Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Favourite cars

3b3d49f0071f1781f27dc56fa3ce4117.jpeg

Owned a Mercedes Benz 260 SE back in the day. Even used it as our wedding car. Drove it myself.

Let's have em........

This is mine............as a boy I saw one of these for the first time whilst living in Brussels and was captivated............

Steve

Did you ever drive one? Brother of mine did and he found the brakes to be an on-off switch. Took some time to get usesd to.

@mTk: these used to be the cars in which the French president was driven. It is said that De Gaulle survived an attempt on his life because of its hydro-pneumatic suspension: tires shot to threads but the car remained driveable.

Did you ever drive one? Brother of mine did and he found the brakes to be an on-off switch. Took some time to get usesd to.

@mTk: these used to be the cars in which the French president was driven. It is said that De Gaulle survived an attempt on his life because of its hydro-pneumatic suspension: tires shot to threads but the car remained driveable.

De gaulle did indeed survive an assassination .......

In August 1962, a group called the OAS (Secret Army Organization in English) plotted an assassination attempt on President De Gaulle, who they believed had betrayed France by giving up Algeria (in northern Africa) to Algerian nationalists. Near dusk on August 22, 1962, De Gaulle and his wife were riding from the Elysee Palace to Orly Airport. As his black Citroen DS sped along the Avenue de la Liberation in Paris at 70 miles per hour, 12 OAS gunmen opened fire on the car. A hail of 140 bullets, most of them coming from behind, killed two of the president’s motorcycle bodyguards, shattered the car’s rear window and punctured all four of its tires. Though the Citroen went into a front-wheel skid, De Gaulle’s chauffeur was able to accelerate out of the skid and drive to safety, all thanks to the car’s superior suspension system. De Gaulle and his wife kept their heads down and came out unharmed.

It is said that after this attempt, De Gaulle would only ever travel by car in a Citroen DS.

As a slight aside, the convertible version of this car is also bloody gorgeous.

Steve

Back