Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

epilepsy

Concord

FGM Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Do any of you guys have epilepsy or have family members or friends who have epilepsy?

One of my sons (just turned 15) has it. He's on medication, but he still has seizures sometimes. About one every few months. It's a bit scary for us, but he doesn't remember anything.
It is enough to disrupt his life though, and limit some of his options. For example, he can't go for his drivers license (his brother just got his). He can't ride a bike to a friend's house.

He has also had to limit his computer gaming, which he absolutely loves doing, and has an extensive group of friends online.
Most are school mates, including keeping in touch with former school friends that have emigrated to other countries with their families for work.
Having his gaming decreased has resulted in some unhappiness for him, but I want to get him interested in other things.

I've been trying to think of other things to get him involved in. Hobbies and activities. I've tried before with things like martial arts and tai chi, but he wasn't really keen.
I've recently suggested hiking, learning the guitar together, and even board games, but I don't think they hit the mark for him either (I haven't given up on board games though, heh heh - just need to find the right one maybe).
As far as physical pursuits go, I have to keep safety in mind. Team sports, climbing, riding bikes, swimming, sailing and other options have considerable risks for him. Golfing is one on my list to consider, although I've never done it myself.

I'm posting this here because I get the impression that all the members here have a broad range of interests and backgrounds, and you may be able to make some suggestions I haven't thought of.
Some of you, or people you know, may have the condition too, and have insights about things to pursue. Like most 15 year olds, he's right into games, but there are other fun things to do. I need to inspire him somehow.

Golfing may work as far as physical activities go, or maybe paintball? that can be exciting and fun.

Whatever you guys do just observe and ask questions... he's bound to enjoy SOMETHING you've tried eventually.

Photography may also work. Depending on his interests he could end up getting some exercise walking around cities for architecture or street photography or on nature trails for animals, birds or macro work. If that looks like something he would like I would recommend finding a local photography club - since they will likely organize outings and he can meet people that have different interests.

I was going to suggest photography as well. It is like therapy to me. But is light sensitivity a trigger for seizures? When it comes to games, a monitor with 144Hz might be less stressful for the eyes and thus less likely to induce seizures? And games with low level of color changes or sudden flashes of light. Like Strategic Command and such. Literature is of course another good way to relax. I wasn't much of a reader when I was young, but it really only takes one great reading experience, to be fully immersed in a book, to create a craving for more. Just have to find that first one. On a side note, look into Keto diets. A bit controversial and not all that easy to manage, but I've heard that it helps children with epilepsy as it calms the agitated neurons down.

Good suggestions @toXiczen and @A Canadian Cat - paintball and photography are ones worth suggesting to him.

@Badger73 and @Meat Grinder yeah it's a bummer. They take him by surprise. It has made me more aware of people who have family members who have much more serious conditions. The person and their family would have to bring all of their courage to each day. My heart goes out to them.

@rocketman When the pediatric neurologist does testing for epilespy, one of the things they do is subject them to increasingly rapid flashing lights while they are hooked up to an EEG monitor. While he doesn't seem to be particularly vulnerable to focal epilepsy (flashing lights), reducing games and electronics was one of the precautions suggested. For all the advances in medical science, much of the brain remains a mystery.

I'll look into the computer monitor idea and research Keto. I tend to do most of the cooking for our family (a man of many talents eh), and they are always healthy style.

@Hedgehog I agree. I need to step my game up too, especially as I get further and further into my year long student paramedic application process. I'm still in the running - group assessment and STAR interviews today (it's 7:20 am here). Come to think of it, he has shown an interest in the gym, but until this birthday he was too young to join. Those are good ideas Hedgehog. Maybe walk to the gym and back together each night (playing the theme to Rocky in my head).

I'll look into the computer monitor idea and research Keto.

I might have epilepsy, got tested when I was kid but the parents had conflicting views on the results so I don't know what was going on. It did put an end to my child Boxing career.

Whatever it was/is, it was not that serious as I think I have only had three seizures over my life. Recently I started to get consistent migraines ever month or two from different light triggers including the PC. I tried several things to try and mitigate this.

I bought a new monitor which has helped a lot. Before that I was using a pair ancient LCD's. I also make sure there is no serious sunlight or artificial light coming at me, especially from behind or the front when I am on the PC. Basically its in the dark. I turn down the brightness and put on the blue light filter. I try to set most of the backgrounds screens to a dark colour (e.g., Chrome, YouTube and FGM backgrounds). Amongst other things, I also cant stand to be under the new LED lights they have everywhere. I do not think I could live in a house with them.

It might be a good idea to try to steer him away from a career on a PC. I was doubling down on PC exposure with huge amounts of PC time at work and then in my leisure activities. At this stage I have decided to give away the work so that I can enjoy my leisure time on the PC. :D

The other thing I considered trying was the orange glasses like the ones you see Bono from U2 wearing. It was difficult to confirm if they actually help. They are supposed to be good for light sensitive eyes and also when you are on the PC. When you get desperate you will look into anything. It all sounded a bit cult like so I didn't do anything about it. From memory there were a few people in West Australia who did it. They were not Doctors. Maybe it could help not sure. Its still an option for me,

Good tips @Hardradi thanks. I had a friend with almost identical symptoms to you. He has emigrated to Canada though, and although I tried tracking him down recently using the internet, I couldn't find a contact method. So much for my Private Investigator skills.

On another note, I completed my next assessment for the paramedic role today, and I think it went quite well. Time will tell.

Back