Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

**NSFW** Australia Appreciation Thread

zaEGA07.png

Some Aussie work slang for the benefit of @Rico and the rest of the FGM. :p (Facebook post earlier today)

Generally ending in a 'y' or an 'ie' is both acceptable.

Trady/Tradie – a trades-person
Chippy – a carpenter (they make chips when the cut up wood)
Sparky – an electrician (they make sparks when they make electricity)
Bricky – brick layer
Dunny diver – plumber (they fix toilets, also known as dunnies in colloquial English) (this is less commonly used)
Shitter fixer - as above
Shitter = toilet
Shiny bum – office worker or executive (because they sit on their bottom all day so it gets shiny)
Desk driver – same as above
Ivory tower – where a shiny bum works and is separated from understanding what the ‘real’ people do
Shrink – psychiatrist
Doc – medical doctor
Quack - a not so good medical doctor
Garbo or Garbologist – a garbage (rubbish) collector. Garbologist is a joke because it makes it sound like a sophisticated job.
Digger – Australian soldier (from when they dug trenches in the 1st World War)
Milko – milkman ( or woman) who delivers the milk to your doorstep
Checkout chick – cashier (for a female and usually in a supermarket) * Not everyone likes being called a c.c.
Yakka - hard work
Poly - Politician (also because of Poly is slang Parrot which just repeats garbage)
Ambo - Ambulance Worker/Paramedic
Dole bludger - Someone on welfare
Jackaroo - A stock man/cattle rancher, usually the younger workers. (Note Cattle stations in Australia can be as large as small countries).
Jillaroo - Female version of the above.

Dunny diver – plumber (they fix toilets, also known as dunnies in colloquial English) (this is less commonly used)

I heard this before (as well as some of the others). In Dublin young lads would give each other nick names, taking either the first name or surname and adding a 'er' 'o' or 'y' to the end, as my surname is Dunning I've been called Dunny these last 28 years.

MAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.....

Not exactly the english I learned at school or hear at the BBC, but I managedeventually to understand most of what he said.

Most of the country is baking in temperatures above 35 degrees celsius this summer. Except the north east of of Queensland where they are having record rainfall this past week. Floods bring a certain problem to these parts... Crocs in flooded surburban streets.

Back