Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Bit of fort defence: ANSWER- Ravelin to protect main gate

P

PoorOldSpike

I posted this fort pic in the pre-WW2 section..

Fort Prince of Wales, Hudson Bay Canada, built by the British in the 1700's to protect trading interests

FortPrinceofWalesHudBay.jpg

And Bootie asked- "I dont get this bit of the defense??"

FortPrinceofWalesHudBay.jpg

I don't get it either, anybody got any guesses what it's for?

Re: Bit of fort defence

No idea but it does sit slightly to the right of the main entrance to the fort.... perhaps men could be fort side of this wall. Anyone entering towards the gate will find themselves under fire from behind and any flanking moves on it would be protected by the main fort walls to either side?

This part (ravelin) protecting straight part of main fortification (walls and gates) from direct perpendicular hit. Triangular shape increasing bouncing possibility and in this case it prevent straight charge at the gate with ram

here is Polish City ZAMOSC
Unconquered till 19th century
plan_zamojskiej_twierdzy_z_1856_d.jpg

and still it looks impressive
zamosc_z_lotu_ptaka.jpg

from WIKIPEDIA

A ravelin is a triangular fortification or detached outwork in front of the bastions of a fortress. Originally called a demi-lune, after lunette, the ravelin is placed outside a castle opposite a fortification curtain. The edges of the ravelin are placed so that the guns there can sweep fire upon the troops that have to run along the fortification curtain. The wall facing the castle/fort is low and the angles of the others such that the ravelin provides no shelter to attacking forces if taken or abandoned by defenders.

The word appears in the Major-General's Song, in which General Stanley sings, "In fact, when I know what is meant by mamelon and ravelin . . ."

Yes Bootie :) this design was based on bloody experience of predecessors without ravelins :)

I doubt that in those days the Eskimos had anything that could take out an igloo let alone a fort!:tongue:

Back