Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

CMBN Medium Quick Battle

W

Will S

Looking for an opponent to go up against on a new QB map. The base map was taken from the "Carbide Carbide" scenario, but it has been highly edited and adapted for H2H Quick Battle play. (Some who played Wellsonians tourney may have played on a setup I created based on the Carbide Carbide map, but this one is quite different and I think improved from that...I feel it was not my finest product.) This map contains a rough and varied landscape, with many potential avenues of attack and options for defense around eight objectives. Map is a square kilometer. It's set up as a probe and I think a medium purchase would be ideal. I like longer games on spacious maps and tactical fights with balanced combined arms forces. I'm looking for an opponent who enjoys the same.

I haven't played a German offensive game in a while and would enjoy that, but we could set up an American/Brit attack also. I am also going to request this only be a mirror game. That should negate any worries that the setup or some small condition is in someway unfair to a side, since we will both share the same burden from each position. I reside in timezone GMT -7 if that matters.

Usual standard guidelines: No pre-planned arty from the defender, and no purposeful targeting of the attacker in their setup area.

I think it would be fun to agree on not using airplanes and using all "typical" attributes during purchase, but that's only a suggestion.

I am using this post to find someone who is up for a good game, not for a critique of the map or setup (at least until you've played it with me, then I'd love to hear your thoughts). Please only reply if you have some interest in playing.

Woah there Bubs. I think we have our allotment going already...

@Will S Agreed. You are probably tired of me and looking for some new opponents.

If only someone else had the balls to step up.........

Wow...look at the Meat Grinder go...Tough talk. I thought i was going to be your next opponent as of 6 weeks ago. You keep running from me and now here you are talking yourself up. Come on baby bring it on. you and me!!!

Nah I'll pass on this one, gotta CMBN battle coming up for the Cracking the Nut cam. Also CMRT battle returning when @GDog gets back from vacation. I'm sorta semi-looking for a CMFI or CMFB battle. Maybe @Panzer_Freak still wants a rematch?

Yeah, I'll like a rematch for sure. But I gotta finish at least one of the game current running.

@coolbreeze I'm full on my game docket at the moment, but thanks for the interest. Another time.

When your are ready to take on the best in the business....Here i am. Got a full card with game games at the moment and a holiday coming on in addition to a meatgrinder to destroy... But its about time we lock horns

@Will S,

Would you mind sharing the modified map? Would love to check it out and play a few games on with others.

@coolbreeze That's my plan eventually. I'm playing the first round of games on three maps I have been working on at the moment. Combined with a busy personal life it's been slow going. As I'm sure any designer (or any of my three current opponents) could tell you, nothing is perfect the first time. With the maps I'm working on, I'm not only editing terrain, but I'm trying out some new ideas with objectives and scoring. Due to this and holding myself to a somewhat high standard, I'm giving all my maps a play from both directions before posting them into the scenario depot. Once I can give them a play and edit what I wasn't happy with I'll post them up publicly. Takes time, but hopefully the results will be worth it.

Thanks to my current opponents for their patience and giving a go at what I think are some challenging (maybe overly so) maps. They are still rough round the edges and your involvement will lead to them being improved.

But in the meantime check out one I posted here
. I think it's pretty fun.

@coolbreeze That's my plan eventually. I'm playing the first round of games on three maps I have been working on at the moment. Combined with a busy personal life it's been slow going. As I'm sure any designer (or any of my three current opponents) could tell you, nothing is perfect the first time. With the maps I'm working on, I'm not only editing terrain, but I'm trying out some new ideas with objectives and scoring. Due to this and holding myself to a somewhat high standard, I'm giving all my maps a play from both directions before posting them into the scenario depot. Once I can give them a play and edit what I wasn't happy with I'll post them up publicly. Takes time, but hopefully the results will be worth it.

Thanks to my current opponents for their patience and giving a go at what I think are some challenging (maybe overly so) maps. They are still rough round the edges and your involvement will lead to them being improved.
But in the meantime check out one I posted here. I think it's pretty fun.
Hey @Will S
I played that map with @Hardradi as a large probe, and let me tell you it was a real Bit** of a fight as the attacker. I really enjoyed it though and I'm going to try to get 3-5 other guys to use it on a Co-op battle. I really liked it, although @Hardradi did a helluva job defending it, so it was tough. What size battle do you suggest should be utilized on that map? As I mentioned to @Hardradi there are lots of "Nooks and crannies" in that map..well done my friend.

@Buckykatt I made it hard for the attacker on purpose :). One of my design objectives was to make the attacker have to marshal their forces more carefully than many of the stock maps require. If the commander doesn't do proper recon and really set up their forces in an overall strategic fashion, I would say their chances of victory would be slim.

Another one of my objectives in design is to provide more variability to terrain and micro elevation, hopefully giving the maps more of a real world feel. Take a look around when you're out and about, there are tons of "nooks and crannies" all over the place. Even that seemingly flat field might has some very effective cover if you look close. I'm trying techniques to model that. But like in all terrain, the defender and attacker can both benefit from those nooks, it's just in how they approach it.

I played this one twice against two strong opponents, both large purchases. The map is set up as a probe. I attacked with american forces at -10 force reduction, and defended as brits against a full strength attack. I won both games. Also my record on maps I have had a hand in, is a mixed bag. Designing the map does not lend an unbeatable superpower in my exeprience. My opponent could easily spend as much time going over the terrain as they want, and each person brings their own read of the terrain to the table. One thing I would recomend is a long time limit, at least 90 mins on the map you played, if not more. This allows the attacker the time to do their diligence. I've become a big fan of long time limits and believe in a well balanced fight each side can claim a decisive victory, not just barely holding out or bum rushing the objective at the last moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Will S from what I could see the map did force @Buckykatt to reshuffle his forces in the latter part of the game for an all out attack along one axis.

We started at dawn so it was dark for at least a half hour. At the start a lot of @Buckykatt's men were on my front lines before I could see them. I like how the map offers opportunities for infiltration, keyhole positions as well as sweeping fields of fire. There is a lot of ground to cover as the defender so I can see why you set it up as a Probe.

@Buckykatt a co-op battle would be fun. The setup of the objectives and the spinal nature of the map should make it quite playable.

Back