Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Disappearing Player - warning to others: battlefrontwargamer(at)gmail.com

D

Dallmaier

Disappearing opponent.
Also refused to give me his FGM forum name, so just be warned about a player with the above dropbox address.

The world seems to be running out of honorable men - and gaming communities probably are also a mirror of the decay.

I was contacted by this player by email in reply to my post here. I guess only logged in members can send board emails?

++++Admin hat on.++++
If you experience a disappearing opponent who is a member please contact one of the admins in the first instance via the messenger rather than plastering it all over the forums and accusing them of being dishonourable. Sometimes admins are informed of members needing to take a leave of absence for personal reasons.

We all hate opponents that disappear from our games but you need to keep in mind that FGM members and the Combat Mission community as a whole comes from a wide ranging backgrounds in terms of both age and personal circumstances. Health issues in particular have known to strike some of our members quite suddenly in the past. Not to mention computers melting.

All I'll say on this one for now is the email address is an FGM member but I have not heard anything in this instance. @Bootie may have some additional words.

Taylor reminds everyone to play nice. :)
taylor-swiftt.jpg

I'd think you would find out pretty quickly around here if FGM regulars stopped playing a particular game due to bad sportsmanship or what have you.
As word would get around and people wouldn't want to play that person, which in a small gaming community isn't something you want to get that reputation in.

I had an experience quite a few weeks back of a person with no posts who asked for a QB game. It was a huge game with a map they made.
And with it taking so long to set up my attacking forces I wasn't best pleased on the first turn to find out that half of my setup zone was in full view of the enemy (including enfilading fire from a direction on my side of the map).
Needless to say I played for a few turns to be a good sport about it, but after losing many tanks in the first two / three turns I decided not to play that game and opponent anymore. I didn't even think it worthy of a surrender or ceasefire to feed his ego, as it was obvious the person just made that whole game in a way that just wasn't cricket and wasted time, I'd not have been surprised if he did a pre bombardment on the other half of my starting area in all honesty.

And to think when asking for a game the person stated how his last opponent stopped sending turns (I can only wonder why).
The opponent in question isn't around on the forum anymore.

But point being people like that will likely get bored because nobody will play with them once they're found out to be a bad sport.

Actually what FGM rules apply when an opponent (i.e. FGM member) disappears or flees the battlefield in the middle of a game without warning (no ceasefire, no surrender, no answer to PMs, etc.) ?

I already had to deal with that situation once in the past and did not complain about it.

However it is likely that I will be again confronted with this situation in the near future with one or two other (new) FGM members. The sad thing is that it takes quite some time to setup a game and play 40+ turns and not being able to finish it....:shocknaz:eek:_O:mad:

Actually what FGM rules apply when an opponent (i.e. FGM member) disappears or flees the battlefield in the middle of a game without warning (no ceasefire, no surrender, no answer to PMs, etc.) ?

I already had to deal with that situation once in the past and did not complain about it.

However it is likely that I will be again confronted with this situation in the near future with one or two other (new) FGM members. The sad thing is that it takes quite some time to setup a game and play 40+ turns and not being able to finish it....:shocknaz:eek:_O:mad:
It's a recognized thing that after 21 days if you haven't heard from your opponent you should then choose a victory......Providing that you have made the effort to get in touch with your opponent....this is a must

Last edited:
It's a reckonized thing that after 21 days if you haven't heard from your opponent you should then choose a victory......Providing that you have made the effort to get in touch with your opponent....this is a must

Crystal Clear ! Thanks Hedgehog. It has been a month in my case but I will wait a bit more, there is no rush. The flavor of a victory over a "ghost opponent" is somewhat mixed so to speak :confused:

++++Admin hat on.++++
If you experience a disappearing opponent who is a member please contact one of the admins in the first instance via the messenger rather than plastering it all over the forums and accusing them of being dishonourable. Sometimes admins are informed of members needing to take a leave of absence for personal reasons.

You must know this is the third game against that player. The first scenario which is not a tiny and short one, and the turn rate was excellent and has been 3-10 turns per day since the beginning.
It all went smoothly and the communication was friendly - until he lost two tanks. That is the only CM game I can afford to play and I waited ten days and then contacted a well known ladder player, if he knows if that player has reliability problems.

After that I received another turn and in the CMH chat he claimed he was "busy" and he vanished.

So I waited another two weeks. From five turns a day to maybve a turn in ten days and even disappearing from the CMH-chat I find totally inacceptable.
The internet is the fastest medium and I think its not too much to expect from civilized people to keep waiting persons for oneself informed and pause a conversation (or in that case a game), until I am ready to resume.

We all hate opponents that disappear from our games but you need to keep in mind that FGM members and the Combat Mission community as a whole comes from a wide ranging backgrounds in terms of both age and personal circumstances. Health issues in particular have known to strike some of our members quite suddenly in the past. Not to mention computers melting.

Is there anything more convenient than using email or even CMH to keep others from waiting?

All I'll say on this one for now is the email address is an FGM member but I have not heard anything in this instance. @Bootie may have some additional words.

Can you please PM me the name? Since its a member here and he disappeared from our game, I think I have the right to know the handle.

I will check this out later.... Been poorly with the winter flu myself recently. Urgh.

Thanks.

My personal rule-of-thumb on disappearing opponents is after three weeks of no turns/no contact, I will simply claim a default ladder victory and never play them again. :)
Here Here....It's a recognized thing that after 21 days if you haven't heard from your opponent you should then choose a victory......Providing that you have made the effort to get in touch with your opponent....this is a must.....I say like this because that's how it's always been......I am not on the Committee, but for me it makes alot of sense

Last edited:
Back