Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

30 year old evicted by parents

Meat Grinder

FGM Lieutenant General
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score

I know in some cultures it is perfectly normal to have multi-generational households. Here in the USA it is a badge of honor for a young adult (a male especially) to move out of his parents' house and "make his own way" in life. That seems to be less and less common with the millennial generation. When I was a senior in high school, my father told me, in no uncertain terms, that I could continue to live in his house until I graduated college, whereupon I would be expected to move out. That is exactly what I did. Immediately after college, I was offered a full time job, which I accepted. I found an apartment and moved out, post haste. This was in 1988. To be honest, I couldn't wait to get out on my own. It was the greatest day of my life, right up there with getting my first car. I have never asked my parents for a dime since that day, and often (especially now that dad is elderly) go over to their house and help them with things.

Now, I don't know the "young" man in this video, but he doesn't appear to have any mental or physical disability. If I were to give him some advice, I would tell him to get a haircut, shave, get in better physical shape, and find a job. I guess I'm starting to sound like my parents. :)

I was reading about this earlier and just shaking my head.

<snipped>
It was the greatest day of my life, right up there with getting my first car. <snipped>

Err, Doug? Don't let your wife see this. :eek:
You were supposed to say . . . , " (car) and my wedding day whereupon I provided my glorious bride our own place to start a loving life together . . . "
Release the Kraken indeed . . . !! :shocknaz:

Here in NZ it’s kind of assumed you’ll move out of home in your late teens / early 20s. Living with your parents at 30 would raise a few eyebrows (unless there were circumstances such as illness or disability)

I moved out of home at 17 to join the military, but this guys attitude is just...weird.

There's a growing number of young people locked out of the property market that's causing more and more to remain at home for longer. Particularly if they are saving for a deposit for a house! However this story fits into that 'just plain weird' basket.

I left the homestead when I was 23 (after college, if you call it that), after 18 years I moved back to look after my mum after my dad died, I'm not married by the by.

That young man doesn't work (probably smokes to much pot, note I said to much), and the only way he'll get a job is when he has to pay his own bills.
Hence the parents are been cruel to be kind.
I'm with Ithikial regarding property prices, house prices (in Ireland especially) are ridiculous, increasing 20% every year.

I Joined the Air Force at 18 as in 1975 the job situation here was lousy. I couldn't imagine living with my parents being asked the questions of
"Where ya goin?"
"When ya gonna be back?"
When with my generation when you were 18 you were a "Man"
But thats just me....

This guy is all over the news now. Just google "30 year old evicted". He's going to be an internet meme.

Watched a couple of interviews......... and now I'm not totally convinced that he doesn't have some sort of mild mental disability. Either that, or too many drugs, as @Nathangun pointed out.

Or he might just be lazy as shit. Hard to say.

I can't speak for all the millenials, but as it stands I'll be moving out as soon as possible once I finish my postgraduate. My girlfriend has also the same intention, so I guess it will be easier to afford an apartment. I honestly can't understand how people at my age and higher can feel perfectly OK with continuing to be an economic burden to their parents, it just saddens me.

Back