Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Field of Glory II: Roman Civil Wars -- Nelsonius vs Rico Africanus

TURN 4

We move right along -- with AFRICA back under control of the Rico Africanus faction, the die roll delivers up an invasion by the Barbarian Goths into THRACIA -- so I will have to fend that off (with @Nelson1812 playing the Barbarians in the FoG battle)

In the meantime, it's over to @Nelson1812 for his next move/attack.

983RLix.jpg

Somehow the gods have smiled upon us and I have managed to snatch a victory from the jaws of defeat (reverse of my usual strategy) by routing more than 60% of @Nelson1812 's force... note the the messy battlefield in contrast to the smart opening formations.

Two of Nelsonius's generals also perished in the battle ... their loss impacted quite a bit of enemy morale, especially in the infantry legions.
This means AFRICA province is back under its proper rulers. The wars continue with TURN 4...

dOdB6zR.jpg

That was quicker than usual.

When that pesky Barbarian horde just won't stand still and fight ... fancy maneuvers while defending THRACIA from the uncivilised invaders! ... wonder if there are evil schemes afoot?

My spies tell me that it must be Nelsonius faction gold that has bribed these Goth invaders to invade this province while our attentions are focused in fighting the usurper in AFRICA.

Hb0hi59.jpg

The Barbarian incursion was defeated with a victory of the narrowest of margins ... the THRACIA legions avoided defeat by the skin of their teeth against a wily Barbarian general.... and Roman commanding general paid with his life.

Taking advantage of this, the treacherous Nelsonius orders his legions based in MACEDONIA to invade PANNONIA in what looks like an effort to join his western and eastern territories and isolate ITALIA and Rome. Battle is joined on the Danubian plains...

cp4V42L.jpg

The new battle begins on the banks of a large body of water (I'll say it's the Danube) ... my forces at top right of map in blue, @Nelson1812 on left in red... starting on another side-step maneuver he so favours -- this time to his right, possible has another devious plan in mind like the one when he was commanding the Barbarians in THRACIA that nearly undid my legions. Another bloody, messy encounter is sure to ensue.

EvcAtvN.jpg

We end up with another "revolving door" battle -- my right flank, after eliminating his left flank cavalry, is now swinging inwards -- with light troops having overrun his "artillery" position... his light troops are routing my left flank cavalry and the light troops there are hanging on for dear life and his legion units that have side-stepped to the right are now pushing hard to crush my center... this is going to get interesting... and very, very messy.
(and disturbingly, @Nelson1812 also managed to keep some reserve cavalry and horse archers hidden in the hills off the bottom of the screenshot which are now coming into action ... more trouble awaits...)

gYgg5Fu.jpg

After the recent crushing victory, Nelsonius's MACEDONIAN legions are now in control of PANNONIA and on the doorstep of ITALIA and ROME itself.
What will his next move be...? @Nelson1812 After their bloody nose in THRACIA, the Barbarians are quiet this turn -- although they still rampant in GALLIA ... how long can that be tolerated while the squabbling factions fight over the imperial throne?

jGdEP5a.jpg

Indeed, ITALIA and ROME have fallen to the legions of Nelsonius ... Rico Africanus is said to have fled on a galley into exile in HISPANIA, no doubt with paid assassins hot on his heels -- the civil wars are over and Nelsonius is the new emperor. All hail Nelsonius! Well played, sir.

XzXskvC.jpg

On a personal note -- too much of a good thing and I'm a little Roman-Legioned-out ... maybe a change of scenery and different forces in order ... what say you, @Nelson1812 ?

@Nelson1812 and I have moved on to +/-500 BC Ancient Greeks vs Persians ... he is the Persians and has a gazillion archers (basically every Persian unit has bows) and a LOT of cavalry ... my Greek hoplites are actually outnumbering his force, but making heavy going of it ... much of my light skirmishers have been routed or killed already...

xW3lglu.jpg

Back