Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Field of Glory II: 1000AD - Campaign in development

Early rough sketching out of next FOG II campaign idea ... RISK: Field of Glory II 1000 AD .... and a snapshot of my appalling handwriting...LOL

gFTd9F3.jpg

6 - 8 sides/players fight it out to dominate Europe and the Mediterranean in 1000 AD...
1. England
2. France
3. German Empire
4. Al Andalus (Muslim Spain & N. Africa)
5. Byzantines
6. Fatamids (Muslim Egypt and Med)
7. Rus (Viking Kingdoms in Russia)
8. Skandinavian Vikings/Norsemen

Steppe Barbarians as outside raiders (maybe Vikings as well, but 1000AD is past heyday of their raids?) -- each side starts with 3 or 4 core territories and starts expanding
Independent territories defense played by one or two DM players (myself and maybe a sidekick or two)

Papal State is neutral -- can only be attacked by Muslim powers.

Could be fun.

PS: and mostly a-historical of course ;-)

Last edited:
I'd probably be up for commanding one of the factions if you need players once you roll this out.

Slight bit of more refinement...

vuMHQxt.jpg

Dropped the Rus as a player faction (they will be raiders from off-map.
Replaced them with the Normans in Sicily (who start the campaign in Sicily with a fleet and a field army in place already -- they arrived as mercenaries and proceeded to carve out their own kingdom) -- everybody else will have to muster theirs first.

I am thinking of each faction having slightly different victory conditions and capabilities (Norse/Vikings will for example have wider-ranging naval capabilities)... some, like France & England, are a bit hemmed in.

There are several reasonably powerful non-player kingdoms/states: Poland, Hungary,Bulgaria, Emirates of Mosul & Aleppo (Syria) and Armenia, Leon, Lombardy, Brittany, Burgundy -- that will take some fighting to subdue.

Off map raiders include the Viking Rus (who raid into Baltic states and Poland) ... Pechenegs (who raid Bulgaria, Transylvania, Crimea)... Cumans (who raid Armenia & Crimea)

There will be no standing field armies -- there will be 5 phases impulse per TURN... the WINTER (diplomatic phase), The MUSTER (when new armies are built), 3 Campaign season phases (at end of 3rd phase, all field armies are disbanded) -- field armies can be kept in the field over winter, but will cost DOUBLE maintenance cost and suffer an attrition roll.

More concept as they develop ... (and then I strip them back and simplify ;-)

Hi guys,

which DLCs do I need to join this campaign? :)
If there are still free factions of course!

Quick snapshot of work in progress.

So every side will be able to build field armies of any strength from 1 to max of 10.

When setting up a SKIRMISH CUSTOM Battle battle to resolve battles in FOG2, you can adjust the points size of each army from 0 to 2000 by enabling the "SHOWING ADVANCED OPTIONS" function.

S5phDAO.jpg

So each strength point on a field army will represent 200 FOG2 battle points -- with a maximum size of 2000 points.
(armies in that period were usually limited by logistics and population sizes and absence of centralised states and standing armies, even amongst Byzantines)

nkh2g8E.jpg

So, in example above, the Normans in Sicily have used their fleet to allow their army to invade the Byzantine province of HELLAS with a 6 strength point field army.

The Byzantines respond by moving a field army of 7 strength points and battle ensues.

The Normans would have 1200 points for the battle (usual size for a medium battle) and the Byzantines 1400 points to but units for their army.

The Byzantine garrison unit does not partake in the field battles, but is an abstract representation of the fortified towns and forts and political control infrastructure in the region.

BATTLE casualties are then taken into account and deducted from the field army's strength points -- rounded up for the Victor, rounded down for the loser.

New version of map done ... much better I think ... play testing to resume...

L6FZCug.jpg

There are EIGHT sides/regimes ...

Four north & west European ones: Anglo-Saxon Kingdom, France, Germany, Viking Kingdom of Denmark

Four Mediterranean/Middle East: Al Andalus in Spain, Fatamids based on Egypt, Byzantium and the Normans in southern Italy and Sicily

The blocks in each province indicate ownership and the strength of the Garrison in place indicates for how many turns it can withstand siege (represents the fortresses and defensive infrastructure of the area)
The number underneath indicates the economic wealth of a province which will earn you points which will be spent on maintaining existing armies, garrisons and fleets ... and build new ones.

So there there will be relatively few mobile field armies that need to be husbanded and used wisely as they are expensive to build and maintain -- they are the only ones that can actually move and attack/invade or defend in open battle.

In above example you see a FRENCH (light blue) army of 6 strength points in Gascony and an Muslim Andalusian (orange) field army of 4 strength points in Granada.

The grey-ish neutral regions with neutral garrisons represent independent principalities and areas ... and if you attack/invade them, can raise a once-off army to defend against you (depending on the strength of their garrison -- details to follow)

As you can see, there are some powerful kingdoms and duchies in their own right: Poland, Hungary, Normandy, Burgundy , Bulgaria and the emirates of Aleppo and Mosul.

More details as I develop them.

Last edited:
Back