Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

BETA - Combat Mission Point Counter (For QBs)

C

coolbreeze

Hey Y'all,

(WARNING, this is all in BETA Stage, mostly looking for feedback and any suggestions for different features)

How many times have we gone into the quick battle editor to when we see a new enemy vehicle or position, and count how many points it was worth, helping give an estimate of how much of the enemy strength we can see. I've done that plenty of times, every time a new enemy vehicle, troop, and or position come up, I check out the QB to see how many points my opponent spent on this, and how many more points I have left to chew through (Perhaps a little gamey). I've created a Combat Mission Point Counter (FOR CMBN (don't know how the game pts compare to other games), which can help count how many enemy (or friendly units) you have on the board, as well as denote damage, how many units have been killed, and the total amount of points spent on each unit (and how many points you have killed). In addition, I think this will be helpful for performing force selection in the QB, allowing for individuals to plan their unit choices without having to load up CMBN all the time.

Essentially, this excel sheet allows players to mark the Nation/Army being used, the Subtype of Unit (i.e. Armor vs Airborne Infantry), then how many of the unit spotted(down to the infantry platoon or mmg section). The excel then calculates the point value using Regular Experience, Normal Motivation, Fit, and 0 Leadership Stats. Furthermore, the excel provides the calculation of the percentage total of points seen/destroyed.

Currently, I only have put in pt values for the U.S. Army., but I am hoping to expand this to all the different nations/armies represented in CMBN. Let me know if you have any suggestions or comments! I have attached below the link to beta version of counter. Let me know if there any issues with it as well.

How many times have we gone into the quick battle editor to when we see a new enemy vehicle or position, and count how many points it was worth, helping give an estimate of how much of the enemy strength we can see. I've done that plenty of times, every time a new enemy vehicle, troop, and or position come up, I check out the QB to see how many points my opponent spent on this, and how many more points I have left to chew through (Perhaps a little gamey).

Use of thinking machines is HERESY!

:2draw:

Nope, too

"How many times have we gone into the quick battle editor to when we see a new enemy vehicle or position, and count how many points it was worth, helping give an estimate of how much of the enemy strength we can see. "

Uh... personally...nope, never...

OTOH I have no concern over other players doing this - but then I don't tend to play QB's, preferring scenarios or campaign games.

Each to their own

huh. Definitely expected more people to try and guess how many points are on the board for their opponent. Guess it's just us few @Hapless

I think I got it from @Bil Hardenberger's AARs on the battlefront forums. Though I don't remember Bil ever going so far as trying to reconstruct the enemy force in the selector.

Another fun one is picking a few units from other formations to try and fake out your opponent- in CMBN, mixing Airborne troops in as the Allies is usually a good shout, even if its just by leading with Airborne scout teams attached to the platoons. Though if people don't look into these things, maybe its a less worthwhile deception that I think!

Well I was noticing that airborne Scout teams are actually cheaper than regular scout teams on regular settings. So it saves a few points as well if you are trying to engage in that deception. Plus airborne mortars tend to have more ammo. One just has to buy enough units to justify the extra 50pt for a different formation.

Originally this idea was just copying Bil Hardenberger's AAR and kill count tables, and just making it an easy way to store information concerning enemy/friendly force composition. I just decided to add in the PT calculator as well for some extra information. Let me know if you have any suggestions for it! :)

I think I got it from @Bil Hardenberger's AARs on the battlefront forums. Though I don't remember Bil ever going so far as trying to reconstruct the enemy force in the selector.

Another fun one is picking a few units from other formations to try and fake out your opponent- in CMBN, mixing Airborne troops in as the Allies is usually a good shout, even if its just by leading with Airborne scout teams attached to the platoons. Though if people don't look into these things, maybe its a less worthwhile deception that I think!

Interesting. I indeed do attempt to reconstruct my opponent's Order of Battle (OB).. this is one of the core-competencies of a good intelligence analyst.. in my latest BETA AAR I had my opponent's OB pretty much figured out by the 11th minute of action. Using a spreadsheet to track points though does seem a bit over the line toward gameyness to me though.

@Bil Hardenberger

I can understand that feeling. Sometime it's best not to take the game too seriously and count every single point value on the board.

Use of thinking machines is HERESY!
:2draw:

Is there a scenario for the Butlerian Jihad? :fisher:
luddite_ai-300x169.png

"How many times have we gone into the quick battle editor to when we see a new enemy vehicle or position, and count how many points it was worth, helping give an estimate of how much of the enemy strength we can see. "

Uh... personally...nope, never...

Yea. Same here. Not a single time have I ever done that. I simply rely on my superior fighting skills.

Something like this would help me greatly in designing scenarios.
Right now I have to create a QB, get an idea of point values are for each side depending on the type of QB, choose the troops for both sides and what their cost would be then go to the editor and try to re-create the QB picks.
I think it was explained before but I never really understood why they didn't give point values in the editor.
And sometimes there are troops you can pick in a QB that you can't get in the editor ta boot.

Something like this would help me greatly in designing scenarios.
Right now I have to create a QB, get an idea of point values are for each side depending on the type of QB, choose the troops for both sides and what their cost would be then go to the editor and try to re-create the QB picks.
I think it was explained before but I never really understood why they didn't give point values in the editor.
And sometimes there are troops you can pick in a QB that you can't get in the editor ta boot.

There are many tiny things they could quite easily implement to make the game more user friendly, but for some reason they don't...

Back