Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

CMRT Winter Mod

K

kohlenklau

Hi fellas,

I am working up a CMRT Winter Mod.
Anyone interested in "beta testing" it?

Here is my very simple youtube channel with a few short videos of the mod in action. (I hope one day to learn more about editing videos and increasing the quality of the end product.)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL6SrQMb2qwa6voGJYVuTKg

Here are some screenshots:

Here is the current Readme file:

CMRT Winter Mod Guide

I think we have a long wait til BFC gets us the official winter module to CMRT so I decided to do this mod. It is not perfect so just either accept that or back away and wait til 2017 for the module. I hope you can have some fun with it.

First of all, it is modtagged so it can go in your CMRT Mods folder and live there in peace with everybody else and only is seen when you want it to be seen.

I borrowed some terrain files from CMFI GL to get us snow in Russia.
I am continuing to play with them to get the best possible look on the map.
Some terrain elements do not carry over well to the snow mode. Like flowers for example. So? Don't make a map and put flowers on it for CMRT Winter Mod! Weeds also and several other tiles. The snow looks a bit greyish. Not sure what to do yet...

MAPS:
Get in the map editor and experiment to make a winter map or take an older existing map and import the snow.txt mod tag file and then save or resave under a new name. City Battle can be renamed City Battle Snow for example. Check it out in 3D preview and see what to change.

It may sound odd but I currently advise to make most of your winter map with dirt tiles! They look like a nice blanket of smooth snow in the Winter Mod. Then drop in "Grass TY" at various spots. This Grass TY does look slightly frosted and dead.
Some grasses look too green and non-wintery. Just edit the map to make it look sweet!
Some of the trees do NOT look good in winter mode. Play around and see what looks best.
Some of the buildings do not come with snowy roofs. All the barns do!
We are trying to get all roofs to have snow. Standby.
REVISED: This is now all fixed. Snow on every roof!

SCENARIO SETTINGS:
Set the ground to muddy to try and have some bogging to simulate snowy conditions. I have named the vehicles with [snow muddy] so the whitewash camo files are called out by the snow modtag and the wheels I modded are used versus the very muddy BFC versions tagged [muddy] normally called out when you set ground as muddy.
Set sky as overcast I suppose. Set temp as cold. If you set it as frozen then I think the mud freezes solid and negates any chance at bogging. Not sure yet!

***I will try to develop a comprehensive guide to CMRT Winter Mod mapmaking if this takes off in popularity.

VEHICLES:
I have whitewashed the T-34 Model 42, Ba-64 and T-70. SU-85 is coming soon and SU-122 and T-34/85.

Over on the axis side I have the Pak38, kubelwagen and PzIVg but keep checking back!

AXIS TROOPS:
The axis troops must be infantry purchased wearing "standard appearance" so they show up on screen in greatcoats and gloves!
<<<<REVISED 12.7.15>>>>
NOTE: Now it seems the mod looks ok with "mixed camo appearance" selected also. :D Some of your axis troops will deploy with their camo smock over their field jacket. Maybe to depict earlier war just use standard appearance with no smocks? For mid to late war use "mixed camo" and get the camo smocks on some soldiers and greatcoats on some soldiers.

ALLIED TROOPS:
The allied troops have a work in progress Telogreika quilted jacket and gloves on most soldiers but not all, for realism. Jackets only up to the NCO level so far.

Have fun and post some screenshots if you make a new map and have a snow battle!

Let me know any feedback...

Phil

(kohlenklau 8Dec15)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been trying these mods, looking good. :cool:

CM%20Red%20Thunder%202015-12-13%2020-14-35-12_zpssl3zx81e.jpg~original

CM%20Red%20Thunder%202015-12-13%2020-14-48-50_zpsya0dhcdj.jpg~original

CM%20Red%20Thunder%202015-12-13%2020-15-24-89_zpsosalhckz.jpg~original

@Nathangun I am very happy we solved that one issue with mod conflict with Aris's 7 or 8 T-34 turrets (!) and are back to playing your first Ost Front winter battle with CMRT. If you notice anything goofy, please ask and we can figure it out but I am seeing stability and I hope you do as well.

I also added Luftwaffe Fallschirmjagers into CMRT! Here they are just arriving on the Ost Front in their Luftwaffe Opel Blitz trucks with 1st Fallschirmjager-Division markings.

I even modded some of the UI so it looks more comprehensive.

First watch this one...

....then watch mine!

EDIT: I can try again to make it better. I had not yet modded the Pak40 and the movie used a Pak38 looking ATG. I had whitewashed the Pak38 but I knew it wouldn't KO the T-34's as easily. It would probably make a cool, fun little PBEM as you can control things better vs the AI programming. Playing it hotseat against myself would be the best way to direct the action. I just thought of that!

The StuG is by BarbaricCo and the 5 different model Panzer IV's are by me.
Many folks are telling me to dirty those tanks up a bit. Too clean.
Yes, I know. It takes a lot of time to mod and I obviously have a bad habit of unveiling the statue before it is fully chiseled! I promise I will go back and tweak them a bit. Add some chipped off whitewash, some stains and spills and dirt.

But also I have offered over on BFC to help some beginner modders get going and learn. Only one guy took me up on the offer....

I am glad you like it. It will be uploaded in parts to the cmmods-3 website starting later today but taking several days to get the fat cow up the staircase....

@Egger If you want to work on any winter camo vehicles...please think of which one(s) you'd like to tackle and let me know so we focus our efforts. PM me?

Plus it is good to have a variety of modder's approaches and styles!

This is a holiday gift to the community at large so the more presents under the tree, the happier all will be. :D

I'm going to start with the Tiger and the IS2, I have some good winter camos.

Can you do the IS2 first and then the Panther maybe? Another guy already started the Tiger. You can still do the Tiger if you really want. I appreciate any and all help. :D

I started uploading the basic terrain files to cmmods3 last night. 3 folders sent so far. Today I will upload the snowy roof files and axis uniforms (greatcoats/gloves).

The only issue I am seeing is when a person has Aris mods folders in his z folder. Aris has many versions numbered and even with my turrets modtagged as [snow] the game will pluck some of Aris's turrets and throw them into the random mix. One solution is for you to temporarily remove Aris mods while you play with the winter mod. There are mod managers out there for free download. JSGME and Zee-bee I think are 2.

@kohlenklau this looks great. I've been itching to play a CM2 scenario set in Kharkov.

How did you create the beute T34? Is it a PzIII/IV with a T34 skin?

Yes, exactly. I learned the trick when I ported a T-34 into my Malta project. The Germans had a special kompanie of T-34's and KV-1's captured from "Uncle Joe Stalin" and repainted and prepped for the Operation Hercules landing on Malta that never happened.

It isn't perfect but it is quite functional. The firing parameters are close enough. The armor thickness and such of course isn't matched exactly but at close ranges in certain fun scenarios it all balances out IMHO for a cool feel of the Germans pressing into service any T-34 that was still running. I mark it up per historical photos, maybe dial the ammo down to scarce to reflect they are not in a real supply chain? Even edit the crew to be green since maybe they are axis footsloggers who climbed into the hatch and fired her up?

The crew positions are a bit funky so keep him buttoned up or his hands are not quite matched to the hatch of a T-34 vs a PzIV. No raised cupola. Which is ironic because those captured Soviet tanks meant for Malta were modified with added German cupolas. Can't show that of course, can't really change the 3D models at my skill level.

I only have about 4 more days to dedicate to this mod and then I have to shift focus to job related studies fro my new job starting on 4 Jan 2016.
AutoCAD Civil 3D for a civil engineering job. But I will need breaks from that so will probably still do some stuff in the evenings. :D

Back