Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Dutch Frigates on my doorstep.

Bootie

FGM OWNER
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Today I went for a walk with the missus around the corner from our home. We ventured down into the harbour and I spotted these two ships so I decided to take a picture.

2Frigates.jpg

When I got in I did a bit of googling and discovered that the ships are 2 frigates from the Dutch Navy.

HNLMS Van Speijk (F828) is the eighth and last ship in the Karel Doorman-class of multi-purpose frigates.

Van Speijk was laid down 1 October 1991, launched 26 March 1994, and commissioned 7 September 1995.

She is the seventh ship in the Royal Netherlands Navy to be named after Jan van Speijk, who during the Belgian Revolution blew up his ship rather than let it fall in Belgian hands.

2491977440063228069jeczMX_ph.jpg

HNLMS Van Amstel (F831) is a ship of the Karel Doorman class of multi-purpose frigates (also known as "M-fregat" class) of the Royal Netherlands Navy.

In 1995 it assisted in the response after Hurricane Luis at the island of Sint Maarten in the Netherlands Antilles. It also was deployed in a multinational force in the Oman Sea in 2001/2002 in Operation Enduring Freedom.

In 2005 it assisted in the Dutch response to Hurricane Katrina.

2517812320063228069UMlVkV_ph.jpg

She is the seventh ship in the Royal Netherlands Navy to be named after Jan van Speijk, who during the Belgian Revolution blew up his ship rather than let it fall in Belgian hands.

Van Speijk was still on it when he blew it up. That's why ships are named after him. Had he managed to get away unscathed, I doubt he would have been remembered. Maybe he was a bit careless to get into the position having to blow his ship...

The Van Amstel was named after a naval commander of the 17th century, who pariticipated as (flag)captain in 3 wars among which the 1st and 2nd Anglo-Dutch wars. He also was part of the (in)famous raid up the Medway to Chatham.

Back