Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

[BOOK] White Eagle, Red Star

A

A co

That's the title of Norman Davie's book about the Polish -Soviet war in 1919-1920. I just read it and recommend it highly. Mobile warfare with cavalry, armored trains, biplanes, and early tanks, and of course infantry and arty. It would be interesting to see a war game based on this. This happened when the West had largely given up the idea of fast-moving mobile warfare based on initiative, surprise, envelopment, as the author describes it. Has anybody here read it?

Continuing my thought of books about relatively obscure conflicts, I also recommend 'The Dark Defile" and " The Boxer Rebellion", both by Diana Preston. The first is about the British in Afghanistan in the first half of the 19th century. The second is about the various armies of the world who ended up fighting in China in 1900, and gives very interesting comparisons of their qualities and habits. German, U.S., British, Japanese, Russian, Italian (if my memory serves) all fighting in the same place. Again, both subjects would make good fodder for war games sometime.

Back