Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Did you Know

I beg to differ...I was taught on this side of the pond it is over the heart on the left side.

http://thegallopingbeaver.blogspot.com/2006/11/poppy-etiquette.html

Thursday, November 02, 2006Poppy etiquette

Over coffee this morning I was asked a couple of questions regarding "poppy etiquette". I'll add that the reason I was asked is that, given the number of people in my favourite coffee hootch, I was one of two people actually wearing the small symbol of remembrance.

The first question was: When are we allowed to wear a poppy?

Whenever it suits you. However, presuming the query was related to this particular time of year, normally you wear a poppy from the start of the Royal Canadian Legion Poppy Campaign, beginning 27 October, until the end of 11 November. There are other occasions when a poppy is appropriate. Any ceremony or observance which memorializes veterans falls into that category. There is nothing to prevent anyone from wearing a poppy year-round and it is not considered wrong to do so.

The next question was: Where on my clothing do I wear it?

The Royal Canadian Legion suggests wearing the poppy on the left lapel or positioned on the left side of your chest, near your heart. That, however, is only a suggestion. More poppies get lost to driver's side retracting seat belts every year than most people imagine. There is nothing wrong with wearing a poppy on the right side, although at a Remembrance Day ceremony you will see veterans, members of the Canadian Forces and uniformed public servants wearing them uniformly on the left. My answer was simply to make a donation, get a poppy and wear it, preferably on the front of your clothing, showing no disrespect for the symbol or its meaning.

The last question was: How much is a suitable donation?

I could not and cannot answer that. It might do well, however, to keep in mind that the Legion uses the revenue from poppy distribution to assist ex-Service members, veterans and their dependents in a multitude of ways.

Veterans Affairs Canada provides some detail as well.

And, if you don't have a poppy yet, there's still time to get one.

29 October, 2007: There is a sudden influx of Google referrals hitting this page, particularly from the UK, from searches regarding "Poppy Etiquette". I looked for information which may be different from the Canadian information on The Royal British Legion's site. There was nothing I could find which would indicate that the proper wearing of a poppy is different between the UK and Canada. A further query to a friend suggests the Poppy Campaigns and suggested wearing of poppies are virtually identical in both countries.

Either side will do and if your tradition is on the right so be it...when we ever get a chance to see each other personally we can arm wrestle for the truth.

The Royal Canadian Legion suggests wearing the poppy on the left lapel or positioned on the left side of your chest, near your heart. That, however, is only a suggestion. More poppies get lost to driver's side retracting seat belts every year than most people imagine. There is nothing wrong with wearing a poppy on the right side, although at a Remembrance Day ceremony you will see veterans, members of the Canadian Forces and uniformed public servants wearing them uniformly on the left. My answer was simply to make a donation, get a poppy and wear it, preferably on the front of your clothing, showing no disrespect for the symbol or its meaning

That would be just great...I would have to canoe all the way back in shame. LOL

Back