Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Aircraft Carriers = floating coffins?

One of the nice feature of major warships is they have the ability to produce electricity on an industrial scale. And the lasers already being tested in the US Navy do not need a massive supply of power like older lasers. You can find plenty of reporting and video on the various US Navy laser programs, for example see below. Lasers are not the answer to all problems, but they are a potentially great solution to the cruise missile problem.

Naw it's much simpler than that. They want to be an existential threat to Israel and there by ensure the US will not preemptively take out the regime. Mind you they actually did agree to pull back from their program in order to impove the lives of their citizens - well the political class managed to get a deal done over the objections of the republican guard that wants to continue to keep the spoils of the dictatorship in their hands.

Again the threat of such a thing will ensure the Kim regime will continue to be able to plunder the country.

Intercepting hypersoinic or sub sonic doesn't really change the math any. It just means all the components have to perform faster. In other words a solvable problem.

I am not convinced that lasers will work actually. The power needed is pretty dramatic and unlike an explosion that just needs to be in an appropriate proximity lazers need to be spot on and maintain tracking. It is a solvable problem too just the power one doesn't have a current practical solution.

Regarding Iran, yes, they want to be a threat to Israel but they also want to be a threat in the Middle East period.

Kim is Kim, anything is possible with that guy.

Yes, but I think someone will develop an offensive hypersonic before there is a coutnermeasure. However, what is the velocity of a rail gun round? Railgun CIWS maybe?

I am not thinking lasers work either for the same reasons you don't. Maybe we need to go back through Tesla's notes and see how far along he was with the death ray tech.

One of the nice feature of major warships is they have the ability to produce electricity on an industrial scale. And the lasers already being tested in the US Navy do not need a massive supply of power like older lasers. You can find plenty of reporting and video on the various US Navy laser programs, for example see below. Lasers are not the answer to all problems, but they are a potentially great solution to the cruise missile problem.

You are right, the speed of light is faster than hypersonic, but I still have my doubts. I would think a laser does not work in rain, for example.

Back