Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Can I play singleplayer WW2?

Bulletpoint

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
So I bought the game and downloaded the WW2 mods. Is there any way I can play around in WW2 in singleplayer, or will I have to wait for someone to put up a WW2 server? I just want to run around a bit and fire off various weapons and experiment without screwing anything up for anyone else.

Sorry if this is a dumb question - I'm completely new to this game. Played the modern tutorial campaign and a bit of the main modern campaign, but I'm not so much into modern warfare. Bought the game for the WW2 mods.

Follow up question; Mods.
Different scenario's require different mods. After subscribing to all these mods:
  • Do you have to "un-load" mods not called for by a scenario?
  • Does Arma3 ignore mods not needed for a scenario?
  • Is there something you should do or undo with a mod, scenario by scenario?

Good questions there badger... waiting for answers too...
Just thought to warn you not to overload on mods as some of them are huge...
could not understand why I could not download a few mods for last nights game,
only to find my hard disk was full!

There is in the Game Launcher tab for "Mods". Activating and De-activating is pretty straightforward.
It's seems pretty clear that scenario's won't play if Mods are missing. What's not clear to me is the consequences / impact of unnecessary Mods still being active.

I used to play a decent amount of ArmA and although I never actually ran a server or did any of the scripting for the missions the group I played with I believe I can pretty conclusively say that

You can run other mods as well as the one's required by the mission, unless the host has spesifically told the server that you can only run X, Y and Z mods (might be an option for dedicated servers only - not sure on that). Though running mods that the host isn't running may cause unfortunate errors depending on the mod in question. With weapons you just end up running around with a gun no one else can see or hear, some of the UI mods (like ShackTactical's HUD mod) do mostly nothing and some mods might just end up conflicting with the required mods and cause a crash.

The group I played with had at best (worst) 50 mods running simultaneously with only very minor problems that most of us didn't even notice, but that did take a huge effort in order to test and make sure they weren't conflicting with each other. So you can run many different mods at once, but it does increase the risk of just breaking the game. Like Skyrim players tend to do: mod it, 'till you break it.

So the safest way to go about it is to make sure you only run the mods that the host has loaded themselves (i.e. the required mods).

The ArmA 3 launcher is a good tool and does pretty much everything the mod managers did before Bohemia released the launcher so at least in my mind you don't really need a separate mod manager anymore.

Any you can recommend? I downloaded a D-day scenario, then found it was in fact not single player. Swam ashore and got hit by a mortar, died and couldn't respawn. Realism 10/10.

Then went for the Brecourt Manor scenario, it wouldn't load. Says files are missing but doesn't say anything about necessary mods in the file description?

(Update: I realised there's a "required items" box with additional mods I need to download... trying that out now.)

(Update 2: Downloading the extra mods helped. It still says I lack one file but at least it starts up now. However, my teammates won't follow me through gaps in bocage. Maybe related to another problem: The mission map doesn't match the actual landscape.

And, strangely, when I move a team to advance, the voice order given is "Team Red, move back!" Seems like a bit of a mess to be honest..)

Are there any singleplayer scenarios that actually work?

Or maybe I should just forget it and focus on the multiplayer?

Last edited:
Back