Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Challenge: You pick the side you want to play!

Nemesis

FGM Regimental Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Here are the parameters. You pick the side you want to play!

CMBN--Map 094 (large village)

Probe (US Army Probes German Army)
Large
1 Hour 30 minutes
France
Combat Force: Mix
No force adjustment
Human Unit Purchase
Map Preview allowed
Force Adjustment: No change
September
Day
Clear
Damp
Strict Rarity

Special Rules:

1) No Airpower.

2) The defender may not fire into the attacker's set up zone. No preplanned bombardments for the Defender.

3) No Panthers, Tigers, or King Tigers for the Germans (this includes the tank destroyer variants of these vehicles). No Jumbo Shermans for the Americans.

4) Armor strictly limited to 35% of points.

I'm not accepting this challenge but would like to understand #2 better; "No preplanned bombardments for the Defender."
  • Does this mean "No TRP's for the defender"? If so, I opine that defenders do plot defensive fires and certainly used FPF's (Final Protective Fires) in doctrine and actual practice.
  • Does this mean "No pre-first turn fire missions allowed"? If so, that makes more sense to me as fire missions would be called defensively when/after enemy forces are sighted and assessed.
  • You don't mention an attacker artillery restrictions. Is that an omission or intended as no attacker restrictions?
I have no skin in this game but I'd like to make sure I understand such things more clearly. Thank you and good hunting!

Hey Badger,

Good questions. You will see this rule a lot as I copied it from more experienced players when I first started playing on FGM. To answer your questions:

1) TRPs are fine for the defender.

2) Pre-planned bombardments are those that happen in the first turn (Turn Zero?). You can pick 0, 5, 10 or 15 minute delays. The barrage will land on target with no spotting rounds just like you had TRPs there. An unscrupulous defender (and I have seen exactly one) could target the area just in front of your set up zone, for example, and hit you with a barrage that has a 0 or 5 minute delay. The rule is meant to avoid nonsense like this.

3) You are correct--There are no artillery restrictions on the attacker. Just like in real life, the attacker can shell "obvious" locations to their heart's content.

Theoretically, a defender could use TRPs are still accomplish the "jerk move" of shelling the attacker when they come out of their SUZ. Because of this, In some games, I will put in a rule that says "The Defender can only put TRPs in their own SUZ." On this particular map, the SUZ is huge, so the rule is left off.

How do you make Quick Battle probe missions interesting? As far as I can see, they just play out as attack missions where the attacker is quite weak.

I have the same question. Probes strike me as diluted and weak attacks. The defender has the advantage, not so?

Especially in a city. I'd say the Germans would have a massive advantage defending in this setup.

But a lot depends on the actual map. Probes depend on the objectives for the attacker being easy to achieve.

The problem is that some scenario designers don't know how to do proper balanced maps for assaults, attacks, and probes. So as a player, you never really know what you're getting into.

I would argue that the attacker is too powerful and that probes are just right. But if you disagree, by all means defend against me!

I would argue that the attacker is too powerful and that probes are just right. But if you disagree, by all means defend against me!

Sorry for the late reply. I was tempted to take the challenge, but I have too much on my plate these days. Hoping you find the right opponent.

Back