Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

CMRT Battles/Scenarios/Campaigns?

E

enven

Has anyone found a good resource for CMRT battles/campaigns/scenarios? I've been playing the same stuff over and over and am getting antsy. I really hope someone creates some battles based off of ASL battle packs or East Front Scenarios...

If anyone has a resource or two...or three...let me know.

lol thanks Ithikial - I do like that section a lot.

I guess my question needs a bit more definition.

I have yet to find anything as close to GreenAsJade's site around with a set repository of mods missions and addons - Nor have I seen many people divulge any sort of findings of Scenarios that are or are not FGM created for RT.

My question was more focused on getting folks to send links or their likes/findings.

I think a mission specific CM website hasn't organically popped up on everyone's radar pretty much because the time it takes to create scenarios is considerably longer when compared to say the CMx1 era games. Turns some people off and those that do take the plunge it takes longer before they can release a final version of their work. But hopefully long term maybe the FGM downloads section will turn into that kind of service for the wider CM community. Just need people to get creating. Saying that, GaJ's does include some map and scenario work. Battlefront's repository in my opinion badly needs some work.

If you have copies of the ASL battle packs on your end maybe you can get the ball rolling and take the plunge, even if it's just the getting used to map making in the editor and I'd imagine given the scale those maps would be pretty small in the scheme of things. The scenario editor doesn't hurt. :)

I'll definitely be diving to some scenario design. I've got to first climb the learning curve for CMx2 design since I've not designed anything since CMBB. But I've got binders of 1000+ ASL scenarios and the ASL Chronology of the War.

@Ithikial - Good points here, and yes GaJ's site is pretty sweet - unfortunately, trying to get bearings on whats the best route to go with modding, cleaning up what is needed for visual pleasure and more maps - GaJ has been my go to as well as what is recommended on our site here.

@Hedgehog - Yep! :)

@Tchoup @Ithikial : - If you guys want to send some of your ASL scenarios and other stuff - I'd be stoked to start cracking a whip!

There's always dredging the Battlefront repository, often most of the stuff GAJ finds is on his site but occasionally a scenario or two slips through unnoticed in the repository :)

I think that RT is too new to have many user-created scenarios but I suspect they will be coming. My understanding is that RT has been incredibly successful. By Christmas, I think we'll have a plethora of new content at our disposal from the community.

With that said, one challenge with CMx2 compared with CMx1 is that the games are much more time- and unit-bound. Meaning, CMx1 was massive scope in terms of units included and timeline of the war. So many countries, so many weapons and you could choose any date during the war. CMx21 was virtually limitless for scenario designers. With CMx2, you are locked into specific formations and weapons for specific countries for a relatively short time period. This limits the breadth of material available for semi-historic/historic battles. I think this limits the amount of user content that will be available until the base expands with additional modules that expands the timeline, location and units available.

Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of material for battles on the Eastern Front between June and August 1944 but once you try and build a scenario outside of Belorussia, you run into limits quickly. For example, a scenario designer needs Romanian for the Jassy–Kishinev Offensive, Hungarian for the Lvov–Sandomierz Offensive and Finish troops for Vyborg–Petrozavodsk Offensive - all battles that took place during the same time period.

I've gone through the ASL Chronology of the War and located all the scenarios I own which match the timeframe and geography of CMRT. I own all the official stuff plus the mainline third party ASL stuff (though I know I'm missing some of the most recent scenario packs). I came up with only 21 scenarios. I'm missing what would be the holy grail .. the OOP Onslaught to Orsha campaign with historical maps. It runs $250 on ebay.

I know there are some mismatches in force structure .. some scenarios are Partisan vs. Germans and at least one features Lend-Lease Russian Shermans vs. the Germans in Poland.

I've uploaded the scenario scans to my Dropbox. I'm happy to share with anyone who wants to work on some ASL conversions. If you want to view the maps used for these scenarios, just load em up in Vassal if you don't own the maps. @Enven, let me know your email and I'll share the dropbox link.

@Tchoup totally; enven00 at g mail .

As far as some of the stuff I have: ASL TAP and some Vassal maps - I would like to wrap a 5 Scenario pack - something that rolls into each one in a 1-5 format...There was a CMBB pack similar that was just addictive and had huge replay value. As "@Lt. Smash" stated - giving it some time is good - but it would be cool to take advantage of ASL and even ATS series board games sub-modules and get some stuff going. Not necessarily for H2H exclusively either...It'd be a blast to work this into both SP and H2H...

We can always start building - heck even set something up where we can hand off design across multiple sub-modules or 'packs', plan a TO&E that is as simple as - this is modified from X game pack, within the confines of CMRT...

Tchoup, thanks for throwing out this stuff ! Stoked!

@Ithikial - I'll create a map planning progress thread soon, I'll try to doctor up some sort of skeleton thats super lightweight so people can give input on a module basis.

Sounds good Enven. Ideally if the FGM as a community can release 'packs' of maps based on the old ASL materials may just make this whole Scenario Design Workshop worth while on it's own. Fingers crossed we get enough of the locals here to chip in.

Come on folks, ASL maps aren't that big. :D

@Ithikial - I think the number one thing about this is the fact that its smaller - more engaged type of battles that can move from module to module. The replay value should be pretty good too...

@Bootie hasn't been advertised I am starting on a few maps this evening actually and am planning to push them to my git repo for people to clone and edit.

@Bootie - Perhaps move this thread to the Design Section? Figured @Enven and @Tchoup were taking the lead on this. :)

Guys we need get organised with an opening post indicating who is doing what and what ASL resources they have access to. Tchoup, any chance for a dropbox link so when others come along they can get started? Once we have some level of orgnisation thread up and running we can advertise more widely for help. If we can also show some work in progress that may help push some others to get on board.

Back