Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

CMBN: dual version install of MG, and H2HH

PhilM

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
This will be "old news" to some, but for fairly new players like me just thought I'd recount a successful dual install of MG on a Mac, and how H2HH (which I cannot now do without!) coped.

I left the original, default install of CMBN in Applications to be updated, and duplicated it to keep for my 2.01 games to complete. I moved that duplicate (with both folder and app package renamed to include "copy") to my desktop, to clearly separate it from the upgraded version for the time I have it until the old games are played out.

I deleted the mods z folder, and all save games except for a turn I had been sent in 2.1 already, from the default, upgrade location.

Only the 2.1 save game was deleted from the desktop copy, otherwise intact.

Having checked that both versions ran and included the correct saves etc, I installed MG over the default location copy. Flawless install for me.

I then ran H2HH: it found CMFI as before, and the default location MG CMBN with its 1 saved game. Clicking on add game, I browsed H2HH to the new, desktop location copy, and this was accepted as a separate game and all the old save games and their dropbox folders found automatically, except for one game which had different save game and dropbox folder names: a simple browse to the appropriate folder sorted that too. So H2HH now has "3" games, CMFI, CMBN(MG) and CMBN(2.01copy), and tracks all saves etc separately. Brilliant! Thanks GaJ!

Whether it is a Mac thing, the result of having moved the copy folder outside of Applications, or just dumb luck I don't know, but I have not had the problems needing to re-authenticate MG after running 2.01 as some have done. Both start up fine for me.

And, to cap it all, MG to me seems to run faster than 2.01 on my machine, as other have said. Even more brilliant! Thanks BF!

So no one has any excuse not to buy and try MG (I say hoping I haven't jinxed myself now) ....

Very interesting. Thank you for the post. As a fellow Mac user I appreciate any heads up like this.

I had a nightmare with Maverick upgrade - tho to be fair it may (on reflection) have just been ignorance on my part - but I ended up flattening and reinstalling an iMac - hey it needed doing at some point :-(

I like the idea of variable setups tho - excellent - thanks again.

Ouch! Sorry to hear about the Mavericks nightmare - but glad the dual version stuff was useful.

After some hesitation just in case it went wrong, I installed Mavericks over the top of the CMx2 / H2HH dual install described above: for me that too was problem free. Sorry! No help for you for me to rub that in now ... :)

Back