Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Battle 2# - Day 1 Dawn (Center) Odin

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Dutch Grenadier @DasTiger @Ithikial My battle with Strachwitz is finally underway. The shots below show my deployment:

I have two companies of infantry in the centre, pulled back sightly from parts of the village and woodlands closest to the river - as I think they'll receive a hammering from Soviet barrages if positioned too close to the crossing. Posiionted to the left I have a platoon of JdpzIVs. Two of the JdpzIVs are positioned further forward. They will have LOS on the flanks of any enemy tanks attempting to move across the bridges to the left. There are two JdpzIVs further back, currently hidden in a ditch, which will be used engage in some long range duels if needs be. I also have three AT guns to the left which I'd like to remain hidden until enemy armour attempts to take the bridges. These are supported by a platoon of 4 marders.

I have reinforcement armour on the way, but I think if I'm to stop the Soviets my arty is going to be crucial - as I'm hoping I'll be able to cut Russian infantry up attempting to move across the open plains which are dotted with TRPs.

More to follow soon...

Okay, I am about 6 turns into my battle with Strachwitz. As we predicted the Soviets opened proceedings with a massive artillery barrage which I don't think is finished yet. First they hit my frontlines with various batteries of heavy artillery, most if not all 100mm+ in calibre. This has been followed by a huge smoke barrage dropped the length of the crossings and katyusha rockets which looked damn impressive, if terrifying for any infantry caught under them. Fortunately, it seems to have been a prudent move positioning my infantry as far from the river as their deployment zones would allow. However, even taking this into account I would estimate a casualty rate of around 20%, amongst my infantry.

With the Soviets' smoke now blocking many of my units' LOS, a couple of Soviet sound contacts have shown they are rushing units forward to try and take the crossings on the centre left before the smoke clears.

The good news is none of my AT assets have been destroyed or damaged in the opening turns. I have so far sighted two 122mm ISUs and and a JSII. I have moved the two JdpzIVs positioned in a ditch to the rear left of my deployment zones out of their hiding places into hull down positions which have LOS on the two ISUs. They have engaged the Soviet assault guns at ranges of approximately 1500m. After expending a number of rounds to find their range, the JdpzIVs managed to find their targets killing one Soviet tank commander and KOing the other assault gun after achieving a partial penetration of the vehicle's frontal armour.

It's a small victory, with the opening turns otherwise favouring the Soviets, but it at least demonstrates our panzers have the edge in long range engagements, as the Soviet guns got no where near finding their targets. I have also called in a number of artillery barrages to drop on the wide open plain which the Soviets will have to cross to try and take the bridge. Fingers crossed they cause some damage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Strachwitz and I are about 13 minutes into our game and the artillery fire is still pouring in. I've also started to drop 150mm, 75mm howitzer fire, and 120mm and 81mm mortars on the crossing points. The combination of fire from both sides is quite simply ferocious, and I've never seen such a rate of fire in all the time I've played CM.

There is good news and bad. I'll start with the bad which comes on two fronts. First the Soviets have managed to move a forward party across the river over the centre left crossings where thir attack seems to be concentrated. With all the smoke they've dropped my armoured units have not been able to get LOS on these units and I can't be sure how much they've moved across.

However, before the photo above was taken, I think a tank hunter team positioned by the railway bridge might have blocked vehicles from crossing the bridge by taking out an armoured car with a panzerfaust - although I can't be sure the bridge is blocked to enemy vehicles. If they have blocked the bridge, this will leave the Soviets with just two crossing points on the centre left of the map. I haven't seen enemy units moving towards the crossing to the right in front of Dybrow.

The other bad news is that the Soviet artillery barrage has continued unabated. And they have started to drop artillery fire further back. I would now estimate the casualty rate amongst my infantry to be 30-40% with the company to the left hit particularly hard.

A marder and stummel have also been taken out by the barrage.

The good news is my counter artillery strikes have started to land, with the 150mm shell fire from the off-map hummels dropping around the crossings which the Soviets are using. Because of the vast quantities of smoke covering the battlefield I've struggled to see how much damage our artillery fire has caused. I have though made intermittent visual contact with enemy units around the crossing points and lots of Soviet sound contacts where the shellfire dropped. At one point I saw a T-34 with infantry riding on the back, so if that's how the infantry are being transported fingers crossed a good number have been killed or wounded by my counter bombardments. I also think the Soviets dropped some artillery on the edge of the woods which would have inflicted casualties on their own side.

The smoke is now finally starting to clear, so over the next few turns, provided no more smoke is dropped, my Jagdpanzers will start making visual contact with the enemy and I'll get a better idea of the situation. As you can see from one of the photos above, one of my units briefly saw some Soviet trucks moving across the plain on the other side of the river. Fingers crossed the smoke will clear and my panzers will take care of them :D.

This post covers seven turns, stretching from the thirteenth to the twentieth minute of the battle.

With the smoke screen finally start to lift, it's clear that the battle is on a knife edge. Strachwitz has managed to push infantry and armoured vehicles across the river. Because of the hammering the woodland received during the opening Soviet barrage, I don't have any infantry positioned in the woodland directly in front of the three crossings on the centre-left of the map that Strachwitz is using. Meaning I can not be sure as to how many men he has moved into the woodlands which form two of my three terrain objectives. Given their significance I also presume that they form of part Strachwitz's terrain objectives.

Unfortunately the armoured car I knocked out crossing the rail bridge with my tank hunter team doesn't seem to be blocking the crossing as I've seen 2-3 T-34s moving over the bridge. During the fourteenth and fifteenth minutes of the battle the intensity of the bombardments form both sides slacken significantly.

The smoke clears allowing the two marders in the woodland and one of the JzPzIVs to target some of the enemy T-34s.

The JzPzIV knocks out a T-34 and one of the marders penetrates, although I don't think KOs, another enemy T-34.

The JzPzIV fires an opening shot at a T-34

Unfortunately the marders are knocked out as an enemy tank shell slices through one, the shell then KOs the marder positioned behind it. The JzPzIV is all knocked out in a seperate incident.

The infantry company to the left was hit particularly hard by Soviet artillery. I'd estimate around 60% were taken casualty with the survivor's morale battered.
The loss of the two marders and the jagdpanzer were undoubtedly a lost opportunity given the fields of fire they had on the enemy armour moving across the bridges. That aside, as you can see from one of the photos above, although the smoke directly in front of the woodlands has cleared, the Soviets continue to drop smoke to the left of the crossings, meaning my other jagdpanzer positioned further forward remains unable to view the enemy throughout these series of turns. However, given the quality of the assault gun's position, I decide not to move it as once the remaining smoke clears it should have good fields of fire.

My two Jagdpanzer IVs positioned further back continue to cause the enemy problems. They manage to knock out both of the trucks moving across the plain on the other side of river. A cluster of red crosses show they obliterated the infantry travelling in the trucks. Combined with fire from one of the PAKs the jadpanzers also hold the upper hand in the duel which has resumed with a platoon of ISU-122mms, positioned along a tree line some 1400-1500m away from the JzPzIVs. Although the enemy assault guns' armour manages to deflect a number of shells, the PAK and Jadgpanzers manage to achieve partial penetrations, knocking out one ISU and forcing another to retreat. Unfortunately a well aimed shot, fired just before the surviving ISU retreats, manages to knock out the PAK.

The two Jagdpanzers which are causing the enemy problems, with their hull down positions making them a difficult target to hit.

The two panzers take out a couple of trucks laden with infantry

Lots of red crosses :)

Two ISUs come under fire from the circled PAK and Jagdpanzers

One is knocked out while the other is forced to withdraw after its armour is partially penetrated

Unfortunately the retreating ISU knocks out the PAK just before it pulls back

Twenty minutes into the battle, I receive a big boost - my reinforcements arrive. These consist of the eleven Jagdpanzer IVs belonging the to 1 Company of the PzAbt19 and three flak halftracks belonging to the battalion's AA platoon. With all the 1 Company's crews being 'crack' level experience, I hope their arrival will be decisive in swinging the battle back in my favour and enable me to destroy the Soviet bridgehead and throw Strachwitz back across the river.

As the reinforcements are positioned around 500m behind my rear positions, and have poor LOS in their current locations, I decide to move them forward to the points marked below.

The reinforcements arrive in two groups, and I decide to move all of them forward. One JzPzIV on a hunt command gains LOS on a T-34 in the woodland positioned a 1000 or so metres away. The Jagdpanzer and a PAK penetrate the T-34s armour. Having received two penetrating hits, I expect the T-34 crew to bail at the start of the next turn.
These new positions will give the reinforcements a much better view of the battlefield. Depending on how much pressure my positions in Dybrow come under, I may decide to move one platoon into the village, as it currently only has one marder and a number of panzerschreck teams providing the defenders with AT support.

At the end of the last turn of this post, enemy T-34s,s come into view along the edge of the left hand woodlands. right at the end of the turn one of them receives two penetrating hits - one from a PAK another from one of the new arrived JzPzIV.

The other bit of significant news is I have once again began to rain down artillery fire on the Stratchwitz's approaches to the bridge, this time from the off-map 88s and a mortar team. I plan to drop more artillery on the woodlands in my objective zones to force the enemy infantry to withdraw.

During this series of turns a few of the infantry units I have positioned in Dybrow come into contact with lead elements of the enemy infantry and an armoured car. The armoured car is knocked out by my surviving stummel, while Stachitz's artillery fire falls dangergrously close to his lead infantry parties.

The stummel knocking out the enemy armoured car

This photo shows most of Dybrow's defenders and the Soviet advance parties

This post covers eleven turns, stretching from the twentieth to the thirty-first minute of the game.

With the battle up until this point edging in favour of Strachwitz, I felt with the bulk of German's reserves now at my disposal I needed the eleven rounds covered by this post to swing towards me if I am to successfully annihilate the Soviet bridgehead. Needless to say, failure and loss the reserves would be disastrous for the German Command, and leave only our 88mm flak between us and our logistics hub at Radzymin station.

With this in mind, I need a good start and indeed events begin optimistically. The crew of the T34, which my reinforcements were firing at the the end of the last post, bail out and the tank goes up in smoke. Over the next minute or so, as my newly arrived jagdpanzer IVs manoeuvre into position none of them are lost to enemy fire. The Soviet artillery fire has now also almost completely tailed off, with only intermittent mortar fire dropping around, but not on my positions, whilst the last of the Soviet's smoke has also finally cleared giving me maximum visibility.

Despite these good bits of news, early on during this set of turns I have cause for concern, as my reinforcements motor towards the enemy bridgehead my carefully positioned JzPzIVs on the left of the map spot a JSII heading for the Soviet crossing points. With the behemoth firmly fixed in their sights the two JzPzIVs fire numerous rounds at the tank, only to see their AP shells bounce off the monster's armour. By the time the JSII reaches the ford at least three shells have dented but not penetrated its armour. One of the panzers also fires at an ISU which has appeared some 1500m away, near where the others were KOed earlier. A shot partially penetrates the Soviet SPG's armour but a dust cloud blows up in front of the hulk and I don't know whether it was KOed or not.

Unfortunately for the jagdpanzers their muzzle flashes draw the attention of two T-34s sitting in a small depression in front of the ford. A few shots are exchanged, only once more for me to see a German AP shell bounce off Soviet armour. With their shots frustratingly hitting but not killing their prey, and being outnumbered at least 3 to 2, I order the two SPGs to withdraw into the culvert behind them, only for one of the T34s to find its range at the last moment and knock out one of my beloved jagdpanzers which have served me so well up until this point.

(@DasTiger@Dutch Grenadier you might want to read this bit) A frustrating experience all round, and with it I wondered why my jagdpanzers' guns had failed to live up to the high expectations I had paced on them. I thought they were armed with the same deadly 75mm gun that the Panther was? Taking note of the tanks' armament (75mm L/48) I check Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jagdpanzer_IV), only to find out that when the Jagdpanzer IV was first produced there was a shortage of L/70 guns, so instead all JzPzIVs built before August 1944 were equipped with the less powerful L/48 or L/43 75mm guns that Sturmgeshuctz and Panzer IVs had. Top marks to Battlefront for their historical accuracy, low marks for my grog knowledge. The lack of punch is going to make it that much harder to destroy the JSIIs. If this experience is anything to go by flanking shots are going to be almost essential. Although if someone out there knows otherwise please set me striaght!

A JzPzIV which up until this point had served me so well taking out ISUs and infantry laiden trucks go up in flames after being KOed by a T34 round

Despite this set back, the smoke hindering my JzPzIV to the far left finally lifts as the JSII reaches the ford and takes up a position alongside the two T34s. Although the jagdpanzer can't quite get LOS on the Stalin, it can on one of the T34s, promptly dispatching it. With this success I decided to adjust SPG's position slightly in the hope that it could spot the other T34. it dis, KOing it in the process, before going on to destroying a truck moving across the open plain over the other side of the river. A series of red crosses, revealed when the truck was hit, that it was carrying Soviet infantry - bonus :D. Unfortunately, the hero of the hour can't see the JSII for the remainder of these turns, but after a bad start a nice little exchange in our favour I thought.

This overhead shot shows the positions of the tanks involved in the duel

Lots of shiny deflection shots, a frightening sight for any panzer commander

The hero of the hour

One T34 is penetrated

There's some nice emmental... gouda work commander

The 'Brucey Bonus'
With the wind in my sails, my reinforcement SPGs start to take up their positions. Strachwitz seems to have halted his advance and hunkers down in the woods in front of his bridgehead, trying to conceal a considerable number of tanks in the Central and Northern Woods. At the same time he seems to be edging infantry with some armoured support towards Dybow, moving along the river bank which is slightly slopped and dotted with trees and undergrowth. I may be wrong but from what I can work out his plan seems to be stay hidden, concentrated, and tick the clock down, leaving me with the difficult job of trying to prize him out of his positions. But with not even a third of the encounter played out, I consider this a risky option, even if it might seemingly be the safest thing for him to do. The woods restrict the his armours' vision making it difficult for him to spot my units. With such a small bridgehead they also provide a concentred area for the remainder of my rapidly dwindling artillery. Perhaps most importantly, I also hold the vast majority of the map surrounding the bridgehead, and although relatively flat, the terrain does offer enough concealment to manoeuvre my forces and surround Strachwitz... which is what I plan to do. I already have some good positions with my two jagdpanzers on the left of the map. So during the turns which this post covers I firm up the centre and the right (Dybow) and start to constrict around the Soviet bridgehead. Manoeuvring SPGs into positions which cover the woods from numerous angles.

Eight of them are situated centrally, overwatching the Soviet held Northern and Central Woods, whose recapture will be key to the success or failure of my encounter. Another platoon of three JzPzIVs move into Dybow, to take up their positions and knock out a significant number of T34s, with only the loss of one JzPzIV over the course of the 11 turns. Before the last of the JzPzIVs take up there new positions my 'crack' crews begin to spot Strachwitz's T34s hunkered down in the woods. With light mortar and 75mm artillery fire dropping on Strachwitz's bridgehead over many of the turns, most of the Soviet armour is buttoned up making it difficult for the commanders to spot my tanks.

Surely enough, one-by-one, T34-85s start lighting up. The Russian tanks look almost incapable of returning fire as over the course of eight or nine turns eight Soviet tanks and numerous trucks are destroyed by my reinforcement JzPzIVs in exchange for the loss of only one SPG. A terrific return, and one which I feel has swayed the battle back in the Germans' favour - provided I can find a way of dealing with the JSII menace.

BOOM! A T34 goes up in flames

One tank driver panics after being penetrated by a German AP shell, only to reverse into the open and be set upon by a pack of ravenous jagdpanzers

Another notch on the barrel

Russian smoke plumes rise high into the sky while T34 is being dispatched

It was not all one way though!

The sense of rejuvenation is further compounded when on the thirtieth minute of the battle the last of my reinforcements arrive. Tese being a platoon of Marders which enter the map from the South East. I plan to move the Marders into Dybow to help repel the impending Soviet infantry assault which slowly seems to be gathering pace.

Fresh meat...

...And the Dybow grinder

Of concern though is a contact made on a JSII which has enter the Northern Woods (I'm not sure if it is the one I had trouble with earlier). I have also seen two JSIIs travelling across the map, I presume either to join the bridgehead, or to try to deal with the two pesky Jagdpanzers I have positioned on my left flank. I have also sighted 4-5 T34s which seem to be gearing up to cross the ford (possible reinforcements?).

Tune in next time to see if these battlefield behemoths can be stopped...

This post covers 23 minutes of play, from minute 31 - minute 53 of the battle - taking us over the halfway point of a 1hr 30min encounter. I'll split this report into two parts, the first covering my counter attack against the woods positioned just in front of the enemy crossing points. The other the fghting in the village of Dybow on my right wing.

To begin with the woods, I left the last post on a relatively positive note; as my reinforcement Jagdpanzers, to use a rugby phrase, were 'smashing it up the middle', focusing the counter attack on the Northern Woods to eliminate the Soviet bridgehead. In the process they destroyed a large number of enemy tanks in return for the loss of only one of their own.

Things start off brightly in this new series of turns. Despite my worst fears about taking on the dreaded enemy JSIIs, I'm able to KO two of enemy monsters which have made it into the Northern Woods, and another just the other side of the railbridge, in return for the loss of only one Jagdpanzer. The relative close range of the enggagement (400m-600m), and overwhelming firepower of line of my line tank destroyers proving too much for the slow rate of fire coming from the JSIIs. Another T34 is also taken out during this initial spell of fighting in return for the loss of another of my SPGs. With the enemy bridgehead greatly depleted I feel confident about my chances of expelling them back across the river. As the last of the JSIIs is KOed, the last of my 88mm Flak shells are dropped on the Northern Woods, targeting Soviet infantry which must be hiding in there.

Scratch one JSII out for the count

The JSII came under a barrage of fire

My Jagdpanzers lined up to assault the Northern Woods

This shot gives you an idea of my Jagdpanzer's location as they assault the Northern Woods The Soviet tank icons are mainly for tanks positioned the other side of the river

A JSII just the otherside of the river between the Northern and Central Woods bites the dust

Then calamity strikes, one of Jadpanzers spots a T34 lying in wait behind a cluster of saplings. The panzer unleashes a shot, only to see it explode in the trees in front of the enemy tank. Seconds later the T34 responds and instantly knocks out my Jagdpanzer. No problem I think, I've got enough tank destroyers and AT guns trained on the front of the woodland to spot and deal with this lone ranger of a tank. How wrong I was, as over the next couple of turns the T34 proceeds to destroy another three Jagdpanzers. At one point in the action I had five tank or AT guns trained on the part of the woods with a clear blue target line to where the T34 was positioned. Despite this none could get a LOS on the hero T34, and I paid dearly for it and another three Jagdpanzers are lost to the T34.

Rambo

... and his victims

So Having successfully stalled my counterattack, the T34 pulls back into the safe hinter of the woodland. Before it 'ramboed' me, the Soviets were in a dyer situation, and I think it's possible the hero of the hour was the last surviving tank left in the Northern Woods.

Despite this frustrating incident, Strachwitz seems to recognise that his bridgehead is in need of reinforcements. Manoeuvring what looks like the last of his armour into a stretch of woodland located just the other side of the river, he seems to be readying to cross. My last armoured defenders being two Jagdpanzers located on the left flank. Unfortunately, the jagdanzer positioned further back has its gun critically damaged by an enemy shell as it tries to engage the enemy tanks, so I pull t back into a ditch and will keep it hidden there for the rest of the game. This leaves me with one Jagdpanzer to try and pin down the Strachwitx's right flank and prevent him sending reinforcements across the river.

My Jagdpanzer survives but has its gun knocked out

My own lone ranger does a fantastic job over the course of the rounds covered by this thread, knocking out one ISU, positioned by the enemy assault guns knocked out earlier in the encounter and then at least another couple of enemy T34s as they try to move across river. Essentially pinning down the enemy's entire right wing, allowing me to counterattack his bridgehead without the fear of more Soviet armour joining the Strachwitz's attack.

My star performer positioned further forwards pins down Strachwitz's right flank and prevents reinforcements moving across the river

Unfortunately the infantry company I originally had defending the Northern Woods, has by this point in the encounter been reduced to a few panicking survivors. Although they manage to reach the edge of the Northern Woods objective zone, they are making very slow work of killing off the last few Russian infantry in woods, as they turn and flee when they come under any sort of Soviet fire. The loss of my Jagdpanzer in the central woods to an enemy grenade shows the danger of moving armour into woodland without close infantry support. So until I can push the enemy out of Dybow and use my infantry located in the village to assault the Central and Northern Woods objective zones I fear I'm going to struggle to expel the last Soviet infantrymen.

I just about manage to reach the edge of the Northern Woods with a few of my surviving greandiers but their morale and numbers are severly depleted making the counter attack slow work.

One of Strachwitz's T34s about to finish off the Jagdpanzer immobilised in the Central Woods

I receive the last of my reinforcements, a platoon of four Jagdpanzers, towards the beginning of the series of turns covered by this post. Two are moved into Dybow, and two to support my dwindling counter attack on the Northern Woods.

Which brings us to Dybow. During the turns covered by my last post Strachwitz had been making steady progress assaulting the village. His intense barrage of the part closest to the bridge at the start of the scenario had killed many of the defenders nearest the river. For the first 10 minutes or so of the turns covered by this post Strachwitz drops harassment artillery fire on Dybow, stretching well back onto my infantry positions. There is little I can do during this barrage, so I hunker my infantry down to see it out. Under his covering artillery fire, Strachwitz manages to make some steady progress, capturing the part of Dybow closest to the bridge, and at one point almost entirely push me out of my Dybow objective zone.

Strachwitz must have brought a hell of a lot of heavy ordinance to his OOB. Here is a shot of another barrage dropping on Dybow, flatening most of the front end of the village.

However, his infantry have little armoured support. With only one T34 in close support, and another tank in the Central Woods capable of providing fire support. As the his barrage drops off one of my newly arrived Jagdpanzers KOs the T34 in close support of the infantry assaulting Dybow. Opening up the part of the village captured by Strachwitz to a counterattack. I begin this in earnest around the 47 minute mark, with about two thirds of my company defending Dybow having survived Strachwitz's bombardments and subsequent infantry led assault of the village. They are supported by 3 Marders and one Sdkfz quad 20mm flak wagon. With much of the front end of the village's buildings flattened by artillery fire, reasonable lines of sight are opened up, allowing me to unleash my infantry's MG42s on the Soviets. The flakwagon proves to be particularly devastating against the Soviet infantry, and by the end of the turns covered by this post they are falling back in disarray and panic.

As the artillery drops off my grenadiers begin their counter attack. Their objective is the recapture Dybow, which will open up lines of sight across the Soviet's approach to the bridgehead.

The flakwagon's quad 20mm guns cut a couple of panicked Soviet infantry to pieces as the Soviets are unable to mount any significant resistance to my counter attack

So there we almost have it... except one last encounter right towards the end of the turns covered by this post. With the Jagdpanzer on my left flank proving more of a tree trunk than a thorn in Strachwitz's right side, and stalling his efforts move reinforcements across the bridge, Streachwitz's drops a number of barrages in and around its position, but to no avail. With all else failing, he decides to role the dice. He rushes his hero T34 out of the Northern Woods towards the Jagdpanzer, which doesn't have LOS on the Soviet tank. Somehow the T34 manages to loop around the small patch of woods which the Jagdpanzer is using as cover without being shot up by one of my AT guns. A the last minute one of the PAKs spots the T34, penetrating its rear armour, but not fatally. As the T34 and Jagpanzer both desperately sin round to face each other, the Soviet tank's turret wins the day, spinning quicker than my SPG can rotate on the spot. The T34 KOs my Jagdpanzer. Seconds latter the T34 is spotted once more by the PAK team who force the crew to bail with a couple of penetrating shots. All in all, a bold move pulled off Strachwitz, which may yet prove crucial to the battle's outcome.

My star jagdpanzer is mercilessly cut down :(

Unfortunately though, it comes a fraction late as my star performer, having knocked out at least five enemy tanks, burns brightly in the early morning sun. Its loss means that the crossings are now once again open, and I see a JSII moving over the river in the midst of Jagdpanzers point-blank duel with the T34. At the end of the final turn covered by this post, I move four Jagdpanzers to a strip of woodland stretching back from the Northern Woods, I can only hope they will spot and destroy any enemy armour moving across the bridge and ford.

My aim for the next few turns will be to counterattack through Dybow with my infantry and push the Soviets completely out of the village. This will enable me to manoeuvre my Marders into a position which will give them flanking shots at enemy armour moving towards and across the Soviet bridgehead.

Until next time, over and out.

Excellent report and fantastic work. You are really hitting him hard and stalling him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back