Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Battlefront Updates (including bones of upcoming content)

@Ithikial I couldn't agree more with you on the point you made here in the response to the 4.0 patch update from Steve, http://community.battlefront.com/topic/126860-update-on-engine-4-patches/

It always seemed like a bizarre strategy on BF's part to create so many stand alone games, even though the engines are updated to try to keep them in line with one another, rather than make fewer and release DLC which is the industry standard.
I was about to comment again on Steve's reply but chose not to. It doesn't matter if it's programming or data work, project management is project management. Increasing the number of projects you need to maintain makes the chore harder by default.

Don't get me wrong, I'm one of the few that don't mind the upgrade system if it means the older releases are kept up to the standard of newer titles and everything acts the same across all titles - this is something that isn't regularly spoken about but is critical for a good historical wargame IMO. They know there customer base and sales history. They know what proportion buys modules and what proportion only buys base games. I'd hazzard a guess with the exception of those just sticking their toe in the water, it's a pretty high number that buys everything if they like the CM formula and the theatre that's being represented in that family. Why they can't go a little bit more towards a DCS World type of model and relying more on modules rather than brand new families is beyond me. Most of us here are full timers with incomes, a module doesn't have to be $35. Make a module the size and price of a base of game and market it as such to your clients. There will always be the odd protestor on the side, but it will keep our own hard drives a little less cluttered. :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm one of the few that don't mind the upgrade system if it means the older releases are kept up to the standard of newer titles and everything acts the same across all titles - this is something that isn't regularly spoken about but is critical for a good historical wargame IMO.

+1 I would hate to see them stop doing that.

Why they can't go a little bit more towards a DCS World type of model and relying more on modules rather than brand new families is beyond me. Most of us here are full timers with incomes, a module doesn't have to be $35.

I would hazard a guess it just isn't designed for that. They wrote their own engine, they hand wrote their own UI widgets. The world with downloadable content idea is just not something the CM2 was designed to do. It is not about can't vs won't is more cannot with the CM2 engine as it is currently architected.

Oh yeah and cost - agreed - crank up the price it would still be worth it. I know a marketing guys that likes to say if you don't have people complaining about the price of your product your price is too low :D

It would seem the sudden barrage of information can be synopsized as....

1. The long tortured CMFI module development continues to be a long and tortured product. And, since it has been given a certain priority, it got put on the back burner.

2. The newly tortured CMSF II is 'upfront' on the list though bemoaned to be suffering from CMFI-type issues, yet it is actually a family redux. July timeframe? Customers that bought the Paradox product, and that bought the BF $1.00 fix can order at the prices announced. Not bad since they can be had for 6 dollars now, plus a dollar, and then 15 dollars?

3. CMRT is mentioned but it doesn't seem to have any specific issues. Beyond not being a priority.

4. Patches. Specifically for the 4.0 Upgrade. They will be dealt with post CMSF II release. This was the most startling announcement, IMO, considering the issues with the 'Upgrade'. While 'Patches' are 'free', The Upgrade, which really seemed mandatory, was not. Patches for the 4.0 will be incremental. Dealing with just a few issues at a time. Seemingly from one family at a time?

5. CMSF II is touted as being at a 'Patched 4.0 Upgrade' level. I don't believe there are any new features specifically announced, as features have become a Upgrade product inclusion instead of a Family starter inclusion. I suppose CMSF II can be described as the same level as CMBS 4.0 but patched?

Last edited by a moderator:
First three bullets on the list seem a good summary subtracting the personal editorializing.

4. Patches. Specifically for the 4.0 Upgrade. They will be dealt with post CMSF II release. This was the most startling announcement, IMO, considering the issues with the 'Upgrade'. While 'Patches' are 'free', The Upgrade, which really seemed mandatory, was not. Patches for the 4.0 will be incremental. Dealing with just a few issues at a time. Seemingly from one family at a time?

5. CMSF II is touted as being at a 'Patched 4.0 Upgrade' level. I don't believe there are any new features specifically announced, as features have become a Upgrade product instead of a Family starter. I suppose it can be described as the same level as CMBS 4.0 but patched?

4. ? Not sure I get what you are saying. The v4 updated was optional - we could have not bought it. Yes, it needs a patch. Steve also said that he didn't like how they handled the patch and would in the future be making smaller patches instead of larger ones.

5. Yes CMSF2 is being brought up to use the v4 engine as an upgrade. There are a bunch of things that will be added to CMSF2 via this upgrade - all the engine 4 features. There are no content additions planned for CMSF2 (except it seems like drones are being added).

Hopefully that clears things up.

Yes, it was optional (I didn't Upgrade all my families), but so is any purchase. People have to be at the same version level to play each other. All new Family starter purchases are at level 4 now. So, a new customer buying CMRT or CMFB, etc. has no option to be 'V3'. That is my understanding though the website store is vague. Basically, V4 is the defacto standard and support for previous versions is gone. That is not personal editorializing, I believe it is Battlefront's policy.

CMSF II is being brought up to CM2 level, and specifically to v4 and have patched v4 'level'. In other words, it is a new family, for all intents and purposes, and will have the latest level of product development.

. Steve also said that he didn't like how they handled the patch and would in the future be making smaller patches instead of larger ones.

Well, the actual narrative was longer than that, and included some apologetic language, but I think you have the gist of it. Something like 'Hot-fixes'. The issue being that while the Upgrade 4 is applied to each family, a patch for each is a standalone effort (that remains to be seen). Each has to be tested within its own family/modules, and this 'back-end' work, considering the lack of a cash stream, is unenviable. One can only hope that the incremental patch-fixin' takes on the most egregious issues from the Upgrade 4.0 as a priority.

One can assume that the CMFI module, like the CMSF II family, will be at 'Patched V4' level (V4P1) on release. So that it remains to be seen how they handle the next patch effort/release. Since CMRT is supposedly the next on the release, I would assume that it would get the V4P1 treatment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sure hope they increase the ROF for Russian SMGs. Noticeably under gunned in battles.

They only had two drums each....yes, I get the sarcasm.

My pet peeve is that they also show very long range for a SMG. More akin to a AK47. Killing and suppressing enemy troops in brick buildings 200 meters away being common.

One can assume that the CMFI module, like the CMSF II family, will be at 'Patched V4' level (V4P1) on release. So that it remains to be seen how they handle the next patch effort/release. Since CMRT is supposedly the next on the release, I would assume that it would get the V4P1 treatment.

Seems like a good assumption. They have a long track record of new content being released based on the newest engine :) . In fact a few patches have first come out with new content and then the other releases received the patch.

I am not sure what that means. They are surely staying at the V4 engine at this point. They are committing to patching the v4 Upgrade, which was sold as a product. The V4 was released December 2016. That was a year and a half ago. There hasn't really been much released during that time? Including patching the V4 engine. Maybe you can clarify what you mean by patches and new content?

In any case, it seems that they are at least 'learning' from their mistakes. They need to concentrate on getting one project finished and then moving on. I look forward to getting just the CMSF II base game just to see what changes it has. Hopefully, the post release is not traumatic bug-wise. I don't own CMFI, and get the feeling it has become some sort of internal CF for them. If they have lost people, this can only be compounding any problems they have. Hopefully, they rebuild and concentrate on fewer projects till they get a better handle on supporting and releasing product.

My wish is for the East Front 1943. It seems like that is like some dream at this point. I am not all that interested in CMRT modules at this point but would buy just to support them and the east front 'market'. I have lost all track of releases etc., but has it been two years since a 'Family' (CMFB) has been released?

I am not sure what that means. They are surely staying at the V4 engine at this point. They are committing to patching the v4 Upgrade, which was sold as a product. The V4 was released December 2016. That was a year and a half ago. There hasn't really been much released during that time? Including patching the V4 engine. Maybe you can clarify what you mean by patches and new content?

In any case, it seems that they are at least 'learning' from their mistakes. They need to concentrate on getting one project finished and then moving on.

I just meant that typically the issue a patch for the other products along with or right after they release a module or game. I was making no comment on the time it took. For them they can work on the new module and fix bugs as they go. Then release that new thing and then go back to create a patch for the other games. They have done that several times now. Given that their release plans were delayed that means the patch was too. As you said they plan to do things differently in the future to avoid that.

My wish is for the East Front 1943. It seems like that is like some dream at this point.

Just to far out to tell us the plan. At one point Steve laid out their plan for the East as CMRT and modules to cover 1944-1945 and then another game family and modules to cover 1943-1944 followed by a final game family and modules to cover 1942-1943. But he did just say they might revisit doing it that way. So yeah to early to tell us what their plans look like.

I am not all that interested in CMRT modules at this point but would buy just to support them and the east front 'market'.

Good call - they do look at how things sell to guide where they invest.

It would be good if they gave a 'heads-up' as far as what specific issues would be fixed on these 'mini-patches'. This might calm down the customers. Then again, if they did that, and they seemed like they are putting off the worst issues, it might have the opposite effect.

It would be good if they gave a 'heads-up' as far as what specific issues would be fixed on these 'mini-patches'. This might calm down the customers. Then again, if they did that, and they seemed like they are putting off the worst issues, it might have the opposite effect.

They won't really know until they finalize the Patch Release code. Then they'll list issues fixed in the Patch Release documentation they post. The Battlefront website has examples of that from past releases.

Not to sound like a fanboy (which I am) but I have been following and playing Combat Mission since the first Alpha game blew my mind back in 2000.
Steve, Charles and Combat Mission freed me from the encyclopedia that was the Squad Leader rule book (the preeminent of board games) so however they want to play it is OK by me.
I’ll sit back and play it as it comes.

@Badger I believe they are changing what they have done in the past. It remains to be seen. But, practically anyone, that does most anything, can at least give a heads up what's going on.

Not to sound like a fanboy (which I am) but I have been following and playing Combat Mission since the first Alpha game blew my mind back in 2000.
Steve, Charles and Combat Mission freed me from the encyclopedia that was the Squad Leader rule book (the preeminent of board games) so however they want to play it is OK by me.
I’ll sit back and play it as it comes.

I have to agree -- despite all it's frustrations, CM is still by far the best game of its genre . Nothing compares, really -- although quite a few score better in the eye candy department, granted.

Back