Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Battle Brothers -- bloody addictive game

Yea, that's known as "save scumming" and I've been doing a lot of it. Currently having financial difficulties. Need a mission with a generous payout.....

It's a good way to learn the game (and you don't have to go right back to the beginning and start all over) ... also did it quite a bit when trying experimental battle ... the "what happens if I attack that brigand hideout or Goblin camp or try out a weapon/strategy mix)

So I went and got Battle Brothers, bloody good game.
It reminds me a lot and I mean a lot of Mount and Blade: Warband. The only difference is during battle it's third person view and the battles are chaotic, you can order your men about but pretty quickly it's a free for all hack and slash.
Back to Battle Brothers, I started the FGM mercenary band and picked the '12 men ambition'.
My funds began to run low and @Bootie deserted due to lack of pay and then @Meat Grinder got killed, well I wasn't gonna get my ambition running an outfit like that.
So I began to cheat a little, before going into battle I would save the game and reload till everybody came out the other side alive, didn't have to do that as much as you'd think but I did it all the the same (the shame of it all).

Here is the dirty dozen as it stands (for now).

fdCVlr0.jpg

@Rico @Rambler @Facman @Ithikial @Nort @Hedgehog @Cargol @Sempai @mTk @Dutch Grenadier

I see you got quite a few of those ancient helmets from the fighting skeletons ... they don't seem to fit too well -- but you have to make do. :)

On the Battle Brothers Wiki page there's this hilarious (yet rather accurate) piece on fighting goblins...

GOBLINS

These green little cunts aren't your typical weak low level monster like goblins in another stories. Oh nooooo.

The best and most scientific words for defining these pesky subhuman scums are "annoying little fuckers".

You think that my reactions are overblown?

Wait until you meet them with your greenhorn band of soon be dead losers who thought that a mercenary job is an easy way to earn a living.

The Wolfriders will catch your running like little bitches sukahs and overwhelm them with a massive amount of attacks.

Skirmishers will throw bolas and nets and then stab you in the face with their pikes so your soldiers will bleed to death if they are lucky enough to survive 1 hit.

Ambushers called Ninja Commando Rangers will snipe your meatshields with their 360 no scope skills and when cornered, they will pull a curved knife from their ass and proceed to stab your heavy armored guys to death.

If you think that is enough, you are mistaken. Just wait for Shamans and Overseers to shit your stuff up.

The only way to win is to not fight.

Or bring big shields, heavy armours and attack them at night or field high leveled archers with big shieldwall cover and eat them at their own game.

Remember kids that you can always outgoblin the goblins, but the outgoblins will always goblin you.

They'll have to do until I get something better.

Hahaha ... that pretty much applies for most of the early-mid game ... you're always "making do" and hoping it's enough to survive.

My fave kit to get is long-axes and pikes for my 2nd row guys -- even as back-up weapons for the archers/crossbow guys (even better if they have quick-hands ability as well)

I've been saving a bit as well. Not prepared to start over just because bad stuff happened and my band got wiped. However, my standing rule is if I just lose one man then so be it. Deal with it. I lost a guy last battle. My group was fleeing the map and he'd taken some damage in the previous fight. Got hit by a long ranged bow shot. I'd like to think the AI isn't smart enough to look for the wounded as primary targets, but maybe! Shite happen!

Last edited:
Ouch! Up to 9 men and took on a rather ordinary looking mob of 8 brigands. They hit me in the arm really hard, made me cry and stole my lunch money!
Having a problem with fatigue. Unless I dispatch the bad guys quickly I only have one action per turn and with my recent hit rate that just isn't enough. I suppose I could reduce my armor a bit, but that just sounds counter-productive. Hmm.

Well, that's NOT fair! Was riding along with my caravan to God knows where when it was attacked by Orcs. Orcs? Really!? My Co. consists mostly of level 4-5 men and the AI throws Orcs at me? WTF!? There were only 6 of them but we only managed to kill one of them and no Orc Warriors. Now I know why. Since I got thrashed so badly I did a little post-battle research to see how I could have done better. Turns out...no chance whatsoever. Orcs are easily 4-5 times stronger than my mercs atm.

Orcs. Really. Geez.

Well, that's NOT fair! Was riding along with my caravan to God knows where when it was attacked by Orcs. Orcs? Really!? My Co. consists mostly of level 4-5 men and the AI throws Orcs at me? WTF!? There were only 6 of them but we only managed to kill one of them and no Orc Warriors. Now I know why. Since I got thrashed so badly I did a little post-battle research to see how I could have done better. Turns out...no chance whatsoever. Orcs are easily 4-5 times stronger than my mercs atm.

Orcs. Really. Geez.

Run, Forrest, run!

Ouch! Up to 9 men and took on a rather ordinary looking mob of 8 brigands. They hit me in the arm really hard, made me cry and stole my lunch money!
Having a problem with fatigue. Unless I dispatch the bad guys quickly I only have one action per turn and with my recent hit rate that just isn't enough. I suppose I could reduce my armor a bit, but that just sounds counter-productive. Hmm.

The fatigue issue is quite important and not usually a thing modelled in wargames ... that's why first upgrade I give all level 1 newbies is the "Recover" and upgrade fatigue as often as I can.

Yeah, I've come to learn that as well...the hard way.
I love my spear men, until the enemy can close on them anyway.

Yeah - spear wall and shield walls rule -- backed by second row mix of pike/long axe men & archers ...

Really satisfying if you get an archer so skilled that he has a high rate of hits with quick shots -- can really spoil Orcs' day...

That's very Byzantine! Front rank heavy infantry spearmen Skutatoi and later Kontarioi backed by rear rank light infantry Psiloi archers. Ave, Basilius.

Then you add heavy back row flankers with heaviest armour/helmets you can afford to sally forth with two-handed swords and axes -- need heavy armour to weather enemy arrows etc as they don't carry shields.

Back