Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

British Miscellaneous

Citizens examine the menu while queuing to get into a makeshift canteen during the Blitz. Sept 1940.
ZZO6WEi.jpg

I wonder what the d is?
Two pence?
Ration stamps?

..."Pennies were, confusingly, abbreviated to 'd'. This is because the Latin word for this coin was Denarius"...

This is the closest I found answering your question.
And I saw other images with that "d" abbreviation.

9gQgOw6.jpg

W. Churchill aboard a Boeing 314 flying-boat, in route from Virginia to Bermuda. Jan 1942.

fyZRoLc.jpg

"He flew to Bermuda on Jan 15, 1942 from Virginia aboard the British Overseas Airline Corporation’s Boeing 314 flying boat “Berwick”. The British Prime Minister had been in Washington for several weeks after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on Dec 1941.

Soon after the flight departed for Bermuda, Churchill entered the “Berwick’s” cockpit smoking his trademark cigar, and Capt. Kelly Rogers waived the rules and let him continue, even allowing him to strike a match when it went out.

He tried the controls of the huge craft, as Kelly Rogers whispered into the co-pilot’s ear, ordering him to apply corrections only if it looked as if the plane was getting out of the Prime Minister’s control.

The Prime Minister had visited the island for a secret 24-hour stop-over and addressed the House of Assembly, expressing his gratitude to Bermuda for allowing the construction of US military bases the previous year".

Sir George Elvey Creasy (1895/1972), a Royal Navy admiral of the fleet, holding a model British submarine, Dec 1944 .
Creasy saw service in both world wars. Much of his duty was in submarines or in defense against the U‐boats.
4oA26RO.jpg

Back