Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

CMRT Windows Upgrade Engine 4 anti-virus issue

T

TakeTheBody

Happy Easter all!

CMRT was having problems recognizing a PBEM file from my opponent (wouldnt "see" it) so I investigated and my RT engine is 3. I went and bought upgrade patch to engine 4.

When I unzip, Norton squawks that cmrt_v200_setup.exe is classified as a WS.Reputation.1 file with a high threat. Investigating further, Norton claims a Reputation.1 file is not necessarily a virus but a file the Norton community deems risky.

Any related experience with this?

Norton admits hundreds of Norton users used the file. Funny when I scan the zip it reports clean, when extract, it removes the exe.

I got onto Norton forums and this WS.Reputation.1 causes a great deal of ass pain with Norton users (especially businesses with dev environments) as it willy nilly deletes files that are perfectly safe.

Sorry to bother: I dont take AV warnings lightly and figured I bring it to the community's attention.

Happy Easter all!

CMRT was having problems recognizing a PBEM file from my opponent (wouldnt "see" it) so I investigated and my RT engine is 3. I went and bought upgrade patch to engine 4.

When I unzip, Norton squawks that cmrt_v200_setup.exe is classified as a WS.Reputation.1 file with a high threat. Investigating further, Norton claims a Reputation.1 file is not necessarily a virus but a file the Norton community deems risky.

Any related experience with this?

Norton is notorious for pinging game files as potential viruses (and a Huge Collection of other crimes against IT sensible behavior), I'd be tempted to follow @A Canadian Cat 's advice and white list the relevant folders.

OTOH I'd be even MORE tempted to bin all Norton products ASAP, but since that means a COMPLETE reinstall - incl proper security scrub of ALL Drives (NOT just a format) - of everything I'd put up with Norton. - warning I'm not a PC security professional, in particular I AM NOT YOUR PC adviser on anything (Nice to get the leagl disclaimers out of the way, he's also very strange so don't trust him at all)

"(Nice to get the legal disclaimers out of the way, he's also very strange so don't trust him at all)"
This really should be posted in your signature.:oops:
Your wish is my command (A really nasty thought :eek:)

Back