Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

[BOOK REVIEW] The Prince

Nathangun

FGM Major General
FGM MEMBER

41g0vvicMlL._SX316_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

You all might have heard the phrase "that's very Machiavellian" well this book is the reason why.

The Prince shocked Europe on publication with its ruthless tactics for gaining absolute power and its abandonment of conventional morality. Niccolo Machiavelli (1469-1527) came to be regarded by some as an agent of the Devil and his name taken for the intriguer 'Machevill' of Jacobean tragedy. For his treatise on statecraft Machiavelli drew upon his own experience of office under the turbulent Florentine republic, rejecting traditional values of political theory and recognizing the complicated, transient nature of political life. Concerned not with lofty ideals, but with a regime that would last, The Prince has become the bible of realpolitik, and still retains its power to alarm and to instruct.

About The Author

Niccolò Machiavelli (1469-1527) was a Florentine statesman who was later forced out of public life. He then devoted himself to studying and writing political philosophy, history, fiction, and drama.

I found this book an amazing read, the instructions on gaining power echo through the ages and a blueprint for any totalitarian or someone wishing to climb the political ladder.

My score 10/10

I've actually found it useful in RL, together with 48 Laws of Power, to undermine sh*theads and useless, dictatorial bosses. Still valid after 500 years.

Agree, anyone interested in leadership and what authoritarian leadership can lead to should read it. I wrote a paper about it some 20 years ago. Want to find it and read it again since the topic has been on my mind a lot since then.

Just reminded me, it says something like "Mercenaries, dangerous but useless, paid just enough to fight for you, but not enough to die for you." They were all the rage at the time, but Nick saw that they were unreliable. IIRC he organised a Florentine citizens militia, which was actually very effective in defending the city - but one of the factors in his downfall, because the power elites didn't want their ordinary people organised and armed.

Back