Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

chess....Alpha Zero Vs Stockfish

My next move was awful, a big mistake that's going to cost me the game. I didn't give it much thought. :confused:

Yea, that was a blunder. :ROFLMAO: Don't worry, I make plenty of those.

Latest move:

The handwriting is on the wall.

I would like to play another, if you care to? I feel like we are pretty evenly matched.

MUST restrain (he means Pompous) LOGIC/Game-Theorey-Philosophy mode..... (Please do, you bore even me!)

No wargame is more elegant than chess, IMO. Everything else just adds randomness and obfuscation.
While I agree, you taught me yourself that warfare and Combat Mission play out much more like poker than like chess.
"Randomness and obfuscation"; how life like! :whistleo:
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, ........Yessssss..ssss, ......................but...... sigh.... (Sense prevails - phew - )

MUST restrain (he means Pompous) LOGIC/Game-Theorey-Philosophy mode..... (Please do, you bore even me!)

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, ........Yessssss..ssss, ......................but...... sigh.... (Sense prevails - phew - )

No. Let's hear what you have to say regarding "LOGIC/Game-Theory-Philosophy". This isn't any kind of challenge. I am honestly interested.

My problem is that I am TRULY AWFUL at chess; surprisingly for my mentors, teachers and parents.
(as he discovered a few lives later that part of my brain that looks at purely logic games is.... hmmmmm ....broken-ish.)

As I discovered (much-much) later I can't isolate strategy/operational/tactical/political matters from the human. I glory in my joy studying physics - astro/quantum/theoretical etc. Despite a mental block over (advanced) calculus making it difficult to follow the mathematical theorey. (This mental block exists over personal relationships but he sees groups well - which explains a LOT)

Besides that ramble into strangeness, to return to game theorey (and your most kind comment @Meat Grinder) the philosophy of human group relationships (in buisness, beauracracies, militaries, governence etc.) is varied, extensive & fascinating especially in competitive situations/scenarios. The pure logic of chess is (mostly) shorn of human interactions - which obscures much of my understanding. Something I find troubling on occasion, but no more so than most of my other mental tics & idiocies (See pompous - told you :) ).

Apologies for rambling - I have a few jobs to finish and less than 8 hrs until I return to work :(

Yup (Yes)
My brain works in ways I struggle to understand, but I grok the results (sometimes) and - often after some (internal) wrangling - can make statements that make sense to me... Communication with other humans is sometimes difficult. (He's not wrong).

Just don't expect me to.. snort like a piggie. (not telling that type of story here :eek: )

My problem is that I am TRULY AWFUL at chess; surprisingly for my mentors, teachers and parents.
(as he discovered a few lives later that part of my brain that looks at purely logic games is.... hmmmmm ....broken-ish.)

As I discovered (much-much) later I can't isolate strategy/operational/tactical/political matters from the human. I glory in my joy studying physics - astro/quantum/theoretical etc. Despite a mental block over (advanced) calculus making it difficult to follow the mathematical theorey. (This mental block exists over personal relationships but he sees groups well - which explains a LOT)

Besides that ramble into strangeness, to return to game theorey (and your most kind comment @Meat Grinder) the philosophy of human group relationships (in buisness, beauracracies, militaries, governence etc.) is varied, extensive & fascinating especially in competitive situations/scenarios. The pure logic of chess is (mostly) shorn of human interactions - which obscures much of my understanding. Something I find troubling on occasion, but no more so than most of my other mental tics & idiocies (See pompous - told you :) ).

Apologies for rambling - I have a few jobs to finish and less than 8 hrs until I return to work :(
Yup (Yes)

My brain works in ways I struggle to understand, but I grok the results (sometimes) and - often after some (internal) wrangling - can make statements that make sense to me... Communication with other humans is sometimes difficult. (He's not wrong).

Just don't expect me to.. snort like a piggie. (not telling that type of story here :eek: )

So I went ahead and paid for a premium chess.com membership. This allows me to, among other things, use the AI (using the Stockfish engine, IIRC) to review and analyze games I have played. Here is the review (with AI commentary) of my first game with @Nathangun (me white) . We both, according to the AI, made several errors (the AI categorizes errors, from least to worst as: "Inaccuracy", "Mistake", "Blunder").

Note: This video plays about one move per second. To slow it down on the YT screen, go to the bottom and click on the Settings (looks like a gear) icon and choose the speed you want. Half speed seems to be best, IMO, but .25 speed gave me more time to see my mistakes.

Last edited:
Back