Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

CM: Risk - version 2.0

Ah, so you get the setup turn? Wouldn't it be easier for you if we sent you screenshots from the purchase screen (+ setup file)? One screenie for each company?

Nope -- I need to do a quick head and vehicle count for personnel in Infantry formations and vehicles/crews/infantry in Mech formations and vehicles in Armoured formations.

This gets compared with final screenshot to assess casualty breakdowns -- it's sometimes hard to establish starting strengths of units in the AAR turn.

Sorry guys, been meaning to do some more work on these rules -- but after a good testing on Saturday afternoon, I got ambushed by by a nasty cold and a work deadline train smash ... still trying to untangle the wreckage ...

Hopefully I can get this draft of the new rules down and dusted this coming weekend.

With Heraklion and Quick & Dead ticking over nicely -- it's time to restart work on this monster over the holidays ... maybe have it ready to start in the new year and run it through 2017 :D

Anybody know if CMFI Gothic Line mod is coming any time soon?

If I remember rightly, CM 4.0 and CMRT mod are next. With the speed of BF's delivery it could be 2018 before Gothic Line sees the light of day!

I had a bit of work down time over last couple of days and was looking at this again (was toying with the idea instead of QB's, each army pre-builds Division OOB's that they need to fight with until they take a breather and restructure their units -- ie: not attack for a turn or two) ... would so love to kick it off again with all the new ideas I have stewing away -- damn, I need to ingratiate myself with some long lost rich relative, get a big inheritance and then sit back and design and run campaigns full time :D ...

Dug this out of the archives and fiddled a bit with it yesterday evening ... the World Domination version of RISK: CM ... adapted the classic Risk map -- expanded it into 60 territories to fight over (so each side would start with 10) and also Ocean/Sea regions that need to be controlled by friendly fleets to transport friendly armies across, supply them across the water or deny the enemy access -- both his fleets/armies and trade)
(zoom in on map below to get the full close-up view with a mock set up)

RISK-world-NEW-72dpi-TEST new flat.jpg

The start set up would be that each regime gets a randomly drawn start location for it's capital city (and gets awarded a ring of buffer territories automatically right away) -- in example above GREEN got East Africa as it's capital city location, and got Ethiopia, Congo, South Africa & Madagascar as buffer states. RED lucked out with getting Brasil and immediately got control of all of South America (there are no continent bonus points, so that doesn'l matter)

The rest of the territories are then drawn randomly. The Capital City territory generates 5 production points (PP) , each territory 2 PP. Each regime also can place in a territory of its choice a Secondary City, which then generates 3 PP.
Each regime also gets to place 3 naval bases at which fleets can be built and based (they use less supply points when in port than when deployed at sea)

Only friendly territories than are contiguous or are joined by open sea trade routes can pool PP to build and supply armies. So in the above example, GREEN's Khazakstan territory is isolated from the rest of the GREEN empire -- same with BLUE's Siberia/Yakutsk territories as the Arctic Ocean is considered impassable for trade/supply purposes.

The presence of a hostile fleet can interrupt this flow of trade/supplies -- for example, if GREEN deployed a fleet into the Western Indian Ocean, ORANGE's Asian territories from Persia to Mongolia would be isolated from the main Capital areas in North America.

Land battles are fought out in CMBN (and maybe CMFB if seasons are introduced) with either QB's with OOB's built out of the following points allowances (see below) ... or pre-built army OOB's that each side decide on at start of the conflict (and the battles are set up by the GM) -- CM casualties are incorporated and 50+% percent casualties will result in a unit losing a strength step and need to be repaired or operate at half strength -- 75% losses will mean elimination.
Vers2-units-FIN.jpg

Any CM victory result of Attacker Tactical, Major or Total Victory will mean capture of the territory -- surviving defenders may retreat (if possible) and casualties are checked.

Any CM victory result of Defender Tactical, Major or Total Victory will mean repulse of enemy forces who withdraw to their starting territory and casualties are checked.

Any CM result of Minor Victory (either side) or Draw, will result in the territory being CONTESTED -- both sides may in the next turn feed in reinforcements (or withdraw) and CM battle is then resolved as Meeting Engagement Battle. (all other battles are Attacks)

Naval combat will be handled by die roll by the GM on a Combat Results table -- which will result in either destruction of naval units, or return to port, leaving the victor in control of a sea region.

Okay, back to work ... should compile and post a unit BUILD COST and REPAIR and SUPPLY cost table soon to make things clearer.

The winning strategy in the first round was to create a massive single army and then roam about in enemy territory and finally decapitate. The big size meant you could choose your battle (biggest moved first) and big armies didn't move slower than small ones. So if you made it behind the front line once there was no way for the enemy to stop you. His units were far away from the capital and there was no way to disband and rebuild to 'teleport' units back home. Additionally the attacker could build immediately on the freshly conquered lands and could thus reinforce his army. The defender had no such possibility.
All in all it meant that once you reached a certain size you could steam-roll everyone no matter what. No criticism - I liked that very much! :D

So I suggest that there is a rising support cost associated with having bigger armies (in one territory). Ideally they would also move slower but that is probably not possible at this scale. But they should at least have the worst initiative if that counts for anything.
Mechanised units should have a movement advantage over infantry units. There should also be a difference between moving into enemy territory and over own land.
Building everywhere shouldn't be allowed. Maybe something like that you need to have owned the territory for x turns or only special territories with a production capacity?
A rule for voluntarily disbanding units would be useful.

Just some thoughts. ;)

Back