Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Extraordinary Battle Scenes

The Battle of Rorke's Drift

Eleven Victoria Crosses were awarded to the defenders of Rorke's Drift, seven of them to soldiers of the 2nd/24th Foot – the most ever received for a single action by one regiment (although not, as commonly thought, the most awarded in a single action or the most in a day: sixteen were awarded for actions at the Battle of Inkerman, on 5 November 1854; twenty-eight were awarded as a result of the Second Relief of Lucknow, 14–22 November 1857).

Four Distinguished Conduct Medals were also awarded. This high number of awards for bravery has been interpreted as a reaction to the earlier defeat at the Battle of Isandlwana – the extolling of the victory at Rorke's Drift drawing the public's attention away from the great defeat at Isandlwana and the fact that Lord Chelmsford and Henry Bartle Frere had instigated the war without the approval of Her Majesty's Government.

Certainly, Sir Garnet Wolseley, taking over as commander-in-chief from Lord Chelmsford later that year, was unimpressed with the awards made to the defenders of Rorke's Drift, saying "it is monstrous making heroes of those who, shut up in buildings at Rorke's Drift, could not bolt and fought like rats for their lives, which they could not otherwise save".

Several historians have challenged this assertion and pointed out that the victory stands on its own merits, regardless of other concerns. Victor Davis Hanson responded to it directly in Carnage and Culture (also published as Why the West Has Won), saying, "Modern critics suggest such lavishness in commendation was designed to assuage the disaster at Isandhlwana and to reassure a skeptical Victorian public that the fighting ability of the British soldier remained unquestioned. Maybe, maybe not, but in the long annals of military history, it is difficult to find anything quite like Rorke's Drift, where a beleaguered force, outnumbered forty to one, survived and killed twenty men for every defender lost".

The Unknown Soldier is a 2017 movie from Finland.
It is the tale of a Finnish machine gun company in WW2.
It follows their battles with the Soviet army from 1941 to 1944.
You can see they have a strange mix of equipment - German, Finnish, and Russian.

River and trench assault

Placing mine up close

Bunker assault

ImB4vXU.jpg

The year is 1944. As the Battle of Tannenberg Line rages, Estonia finds itself helplessly trapped in the crossfire of two opposing forces. With the Red Army on the offensive, the severely outnumbered SS dig in to repel the Soviet advance on the Third Reich.
Half of their infantry are back to their homeland wearing enemy uniforms. Forced to fight against their own brothers, these desperate young men now must find a way to survive one of the bloodiest conflicts of World War II.

ImB4vXU.jpg

The year is 1944. As the Battle of Tannenberg Line rages, Estonia finds itself helplessly trapped in the crossfire of two opposing forces. With the Red Army on the offensive, the severely outnumbered SS dig in to repel the Soviet advance on the Third Reich.
Half of their infantry are back to their homeland wearing enemy uniforms. Forced to fight against their own brothers, these desperate young men now must find a way to survive one of the bloodiest conflicts of World War II.

I watched 1944 and some of the battle scenes were very intense.

Panfilov's 28 Men (A.K.A. Battle for Moscow) is a 2016 movie from Russia.
It is about a group of Guardsmen from the 316th Rifle Division who blunt the spearhead of the 11th Panzer Division heading towards Moscow (1941), for several days.

11th Panzer Division attacks

German infantry close in on trench

Panzers close in

With several postings of battle scenes from the brilliant series Band of Brothers, I thought the collective would find this both poignant and interesting........

Steve

Last edited:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

One of the battles from 'The 13th Warrior'

There are two or three extraordinary battles in the film, but I think this one is the best. I don't understand why the film didn't do better at the box office.

"It's alright little brother - there are more".
"Put your foot on it - and stand".

Panfilov's 28 Men (A.K.A. Battle for Moscow) is a 2016 movie from Russia.
It is about a group of Guardsmen from the 316th Rifle Division who blunt the spearhead of the 11th Panzer Division heading towards Moscow (1941), for several days.

11th Panzer Division attacks

German infantry close in on trench

Panzers close in

I have always wondered what real warfare in WW2 actually looked like. One thing that I highly suspect happened extremely seldom is infantry walking upright into HMG fire as one can see here. It seems to be a long lasting myth that equates all modern war with WW1 if there is a HMG involved.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I assume realistic dueling would look like and how long it would really last. No wushu kung fu swirling backflip kind of nonsense lasting ages.

Also a realistic looking duel with actors and extras looking like they actually came from that era. Not some pretty boys to get people to go to the movies. Both of the duelists actually knew how to swing the sabre in real life. There is some showing off here and flamboyant movement but that serves the purpose of psychological warfare. The rest of the fencing is quite to the point. In addition its just wonderful to hear the harsh polish language.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always wondered what real warfare in WW2 actually looked like. One thing that I highly suspect happened extremely seldom is infantry walking upright into HMG fire as one can see here. It seems to be a long lasting myth that equates all modern war with WW1 if there is a HMG involved.
I'm pretty sure there were many times multiple soldiers would have been caught in MG fire while advancing...either by surprise or with full knowledge of their presence.
But yeah, it is often portrayed in movies like it was the norm, when probably most soldiers and commanders would avoid such a massacre. Certainly not walking slowly while standing.
The movie Panfilov's 28 Men has plenty of cheesy aspects, in part because it was partially funded by the government. So scenes of the heroic defenders mowing down dozens of enemy is no surprise I guess.
But still, the scenes are pretty engrossing, and it does at least give you an idea of what things might have looked like on the eastern front. Yikes.

Back