Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Battle Brothers -- bloody addictive game

If I disappear for a few weeks, I blame it on this game... Battle Brothers... turn-based game where you try and keep a motley band of mercenaries alive and growing in a grim, violent medieval low-fantasy random created world ... fighting bandits, raiders, ghouls, zombies, undead warriors and as you build up skills and weapons and armour your contracts get more dangerous... it's simple to play, survival learning curve is steep...
(might be up @mTk 's alley)
Building up a mercenary group called The Few Good Men... unfortunately by now Shorker The Shaken has fallen ... but the group has grown to 9 members now -- last screenshot didn't work.BB FGM screen 1.jpg
Bootie The Brawler is our double handed ax man (his younger brother Bootie The Bludgeoner, got killed in the 3rd battle by an lucky enemy arrow shot)
Nort the Nauseous is the troop's crossbow veteran
Ithikial the Irritable is the throwing javelin guy
Ted the Hedgehog and Terry the Kid are the frontline shield wall spearmen.

Battle tactics, keeping formation and playing to character's strengths is essential to winning battles...

You march around on a strategic map and then play out battles on these very stylised hex-based maps with all the characters as weird torso/only figures ... the fights are quite violent and visceral.

Amazing fun!

maxresdefault.jpg

(From a Steam review... explains it quite well )

Recruiting Mercenaries, a Guide

1. Enlist a bright-eyed youth who yearns for glory on the field of battle
  2. Give him a battleworn spear and wooden shield, freshly cleaned of the blood of their former owner
  3. Have the veterans teach him a thing or two
  4. Place him in the shield wall, hope for the best
  5. Observe his actions as the mud, blood, and pants-♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ terror of close quarters combat hardens him into a fighting man
  6. Buy him a round at the local tavern to celebrate his first battle scar, he's a Brother now
  7. Let him pick his own gear from the loot, he's earned it
  8. Look on with pride as you train and fight beside him
  9. He's fought and lived through 30 skirmishes, slaying undead, wild beasts, and other horrors, but never lost his optimism
  10. Give him the honour of carrying the Company's Standard into the next fight
  11. It's a tough one, but he rallies his fellow Brothers to push back the enemy, shouting the Company's name
  12. Watch as an Orc Berserker leaps from the breaking enemy line, howling in a blood-rage, and cleaves the bright-eyed youth's head in two
  13. Sigh and repeat
Battle Brothers is the best game of it's type that I've played since the glory days of Jagged Alliance 2. Great gameplay, a fantastic soundtrack, and a grim low-fantasy world to immerse yourself in. It's a shining example of Early Access done right, and Overhype deserves all the praise and money they can get for bringing a true turn-based tactical RPG to the market

Last edited:
Sigh ... the mercenary business is an unforgiving trade...

BB FGM screen 2.jpg

The latest roster for which I have a screenshot ... in the meantime new recruit Poesel The Pillager and veteran Terry The Kid are in the hospital tent... you kinda get attached to these guys.

Odin The Odious is coming along nicely as the new archer after we lost Nathan The Gunn recently... and so is Loius The Lusty as 2nd row pikeman ... although comunication difficulties persist as he only speaks Spanish ;) (we just point him at the enemy and make stabbing motions) :D

BB FGM screen 3.jpg

That's Rico The Ravager ... and I'm in charge of this outfit (from far behind the lines, it seems) ;)

Attacking from the rear - excellent tactic; what else are the peasants for, but cannonfodder. :oops: (ALERT!!, ALERT!! - He's posting without editing again, get your semi-sane butt down here!! :cool:)

You make this game a LOT more interesting than I'd previously thought - might have to give it another look. OTOH I do have a VERY large (careful!) backlog of games I REALLY want to play already.

Alas, the motley band of mercenaries known as The Few Good Men is no more ... managed to build up the troop to 12 men, but in a battle started late last night and finished early this morning, we came up against a band of reanimated, undead skeletons of ancient legionaries at a ruined tomb and stood our ground too long before being overrun and butchered (this was a wayyy too ambitious task for them -- I should've hot-footed it out of there much earlier) ... @Nort the Nauseous was the only survivor... limping away with a gaping chest wound, which got infected before he made it back to the next village or town.
Out of men, money ... time to start from scratch again...

The grisly roster of death... maybe I should get into a different trade, like peasantry... LOL

Alas, the motley band of mercenaries known as The Few Good Men is no more ... managed to build up the troop to 12 men, but in a battle started late last night and finished early this morning, we came up against a band of reanimated, undead skeletons of ancient legionaries at a ruined tomb and stood our ground too long before being overrun and butchered (this was a wayyy too ambitious task for them -- I should've hot-footed it out of there much earlier) ... @Nort the Nauseous was the only survivor... limping away with a gaping chest wound, which got infected before he made it back to the next village or town.
Out of men, money ... time to start from scratch again...

The grisly roster of death... maybe I should get into a different trade, like peasantry... LOL

I always was a good runner. Hey, I lasted longer than mTk!

Back