Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Extraordinary Battle Scenes

Concord

FGM Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm starting this thread to share some lesser known battle scenes.
Obviously, there could be some 'spoilers', for those who haven't seen the movies.

The history of the world is certainly inundated with warfare.
While all the bloodshed is repellent, I am captivated by the drama of the conflicts, and more importantly, relate with the people who went through them.

Outlaw King is a 2018 movie about the 14th century Scottish rebelion against English rule, with Robert the Bruce as its focus.
Like the more famous Braveheart, it is filled with historical inaccuracies.

However the depiction of the battle at Loudoun Hill has close similarities to what little I have read about it.
The Scots are outnumbered and the English have heavy cavalry, but Robert uses the terrain to advantage.

Pitched battle at Loudoun Hill

April 9th is a 2015 film about the invasion of Denmark in 1940.
It tells the tale of a Danish bicycle infantry company send as a vanguard to slow the German advance.

The German forces fielded superior numbers and equipment.
The invasion lasted only a few hours before the Prime Minister ordered the surrender.

Contact

Danish troops defend Haderslev

Pike warfare with a twist; Sneaking under the pikes to stab them in the legs, a tactic I was not aware of until I saw the clip.

An extraordinary and lesser-known scene indeed. Cannons, muskets and pikes. Apparently guns were why heavy armour became less common.
But you still see late war medieval images of metal breastplates. And I've seen photos of WW2 Russian assault troops with metal breastplates too!

In the Total War Medieval series of games, you can see pike units that get 'infiltrated' like that, and some of the pikemen will draw swords to defend at the closer range.

I always knew that I had not survived half an hour in one of these fighting of yesteryear.

Used to be my favourite battle scene (the build up is gritty and awesome) until I realised the Romans didn't throw any pilums... oh well... and didn't fight in formation either... prefer this one... (just too short -- no pilums either, but they may have used them up already)

Back