Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

CMBS Wheels Only, On-Map Assets Small Meeting Engagement

Hapless

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Title says it all! I'm after a short, interesting, (relatively) balanced game.

I'm happy playing as or against any side- you can bring whoever or whatever you like as long as it doesn't have tracks and it exists on the map (ie. no off-map artillery or air support). I'm not a massive fan of rules, but Black Sea is a bit of a special crazy-future-tech case.

Electronic Warfare is cool with me- choosing a level of EW costs you points when you get to the force selector, so its your choice. I've got it all modded up to be snowy and I'm angling to make some kind of winterised video series, so more experienced players are preferable (kick my arse! Its not difficult).

The map I have in mind is Rough-Water (1008x1008) 289, which looks like this:

CM Black Sea 2019-09-14 21-23-52-333.jpg

but I'm open to ideas.

I’m game, providing your ok with an avg turn rate. Assume you are talking small QB, 30 mins. I’ll message you w/ an email address. You set up the QB. You can pick the rest. Can go to 45 if you fell that would be better.

WHAT!!!! No Tunguskas??????!!!?? Sacrilege @Hapless !!! :p

Honestly, this is my favorite way to play BS ; the battle of the scouts! Good luck - I'd love to try a game as well, but my turn rate is worse than woeful, and its been sooooo long....

I will definitely keep an eye out for the video release (y)

Forward Recon elements, with Humvee, Tigre followed by BTR's and Styker rolling in behind with mobile mortar support and oh yes drones!!

What is there not to like? Generation Kill goes off piste.

I wouldn't regard myself as experienced enough to take part but could I just ask which winter mods can be used in CMBS?

I presume they could be kept in a folder which can be swapped in and out of the mods folder accordingly?:unsure:

Thanks

Last edited:
@Gnarly Sometimes I wonder if the Tunguska is the only Russian vehicle worth taking :p

@Alien Heat I grabbed it all from here. Its all set up to work with mod tags so you just add the "snow" tag to get the snow textures in. I'm probably going to end up just going through and untagging everything though- I'm definitely in the "put folder in Z to apply mod, remove folder to disengage mod" crowd. It's only cosmetic, after all.

Played in the original Blood on the Snow. Great Video. Hapless kicked my butt, but I enjoyed the hell out of watching and listening to his narrative of the action, and his tremendous knowledge of the equipment and its capabilities which he used well. His off-the-cuff style of video presentation is well polished, and worth the watch.

Played in the original Blood on the Snow. Great Video. Hapless kicked my butt, but I enjoyed the hell out of watching and listening to his narrative of the action, and his tremendous knowledge of the equipment and its capabilities which he used well. His off-the-cuff style of video presentation is well polished, and worth the watch.

Having watched both Blood in the Snow, and 8-wheeled Handicap, I think you lucked out on the terrain @JTimo TBH. As @Hapless has discussed, the SBCT is really designed to blunt a Russian attack, and buy time for heavier US troops to arrive in theatre: it is not an attacking force, especially at close range. It works best at stand-off distance (Javs, TOWS and MGS, plus rapid call precision arty, the last you were without).

Hapless did this nicely in 8-wheeled handicap, and I'm doing it right now to another opponent. However in Blood in the Snow, you were forced into a Meeting-Engagement crazy bum-rush (meant in the best possible way) right into the guts of a tight close urban environment, and the Styrkers just aren't gonna survive the sheer weight of Russian numbers and guns in that environment. It was pretty stunning to see just how few troops you had for your points cf. his oodles of BTRs and troops!

Good game nevertheless to both of your (and not dissing Hapless's skills/win - I've been on the receiving end of that too! ;D)

Nevertheless wheels-only BS games have been a fave of mine for awhile, but always UKR vs RUS....!

Last edited:
However in Blood in the Snow, you were forced into a Meeting-Engagement crazy bum-rush

When Hapless proposed the game's parameters, and his intention to make a video, I jumped on the idea. My intention wasn't to play my best game, but rather to play a style that would be more action packed for the sake of making for good video. My playing style is much more patient, but I often wonder if playing more recklessly would be more fun. I did a major "bum-rush" on both flanks at the end of that game, as a sort of finale, again for the sake of the video.

Being more of a scenario player, I have to confess to being weak when it comes to QB force selection. In our game, I watered down my Stryker company so I could buy a recon platoon with its MG and TOW Humvees, and a drone with a Knight, and some on-board mortars with precision munitions. For me, this is what CMBS is all about as compared to the WWII era games. I was quite pleased with the performance of the Humvees against his BTRs, but was disappointed at the results of the use of the precision munitions. The point cost for those items is probably the reason for the small number of troops that you referred to. In a tournament, or ladder game, you don't have the luxury of making those "fun" choices at the cost of being less competitive, but in this game I took that option, and it paid great enjoyment dividends. During the course of playing the game, Hapless and I had some great discussions where I learned how knowledgeable he was of the equipment we were using as compared to what I knew. I find the modern era to be more challenging than the WWII era games, but that challenge can be great fun.

During the course of playing the game, Hapless and I had some great discussions where I learned how knowledgeable he was of the equipment we were using as compared to what I knew. I find the modern era to be more challenging than the WWII era games, but that challenge can be great fun.

I do always have a Wikipedia page on modern weapons open when playing one of the modern CM titles.

Back