Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

AAR: POS v AI

P

PoorOldSpike

AAR: QB v AI
Small size Attack, Armour only, POS defending as Americans against German AI. Turn-based, Basic Training level

d1-1.gif

The field-
d2.gif

My computer-generated force-
d3.gif

I place all 4 tanks (circled) in the lane so they'll get side shots on anything emerging from the gaps (arrows).
IMPORTANT- In this setup phase click a unit and select 'Target' so you can stretch its light blue LOS line around the map to see what it can see.
My Shers can see along the road but not across bocage, and that's ideal. I shall 'own' any enemy crate that come onto the road..:)
The HQ are watching the lane on the lerft, and I'm holding my Priest and 2x halftracks well back for now.
I've placed nothing in the Obj Area in case they get an arty bombardment in their laps-
d5.gif

The game begins, and the AI drops a poncey smoke barrage-
d6.gif

But it's only a diversion and a Stug comes sniffing around a gap in the bocage-
d7.gif

and is toasted.
Incidentally my Shers can't see through the bocage into the ploughed field because they haven't got their noses in the leaves; I deliberately kept them back from it so that it'd give them cover from anything approaching frontally through the field because I didn't want a frontal battle, I wanted side shots..:)
And the only reason I placed them facing the boc is so that they'd be able to pivot left or right quicker to present their front armour to whichever gap the enemy came through, right or left.
d8.gif

Suddenly one of my halftracks goes up in flames, I can't see what fired, but from the angle of the tracer the perpetrator must have come through the circled gap, the only gap I hadn't got covered. I thought the htrack was safe behind low bocage but obviously not-
d9.gif

Suddenly all hell lets loose, a gaggle of light armour comes trundling through the centre gap and a Panther breaks cover on my right flank.
My Shers quickly fry the lights and one get a shot against the Panthers side, but it ricochets!
Note how the Shers automatically begin pivoting to face the threats without me having to issue 'Face' orders-
d11.gif

Meanwhile my Priest gets in on the act by pouring 105mm HE into the fleeing German light armour crews at the centre gap, proving again that low boc doesn't block veh LOS-
d12.gif

Briefly halting, the Panther brews a Sher-
d13.gif

and a Stug races past going hard for the objective area, but a shot neatly takes him out. Another Sher takes a pot at the Panth, but its shot hits the low boc (circled) so obviously low boc does sometimes interfere with a shells flight-
d14.gif

At the moment none of my remaining 3 Shers has LOS on the Panther, but rather than hunt him down, I decide to sit tight and let him walk into my fields of fire when he resumes his advance on the objective. "It is best that the customer should come to the shop"- Manfred von Richthofen
I use the 'Target' line to check LOS, the blue lines indicate it's clear-
d15.gif

And it works like a dream, the Panth starts moving and is almost immediately hit by two simultaneous shots.
As usual the enemy AI makes every mistake in the book, presenting side armour shots to my boys, operating in sloppy loose uncoordinated attacks etc..
d16.gif

It's nothing personal muchachos, strictly business-
d17.gif

11 turns gone, 19 to go, surely the Gers have nothing left to throw at me?
I move my halftrack and Priest into the objective area to get occupation points at the end of the game. (the manual says just one unit will do)
d18.gif

But the Gers launch one last attack by sending a PzIVH (circled) through the centre gap, and a Stug down my right flank.
The Pz and a Sher kill each other in a simultaneous exchange of fire, and another Sher picks off the Stug-
d19.gif

And the game automatically ends, I guess jerry had run out of tanks.
X's mark the dead 'uns on both sides-
d20.gif

d21.gif

SUMMARY- the AI is easy to beat and I only posted this as a training tutorial for noobs, although I'm still a CMBN noob myself because I've only had the game 10 days!
Note- throughout the whole game I never issued a single fire order, I simply let the tanks choose their own targets, nor did I issue any 'Face' orders or 'Firing Arc' orders in case it confused them..:)
It's fun to put our tanks into positions where they can strut their stuff and do the most harm.
"I have a high art, I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me"- Archilocus (Greek mercenary) 650 B.C.

Looks like the AI in CMBN is no better for attack than in CMx1...

very nice AAR there, Mister Spike. I got curious and am playing one in Designer difficulty. I am defending a town as Germans and doing nothing. Its interesting to see how the AI attacks. We differ in how we use our trucks/jeeps. I'm fond of the gamey jeep rush.

So waht's the point? Take on human opponents and we'll see how you do then. Or play a scenario on "Elite" or "Iron" with a good AI plan - every idiot with half a clue and half a brain can beat that AI... :tongue1:

So waht's the point? Take on human opponents and we'll see how you do then. Or play a scenario on "Elite" or "Iron" with a good AI plan - every idiot with half a clue and half a brain can beat that AI... :tongue1:

Momma said that I shouldn't point cause it's rude. She also said that people like me shouldn't have little ones because God hates ugly.

I agree that this sort of testing isn't good for play vs real people with real brains but I have played some stupid and distracted people in the past. Also if they are stupid/distracted & intoxicated, you can ambush them silly while denigrating them with expletives. I would recommend with "Yo Momma" jokes in Dutch. Accuse them of fjord hopping and let them ask for a cease fire.

Regarding my glaring intelectual ineptitude, I have lost to the AI often because I've forgotten much of what I used to know about strategery.

Back