Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

CMRT - Battle Royale

Once I saw the map and starting locations I thought that this would be an interesting battle with armoured formations at very close range. The battle is meeting engagement with the main objectives located on a small peninsular. Prior to the battle @MeatEtr was kind enough to point out to me that he believed the battle looked stacked in the Germans favour, but was happy for me to choose what side I wanted to play. As I had just purchased CMRT, I of course had to play as the Soviets knowing that I was probably at a disadvantage.

Just how much of a disadvantage became very apparent, very quickly!

By turn 5 I had lost 10 armoured vehicles including all 4 heavy armoured units, whilst MeatEtr had lost 1 Panther.

By turn 7 I had surrendered!

Now of course there's an element of ability at play and no doubt I made some mistakes on positioning and cover arcs, but these mistakes have been punished overly hard in my opinion. The Soviet start position is very constrained in a built up area which also includes lots of trees and an abundance of street furniture. I had entire tank platoons held up for 3 to 4 minutes just because the lead tank couldn't negotiate a corner or decided to try and squeeze through a gap between a lamp post and a tree. The Germans on the other hand had a relatively open area to disperse into, which allowed them to dominate the battlefield very quickly. By turn 7 my force was outflanked on the left and right with 14 of my armoured vehicles up flames.

I'm not sure if the forces were unbalanced as I don't know fully what the German side has, but it seemed to match my 2 x IS-2's with 2 x King Tigers, and my T-34's seemed matched 1 for 1 by Panthers. I have no idea if this is balanced or not as this is the first time I've played CMRT, I'll run some tests in the editor to see.

In summary, this was probably the least enjoyable scenario I've played and the only multiplayer game that I've played to date (that hasn't have an opponent disappear on me) that I've decided not to turn into a video AAR on account that it's just 7 minutes of Soviet tank jams and exploding T34's.

Last edited:
Once I saw the map and starting locations I thought that this would be an interesting battle with armoured formations at very close range. The battle is meeting engagement with the main objectives located on a small peninsular. Prior to the battle @MeatEtr was kind enough to point out to me that he believed the battle looked stacked in the Germans favour, but was happy for me to choose what side I wanted to play. As I had just purchased CMRT, I of course had to play as the Soviets knowing that I was probably at a disadvantage.

Just how much of a disadvantage became very apparent, very quickly!

By turn 5 I had lost 10 armoured vehicles including all 4 heavy armoured units, whilst MeatEtr had lost 1 Panther.

By turn 7 I had surrendered!

Now of course there's an element of ability at play and no doubt I made some mistakes on positioning and cover arcs, but these mistakes have been punished overly hard in my opinion. The Soviet start position is very constrained in a built up area which also includes lots of trees and an abundance of street furniture. I had entire tank platoons held up for 3 to 4 minutes just because the lead tank couldn't negotiate a corner or decided to try and squeeze through a gap between a lamp post and a tree. The Germans on the other hand had a relatively open area to disperse into, which allowed them to dominate the battlefield very quickly. By turn 7 my force was outflanked on the left and right with 14 of my armoured vehicles up flames.

I'm not sure if the forces were unbalanced as I don't know fully what the German side has, but it seemed to match my 2 x IS-2's with 2 x King Tigers, and my T-34's seemed matched 1 for 1 by Panthers. I have no idea if this is balanced or not as this is the first time I've played CMRT, I'll run some tests in the editor to see.

In summary, this was probably the least enjoyable scenario I've played and the only multiplayer game that I've played to date (that hasn't have an opponent disappear on me) that I've decided not to turn into a video AAR on account that it's just 7 minutes of Soviet tank jams and exploding T34's.

Agreed @Josey Wales Especially the unit balance. The IS-2 vs KT is not an even match up, nor is the Panther vs T34-85. Yet they are matched up 1vs1 in this scenario. Back when I was checking this out I did make note of the inevitable Russian traffic jam race to the OZs. Axis have a much more stretched out starting area and the eventual high ground. The only chance the Russians have of winning is by setting up alot of ambushes. Which of course requires the Axis player to bumble into. But this kinda requires the need to win the race to the OZs. Which is difficult from the Soviet side. I initially planned on playing as the Russians for a helluva challenge.

Conclusion, the German advantage is just too much. Simply cannot recommend this scenario for H2H.

Now having said that, the map is great, not sure if this was from a previous scenario/campaign or homemade. I think this would make for a great Axis attack/assault.

Well at least it wasn't a complete waste of time, we got some laughs out of it! (y)

But yeah the traffic jams have plagued the CM games since basically forever. Best way to help this is use lots of pauses, I do at least 10 secs per following AFV. Sometimes racking up delay times up to 2 mins. Also giving out of the way longer routes helps to avoid long delays. The TacAI driving is just well... pathetic.... poor Olaf! :LOL:

I think, so don't quote me on this, the TacAI determines if the delay/jam takes longer then say 5-10 secs then it decides to plot its own course. Which is obviously what you want to avoid. If the TacAI thinks the delay/jam is less than like 5 secs then it will just give itself a mini 2-4 sec delay, which is fine.

Back