Panzerknacker

FGM Corporal
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
I also commanded just one battle in the last turn.
But I wonder why I already have one Battle of the Bulge Campaign Ribbon?

I guess you're talking about that ribbon right? :D

Zinzan

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
zinzan1963@googlemail.com
@Badger73 is psycic and brilliant, that's why @Panzerknacker - That's the official story anyway, and the FGM secret police would appreciate your co-operation in this matter (y) (Oh Gawd HE'S in a good mood, must have had some sleep.)

Zinzan

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
zinzan1963@googlemail.com
Just adding my official thanks to all the participant, both the dastardly allied scum and the heroic fighter for the Vaterland, and wish to add my deepest thanks to the fabulous, Handsome and most glorious @Nathangun.

TA-DA and they said I couldn't be nice, I'll show em!

Panzer_Kraut

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
winterbachj@yahoo.com

Nathangun

FGM Colonel
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
nathangun@gmail.com
Four years is a long time to run a campaign, and I've learnt a few things about running a CM campaign.
First off, using the board game rules (while a good template and useful) didn't fill out all the gaps needed to run a CM campaign, hence some rules changes were needed while the campaign was running.
Building the battles was time consuming, trying to make both players happy meant going back over to adjust things and I'd always make a mistake on one battle on very turn, to many battles, some times 5 or 6 a turn and not enough time to do them. It might have been better to have both teams to their turns at the same time, the campaign would have been done by now.
So that's why I changed the rules so battles can be fought as QB's, less hassle but open to mistakes by players (instead of me) but I didn't like this arrangement, I preferred keeping the "in situ" OOB's, I noticed some players grew attached to the units they fought with over several battles.
After the last set of battles when in both a German infantry company with tank support were defending against a Allied battalion sized forces or on the campaign map two Corps (One British one American) fighting against two Divisions. It became clear has the Allies were going to win, they had superior VP's and the OOB became lopsided.
My heart just wasn't in it any more.

Bulletpoint

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
1 game.
I preferred keeping the "in situ" OOB's, I noticed some players grew attached to the units they fought with over several battles.
This is one of the things that would attract me to participate in a campaign. That I could keep fighting with the same unit, taking losses, hoping for reinforcements but doing my best with what I have.

Campaigns where I would have to jump in and fight some battle somewhere, then on next turn I'm fighting somewhere else, wouldn't appeal to me in the same way.

But of course that also needs players to always be ready to fight the battles that their units are involved in.

Concord

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
concord@iinet.net.au
After the last set of battles when in both a German infantry company with tank support were defending against a Allied battalion sized forces or on the campaign map two Corps (One British one American) fighting against two Divisions. It became clear has the Allies were going to win, they had superior VP's and the OOB became lopsided.
My heart just wasn't in it any more.
From the Allied point of view, we were the underdogs.
The Axis had many fine units from the start, and new ones just kept arriving. Veteran and elite units, mechanised, and armoured that included heavy tanks.
The Axis had numerical superiority as well, and battle after battle was fought defending against odds of 2 or 3 to one, and often against armour with no Allied armour to defend.
I think we put up a good fight. Many desperate battles. Even the ones we lost, we often managed to cause significant attrition to our attackers.

The scattered units we had at the beginning were quickly engulfed and surrounded.
We lost several units in the first half of the campaign, and the Axis lost none.
When I took over as CO, my goals often consisted of simply saving units from utter annihilation, and trying to slow the seemingly unstoppable flood of Axis units.

The Axis had managed to capture tons of fuel points, so that they had no worries about that for the rest of the game.
They had captured many high value victory locations (including Bastogne) and the VP situation was at a tipping point.

I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say things looked pretty grim for the Allies for the entire campaign...except for the final turn.
This turn saw the largest single Allied reinforcement arrival of the campaign...one that we had been waiting for and planning for.
But this surge wasn't a game changer in my opinion. It only helped address the balance somewhat.
Even though we were able to destroy 2 Axis units this turn, Allied numbers would never catch up to the Axis unless we destroyed lots of divisions - not an easy feat.

That said, we were looking forward to having enough numbers to take back some initiative in the campaign, and plan our offensive.
So far most of our moves had been purely defensive. Some turns we had no moves to plot at all, because all of our guys were surrounded and out of supplies.
I wish the campaign had continued, so that we could have tried outmaneuvering the Axis and keep them off balance. Maybe even rescue some of out cut-off divisions that were still holding on.

PhilM

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
philmaynard1@mac.com
@Concord ... great post, sets out my exact thoughts too!!

And I hope I don't make you blush by saying that it was very fortunate for the Allied side that you did take over when you did (without meaning any disrespect at all to our previous commanders ...!!), as you managed superbly to marshall that holding on and - finally! - being able to switch to the initiative for what turned out to be the last turn.

FWIW I'd been looking forward to the OOB odds switching a little in our favour! It is news to me that it had become clear we were going to win :)

Again FWIW, IMO the overall campaign - if it is to be at all "historical" - should be structured so that the Allies (almost certainly) win, given the real-life historical forces (especially air power) and the overall strategic situation; the challenge for the two sides should respectively be "winning better" / "losing better" than in real life.

If a Bulge campaign is set up (forces composition, reinforcements, victory targets, movement rules, etc) so that the Axis can actually "win", then it becomes fictional rather than a Bulge campaign.

Bulletpoint

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
1 game.
I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say things looked pretty grim for the Allies for the entire campaign...except for the final turn.
Sounds like you played two different campaigns :) Maybe the effects of the fog of war?

Concord

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
concord@iinet.net.au
I should have a closer look at the strategy map on the Axis side to try and see what made @Nathangun think that. :)

Concord

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
concord@iinet.net.au
Had a quick look at the forces at game end.

12 vs 7 armoured units
15 vs 12 infantry units

Looks like the Axis still hadn't lost the upper hand in force strength.

The Allies had lost 5 divisions and 4 task forces, while the Axis had previously only lost one division...until the previous turn when we managed to eliminate both KG Peiper and 2nd SS Pz Div.

AXIS

A total of 12 armoured units.
1 x 30% strength
2 x 50% strength
4 x 70% strength
5 x 100% strength

A total of 15 infantry units.
1 x 50% strength
3 x 60% strength
1 x 70% strength
1 x 80% strength
1 x 90% strength