Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

CM updates - advice request

Concord

FGM Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Can anyone give me an overview of the status of CM updates?

Do they need to be purchased? I think I bought some $10 ones a while back, but there's a new one now?

I gather that there was a problem with the previous one where soldiers would run out of foxhole cover into the open?
And now there seems to be a problem with soldiers running through hedgerow gaps when under fire?

I've got CMBS, CMBN, CMRT, CMFI/GL, and CMFB.
I'm unsure what I need to do to bring these games up to date.
Can anyone summarize the situation for me? Every time I research it, I get lost in meandering threads. :)

Maybe I should hold off until all the problems are sorted out - patches to their patches so to speak.

It's a patch, so it doesn't need to be purchased. It only applies to games using 4.0.

In CMFB, I haven't seen any too obvious cases of troops retreating towards the enemy, but I only played one battle with the new patch. However, there are still some annoying bugs they didn't fix, such as mortar halftracks being bugged in various ways.

Maybe I should hold off until all the problems are sorted out

It took them more than 2 years to bring out the latest patch, where it seems they basically just rolled back the new evasion code they put in 4.0.

So unless you have the patience of a Japanese holdout, I'd say play it like it is now, or invest your time and money in other games. I've started to branch out more and barely play CM these days.

Can anyone give me an overview of the status of CM updates?

<snip>...

I've got CMBS, CMBN, CMRT, CMFI/GL, and CMFB.
I'm unsure what I need to do to bring these games up to date.
Can anyone summarize the situation for me? Every time I research it, I get lost in meandering threads. :)

Sure. A while after the v4 engine upgrades (pay, available for all the games) came out people noticed a problem with one of the new features - TacAI avoiding incoming artillery. That took a long time to fix and just recently was fixed in a patch (free). Shortly after that patch came out people noticed that starting PBEM games in some titles was failing and there was another bad under fire behaviour - this time running towards the enemy. BFC recently announced that they were going to fix those in a patch ASAP (free).

So the versions numbers are:
Gamewith v4 Engine upgradewith patch for artillery barrage bad behaviourwith patch for running towards enemy
(exact number TBD - this is my guess)
CMBN4.004.014.02
CMFI2.002.012.02
CMRT2.002.012.02
CMFB2.002.012.02
CMBS2.102.112.12
CMSFshipped with patch2.00 (quick fix to 2.01 for SF specific issues)2.02

In case anyone asks the first number is the game major version which gets updated every engine upgrade. The second number is the minor version an goes up when a new modules or pack is added. The third number is for patches.

Some things of note:
CMBN is the only game that as been around for all four engine versions so it is the only game which actually has a major version number of 4
CMSF is a bit different since technically it could be in the same boat as CMBN but they only updated it one time so it gets stuck with a major version number of 2 :)
CMBS is the only game that has had a module or a pack coming since the v4 engine upgrade so it currently is the only one with a minor number other than 0.
Presumably CMFI will be the next game with a module and it will likely ship with a version number of 2.10

Back