Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Armament, Equipment, Strength...

Sempai

FGM Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Dear Comrades,

Due to my lack of success to find the "answer" by my own I ask You for some help! Since a longer time I´m looking for exact data of the Großdeutschland-Division. That means: How many men per troop, group, platoon...? Howmany companies per Batallion...? And so on. Further what kind of weapons and how many of what? How many tanks/APCs etc. had the concerned paltoon...?
So far I was only able to find one very general holded OOB for 1940. But there isn´t listed how many StuGs a StuG-Abteilung had. Comrade Uffz.Braun was so kind to send me three OOBs for 1941, 1942 and 1944. Nice made but still too general. Would someone be so kind and push me into the right direction, please? Every help is appreciated.

Greetings

@Sempai, here is some English language information.

Die Deutsche Wehrmacht
Click on "Heer". Go to VIII and click on "Infanterie-Divisionen (mot.)". The last unit listed is "ID (mot.) "Großdeutschland" / Wehrkreis III / Aufgestellt: 12.03.1942. Click on 'ID (mot.) "Großdeutschland"'. If that information is meaningful, consider emailing the site owner (panzertod@web.de) and ask if he might know where to find the detailed information you seek.

GROSSDEUTSCHLAND DIVISION by Simon Jennings
He shows the July 1944 Sturmgeschütz Brigade GD as follows:
Abt HQ: 1 HQ StuG IIIG, 1 Quad 20mm FLAK (self Propelled), 1 Recon SMG Motorcycle Platoon
3 Batteries each with: 3 StuG IIIG or StuG IV

Also Avalanche Press - Grossdeutschland 1943 has a wargaming OOB that may prove useful to you.

I hope this helps. Good hunting!!

Thank You very much, Badger73! The second link is better as all what I found so far. But means that it is used for wargaming that it isn´t as in reality was? In every case I´ll have to engage myself in that site to unerstand all what is noticed around the topic. Sadly no info how the strength of the single platoons were and what weapons they carried. If I read about SPWs 250/1 I assume the carried platoons were only 6 to 8 men strong. Nevertheless it will help me a bit, I think. Thanks again therefor!

Greetings

@all: Further help is still appreciated! ;)

That looks very good! Thank You as well, Neill! Maybe that and the stuff of Badger73 plus what I found myself will finally depict what I´m looking for.

Have a nice evening yet!

Back