Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Christchurch Earthquakes rememberance

C

Crocky

Last Sunday we got hit with a 5.8mag earthquake nearly 5 yrs to the day after the deadly earthquake that killed 185 people on 22 Feb 2011.
This got me to thinking whats happened here and I thought I might share some info over the next wee while photos thoughts of what the city and I have been through.

The first big quake was 4 September 2010 at 4.35am a 7.2mag
The earthquake's epicentre was 40 kilometres (25 mi) west of Christchurch,[15] near the town of Darfield. The hypocentre was at a shallow[15] depth of 10 km
The main shock on 4 September caused widespread damage and several power outages, in Christchurch damage was estimated at $ 3.5billion big for us, we were lucky everybody was in bed otherwise it could have been a lot worse

This link takes you to interactive quake map showing whats happened from the start to the end
click on the links to the top left and let it play shows where frequency of quakes aftershocks etc including depths (all very shallow)

http://www.christchurchquakemap.co.nz

have a look a play through really interesting
Cheers Crocky

Yup read that was an interesting time if he was 140km away I was right in it :)

After a couple of thousand aftershocks over the preceding 5 months we got hit by a new quake from at totally unexpected direction
Five years today 6.3 mag but under the port hills right on top of the city the critical thing it was very very shallow only 5km massive damage a major liquifaction thru the east

Although smaller in magnitude than the 2010 earthquake, the February earthquake was more damaging and deadly for a number of reasons. The epicentre was closer to Christchurch, and shallower at 5 kilometres (3 mi) underground, whereas the September quake was measured at 10 kilometres (6 mi) deep. The February earthquake occurred during lunchtime on a weekday when the CBD was busy, and many buildings were already weakened from the previous quakes. The peak ground acceleration (PGA) was extremely high, and simultaneous vertical and horizontal ground movement was "almost impossible" for buildings to survive intact.[85] Liquefaction was significantly greater than that of the 2010 quake, causing the upwelling of more than 200,000 tonnes of silt which needed to be cleared. The increased liquefaction caused significant ground movement, undermining many foundations and destroying infrastructure, damage which "may be the greatest ever recorded anywhere in a modern city".[88] 80% of the water and sewerage system was severely damaged.

Today at 12.51pm we remember the 185 people that lost their lives in this earthquake

After the 22nd quake fighting my way home pictures of buildings down liquifaction manholes popped out of ground roads stuffedIMG_0562.JPG IMG_0567.JPG IMG_0570.JPG IMG_0573.JPG IMG_0576.JPG IMG_0582.JPG IMG_0585.JPG IMG_0590.JPG IMG_0591.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0562.JPG
    IMG_0562.JPG
    506.7 KB · Views: 4
Back