Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

CM Helper Help!

Swank

FGM Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
So... my CM Helper is not loading and a window pops up with the following error message.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 6, in <module>
File "__main__.py", line 128, in <module>
File "__main__cmh__.py", line 125, in <module>
File "controller.py", line 51, in __init__
File "appstate.py", line 52, in __init__
File "permadict.py", line 29, in __init__
File "permadict.py", line 79, in load
ValueError: File not in a supported format

I tried deleting and re-installing but no change.

Any thoughts?

p.s. manually moving files is such a chore.

Any thoughts?

From another thread: http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/threads/cm-helper-is-broken-up.25792/

CM Helper sometimes has a problem like the one you described. It happens very seldom (maybe once per year).

To fix this problem, it is usually enough to close CMH and delete the following file (copied from the log you provided in your post):

C:\\Users\\Jaroslav\\AppData\\Roaming\\GreenAsJade\\CMHelper\\AppState.txt

Then restart CMH and it should work again, without any problems. CMH will just create a new AppState.txt when starting (if there is no pre-existing one), so you don't have to worry about deleting it. Worth a try before you begin uninstalling / re-installing everything.

@Shane @Ithikial

Maybe make this a sticky thread, since it keeps being asked regularly?

Small background software using up precious space in the taskbar. :mad: Is there a way to minimize CMH into systray (Win10)?

Small background software using up precious space in the taskbar. :mad: Is there a way to minimize CMH into systray (Win10)?
Do you mean the Taskbar (Win10 menu bar on the the bottom of your desktop screen)? If so,
  1. In the folder containing the CMHelper executable (*.exe file), right click on that file exe file name
  2. In the right clicked window menu, move cursor over "Send to".
  3. Select "Desktop" (create shortcut). This creates a CMHelper application icon on your desktop. Move it where you want.
  4. Right click the CMHelp icon created in step #3.
  5. In the right clicked window menu, left click "Pin to Taskbar". This creates a CMHelper icon in your taskbar to maximize or minimize as desired.
Is that the droid you seek?

@Badger73
that only adds the symbol of CMH to the taskbar permanently.
The systray is the right area with the clock.

Right. Even though your post said "systray", I wanted to be certain that is indeed what you meant. (I know people who confuse the two.) I think M$osft disabled this kind of System Tray customization with Win10.
The Taskbar may be your only option for customizing visible apps management. Please let us know if you find a way to do this in the System Tray. Good luck.

So... my CM Helper is not loading and a window pops up with the following error message.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 6, in <module>
File "__main__.py", line 128, in <module>
File "__main__cmh__.py", line 125, in <module>
File "controller.py", line 51, in __init__
File "appstate.py", line 52, in __init__
File "permadict.py", line 29, in __init__
File "permadict.py", line 79, in load
ValueError: File not in a supported format

I tried deleting and re-installing but no change.

Any thoughts?

p.s. manually moving files is such a chore.

So....My CMH decided to crap out on me a few weeks ago. Just getting around to trying to get it working again. My log window gives me the exact same message as @Swank posted last year.

I never saw any definitive resolution to this problem. Curious if anyone else has experienced this and, if so, how did they get it fixed. @Swank.....you got anything useful you could share with me?

I have seen the subsequent posts (and seen elsewhere) reference to deleting the Appstate file. Weird thing is, I cannot even seem to find it, especially where it sounds like it should be. The only place I can even see that this particular file even exists is withing a zip file within CM Helper itself.

I've been using CM Helper for over a year now without issues so I am not sure why it has gone buggy on me. I miss it and want it back!!!! Anybody got anything on this?

Thanks much in advance!

reference to deleting the Appstate file. Weird thing is, I cannot even seem to find it, especially where it sounds like it should be. The only place I can even see that this particular file even exists is withing a zip file within CM Helper itself.

I located and deleted the AppState.txt on a PC by the following:

Double Click: This PC icon.

Double Click: Local Disk C

In the search field (top right corner) type: AppState.txt Then hit Enter

A search result list will appear. Highlight AppState.txt (It will also have a txt icon next to it).

Right Click: AppState.txt

Delete: AppState.txt (The AppState.txt file will not disappear from the search list but it has been moved to the recycle bin)

Hope that helps.

I have no special additional insight except that I have referenced these instructions to delete the .txt file on three separate occasions and each time it has worked.

make a copy of the appstate.txt file when CMH is working well, and when/if CMH breaks again, overwrite the file with your copy. That should save having to configure all over again

I appreciate the feedback guys! Sadly...I have had no luck with fixing this. I've no clue what the problem is.

I've deleted and reinstalled the app multiple times now trying various install locations. The only place the Appstate file appears is within a zip file (called Library I think)....within the CM Helper folder once you have unzipped CM Helper. I hope that makes sense.

I don't recall ever having to unzip a file within an unzipped file before and do not think I did that when originally installing CMH.

Regardless...I have. And subsequently deleted Appstate. That gets me nowhere.

To me it's like the program is not installing correctly when unzip the CMH download. Seems it should install Appstate somewhere on it's own.

I got nuttin! Nuttin I tell ya. Very frustrating.

Any other suggestions? You all know if GAJ is out there answering inquires about issues with CMH?

Thanks again guys for trying to help!

Note that by default the Appdata folder is hidden. To make it visible you will need to enable view hidden files within the view menu of windows explorer.

Just messing around with CMH for the first time. It shows I have CMBN 3.10 installed. I actually have 4.0 installed.

Is this a common error? How do I sync CMH with my active game version or do I even need to worry about it?

As long as launching it opens the right game and the saves go into the right incoming and outgoing folders, I don't think it matters. It just moves files around as far as I know.

Back