Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Battle Tips?

Check your settings...

Important factors in this game, is the terrain, but I think you know this already.
Also what troops are where... medium and light fight better in forests and rough.
Keep your army together, in a large unit. Supporting each other.

Go to game settings and preference (Top left hand corner)…

Firstly what difficulty level are you playing at (I to VI)?
I am play at IV...
If you select, in your settings:
Close combat report "Detailed"

This will slow your gaming down, but to understand why you lose in the battles.

When selecting your force... if your troops only have bows... don't expect then to battle like swordsmen.

Don't know how you play... we could have a friendly battle!

Lastly it could be your computer... perhaps you have an unlucky rig when given random numbers (Like a dice!) in that case sell it!

Last edited:
I don't have that many options as Watling Street is a set battle. It doesn't sound like you've played it yet so give it a go and let me know how that works out for ya'. It's been smacking me around at difficulty III.
I don't think it's pc luck. I recently upgraded and think I got rid of the bad luck gremlins for a little while. That;s what my tech guy told me anyway.
I haven't been using the detailed combat report (DCR) much as it is just too much reading. Besides, the estimated combat result before the fight is enough for me to figure out what might be worth the attack or not. Bad result I blame on the RNGejus.
Sure. I've not played anything but the AI yet so if you want to baby me through a game start 'er up. I just have the base game and the Roman DLC (so far).

Last edited:
Have played it twice today at level IV and lost on both occasions... but the games were played half heartedly, will it give a serious game later.
Both times lost on 60% rule.
Early thoughts: dammed zombie bands regrouping and coming back... avoid rough ground, certainly not worth your legions fighting over it.

Have beaten this scenario... but may have been level II, when I first brought the game. Have played against opponents and won both sides.

cTA1z3J.jpg

QWwT6GV.jpg

Managed to defeat the Brits on my fifth attempt at level four. (Although first two games were a little flippant!)
How I beat them was to:
Retreat backwards onto the hilltop, keeping my cavalry way back on the back line.
Used my archers to slow down his skirmishers, and absorb their fire.
Enjoyed beaten them so much continue the battle up to 40% losses for the Brits.

Last edited:
<snipped>
Managed to defeat the Brits on my fifth attempt at level four. (Although first two games were a little flippant!)

How I beat them was to:
Retreat backwards onto the hilltop, keeping my cavalry way back on the back line.
Used my archers to slow down his skirmishers, and absorb their fire.
Enjoyed beaten them so much continue the battle up to 40% losses for the Brits.
Kudos on your triumph! Yep, every army fights differently. When outmatched in melee, archery and mobile reserves are the ticket to victory. The luck of the die, however, is out of your control . . . :2charge:

Benefit of withdrawing everything as far back to the forest are:
The enemy has to approach beyond the rough ground... that means all his footmen. (Except the families and rabble).
Forcing them to attack all the way up the hill gives your legions bonuses (fighting uphill).
You have to harries his skirmishers, with your archers... advance to fire, then keep pulling back and firing.
I think with his men all bottled up, they dissipate, rather than flee and return as zombie warriors!
Hope that helps, have fun.

rtDRU8D.jpg

oUAWlCC.jpg

Last edited:
This one was easy I remember. The real battle had the romans choosing that hill as it had almost unpassable terrain in the rear and on both flanks. The brits came to them! So just sit on the hill!

Question: Do ranged units get a bonus for flank or rear attacks?

I assume you mean "missile fire" attacks? I'm not sure. Missile fire is affected by several concurrent things; missile types, number of shooters, elevation of the shooting unit, whether it moved, characteristics of target unit, random results, and so forth. I've not seen any advantage of note from firing into flank or rear. However, positioning a missile unit on flank or rear prevents the target unit from charging it on the next turn.

Sword and spear armed missile units can melee attack too. Their melee attacks gain flank or rear bonuses just like any other melee unit.

Reactions: mTk
Back