Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

ARMA3 WW2 Scenario *Gameplay*

@Ithikial do you have a list of the mods you use?

@DoubleD how do you set up a MP server?

It's been a long while since I created a server. It used to be fairly easy, it was all in the MP access screen, you just needed to be running all the mods etc. You had to make sure your router had the ports open, there's was a number of YouTube vids how to do it. YouTube is probably be the best place to look as it's a couple of years since I ran one and it's probably changed. I'd have a go at running it, but my computer is a bit on the low spec end nowadays.

We used to find 13:30 GMT/UT on a Sunday was a time which worked across the global. US morning, Aussies evening and Euros midday :singer:

Best thing is for me to take you on a 1 to 1 test drive. :)
Do you have a microphone?

I do but I've never used it! The earphones work very well.

steelseries-siberia-v2-red-non-usb-gaming-headset-04.jpg

I played some solo FPS a while back (Call of Duty) but am intimidated by on-line team play for a number of reasons which include; 1) incredible ignorance and aversion to personal stupidity, 2) obvious bad behavior and team-fragging by players in much of what I have observed, 3) inability to determine which game(s) might suit me best, 4) not knowing anyone else to play with, 5) lack of time for this in the past. I appreciate your offer, @Bootie. PM me when it suits you. Thank you.

Ok, so I've set up a WW2 template using the mods listed by @Ithikial however I have removed the 'Immersion Cigs' mod ( https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=753946944 ) due to some concerns.

I have also included the 2 following 'baseline' mods for anyone completely new;

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=450814997
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=583496184

Other than the mods listed for the WW2 immersion, I won't be running any other mods such as ACE or TFAR even though I am a huge fan of ACE & TFAR. This is so that at this stage at least we can get people up and running quickly and run a mission.

What I am looking for is a guinea pig to help me test the template, just to check that someone can login from outside and that the basic functionality works - revival, communication etc. Is someone available tomorrow (Saturday 04/08/18) between 9am and 11am (BST) who has ArmA and these mods ready to go? If so can you get let me know and we can arrange a suitable method of communication for tomorrow.

Are we getting the band back together?

@Josey Wales Double has it right. You'll need to look up which ports to open up on your router for Arma. It's like 2306 and some other port iirc. Make sure your firewall doesn't block those ports either. To actually set up the server, go into multiplayer>host server>set your server params. Make sure you select Internet and check mark the UPNP box.

@Badger73 Arma 3 has a boot camp "campaign" that will teach you how to play the game. Alternatively, since we're in the same time zone, I don't mind helping you out either.

I played some solo FPS a while back (Call of Duty) but am intimidated by on-line team play for a number of reasons which include; 1) incredible ignorance and aversion to personal stupidity, 2) obvious bad behavior and team-fragging by players in much of what I have observed, 3) inability to determine which game(s) might suit me best, 4) not knowing anyone else to play with, 5) lack of time for this in the past. I appreciate your offer Bootie. PM me when it suits you. Thank you.

@Badger73 I hope this doesn't infringe on forum rules but here is a vid from an ArmA session I played in 2015 with a group I was involved with. The emphasis is on 'tactical realism' and is different from most FPS vids you will see on YouTube and games where you play on a public server. Although not perfect, emphasis is on teamwork, good communication and fire and manoeuvre.

I am narrating through the video and am playing as a medic although the medic system we are using is very basic.

@Badger73 I hope this doesn't infringe on forum rules
<snipped>

Not at all! (y)
This is why we have these forums. Thank you for posting.

I spent the afternoon on Steam watching Dslyecxi's "Arma 3 Community Guide Series". That and your own video are very helpful. @Bootie gave me a short tour as well.
I've added Arma3 to my wishlist; just waiting for it to go on sale.

Thanks to everyone who's contributed to this thread.

Ok if anyone has some free time this weekend and has the listed mods installed and loaded can you let me know if you have any availability to test my server.

If you can list suitable times (BST) then I can try and make myself available so we can jump on and iron out any issues before I run a session.

@DoubleD yes 4pm sounds good. I'm on Steam - same name. Drop me a message and we can take it from there. I was just thinking of using the in game VON for now as it's straight forward. We can build on the comms & mods if this becomes regular and has enough interest.

Back