Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Fairey Swordfish (Torpedo bomber)

Louis

FGM Lieutenant General
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Castelar, Buenos Aires Province, Argentina.
The Fairey Swordfish was the most important British biplane of the WWII. It was designed to fulfil two of the three main Fleet Air Arm requirements for aircraft, acting as both a torpedo bomber and spotter-reconnaissance aircraft. The “Stringbag”, as she became known, outlived the aircraft designed to replace her and remained in service until the end of the war.-

The Swordfish was based on a Fairey Private Venture (PV) design; a proposed solution to the Air Ministry requirements for a spotter-reconnaissance plane, spotter referring to observing the fall of a warship's gunfire. A subsequent Air Ministry Specification S.15/33, added the torpedo bomber role.

diLydiE.jpg

The "Torpedo-Spotter-Reconnaissance" prototype TSR II (the PV was the TSR I) first flew on 17 April 1934. It was a large biplane with a metal frame covered in fabric, and utilized folding wings as a space-saving feature for aircraft carrier use.

There were also three flights of Swordfish equipped with floats, for use off aircraft catapult-equipped warships. -

qygeBbP.jpg

The Swordfish pioneered the use of Air to Surface Vessel radar ( ASV ), by carrier borne aircraft to locate surface ship targets at night and/or through clouds.

Variants

Swordfish I
First production series.
Swordfish I
Version equipped with floats, for use from catapult-equipped warships.
Swordfish II
Version with metal lower wings to enable the mounting of rockets, introduced in 1943.
Swordfish III
Version with added large centrimetric radar unit, introduced in 1943.
Swordfish IV
Last serial built version (production ended in 1944) with an enclosed cabin for use by the RCAF

Specifications (Swordfish I)

Crew: Three (pilot, observer, and radio operator/rear gunner)
Powerplant: 1 × Bristol Pegasus IIIM.3 radial engine, 690 hp (510 kW)
Maximum speed: 139 mph (224 km/h, 121 knots) at 4,750 ft (1,450 m)
Endurance: 5.7 hr
Service ceiling: 19,250 ft (5,870 m)
Climb to 5,000 ft (1,520 m): 10 min

Armament

Guns:
1 × fixed, forward-firing .303 in (7.7 mm) Vickers machine gun in engine cowling
1 × .303 in (7.7 mm) Lewis or Vickers K machine gun in rear cockpit
Rockets: 8 × "60 lb" RP-3 rocket projectiles (Mk.II and later)
Bombs: 1 × 1,670 lb (760 kg) torpedo or 1,500 lb (700 kg) mine under fuselage or 1,500 lb bombs under fuselage and wings

Last edited:
I was wondering if there was any still flying and found:

W5856 is the oldest surviving airworthy Fairey Swordfish in the world. She first flew on Trafalgar Day (21 October) 1941 and was a “Blackfish”, built by Blackburn Aircraft at Sherburn-in-Elmet and delivered to 82 MU (Lichfield) on 20 October 1941 for overseas transport to Gibraltar. W5856 served with the Royal Navy’s Mediterranean Fleet for a year. Little is known of her role while on active Service in the Mediterranean but it is likely W5856 was based at North Front, Gibraltar, carrying out patrols over the Straits. She was then returned to Fairey’s Stockport factory for refurbishment during winter 1942/43.

https://navywings.org.uk/portfolio/...surviving,for overseas transport to Gibraltar.

Zp1eIQ8.png

Back