Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Field of Glory II Tournament - Assyrian Autumn - starts 13-Nov-2019

Badger73

One of the Few
FGM MEMBER
FOGII Tourament - Assyrian Autumn

The first round will commence on Wednesday 13th November 2019 at 10.00 am GMT. No further entries can be accepted after the tournament has begun.

This tournament will involve three rounds. The battles will be medium-sized custom battles.
  • 692 BC: The Elamites and Babylonians have rebelled against Assyria. Assyrian (681-608 BC) vs Elamite (815-539 BC) with Babylonian (626-529 BC) allies. Middle-Eastern Agricultural.
  • 677 BC: King Esarhaddon has sent a force to subjugate the Arab tribes of the Dead Sea area. Assyrian (681-608 BC) vs Arab (1000-313 BC). Middle-Eastern Agricultural.
  • 612 BC: The Medes and Babylonians have united their forces to bring down the Assyrian Empire. Assyrian (681-608 BC) vs Median (626-550 BC) with Babylonian (626 to-529 BC) allies. Middle-Eastern Agricultural.

Observations;

The average camelry has a hidden advantage against superior horse units since they disrupt them in their presence.

With regards to the light chariots I think I might want to use them in the skirmish line as opposed to on the flanks.

The heavy chariots I might put in front with the main line.

What do you think here Wellsonian.

Observations;

The average camelry has a hidden advantage against superior horse units since they disrupt them in their presence.

With regards to the light chariots I think I might want to use them in the skirmish line as opposed to on the flanks.

The heavy chariots I might put in front with the main line.

What do you think here Wellsonian.

The light chariots basically disintegrate on contact, so they should just be considered mobile ranged fire platforms. The problem with the Army List during the first round of the upcoming tournament is that you have to take a bunch of them. Basically, there are only about 5 or 6 unit types to choose from (non-Assyrian player). So avoid contact as much as possible by keeping them on the flanks.

The Heavy Chariots are better, but send them in when the percentage is good......they really need to disrupt/fragment on contact, because they can only hang in a melee for a couple of rounds, just due to numbers.

I'm taking as many camel units as I can afford when playing as the Arabs during round 2.

Last edited:
Yeah I dropped the light chariots in this. They are of little use since the opposition got archers in almost all ground units and can therefore disrupt them.

Thanks to our testing Wellsonian I managed to come out on top in the first battle (and currently on the top of the list) of the tournament. Dropping those light chariots was a good idea. My opponents had plenty and they did little for him.

Well, round 1 is over. Kudos to @olaf for scoring first place.
My first round oppo timed out on me in this tournament too. With my inflated 150 point score, I'm playing someone who's own opponent was a no-show as well. I am truly vexed at what to select for an Arab army. Asymmetrical ancient warfare anyone? :confused:

Well, round 1 is over. Kudos to @olaf for scoring first place.
My first round oppo timed out on me in this tournament too. With my inflated 150 point score, I'm playing someone who's own opponent was a no-show as well. I am truly vexed at what to select for an Arab army. Asymmetrical ancient warfare anyone? :confused:
Go camelry and irregulars. The camelry will surprise superior horse units. Irregulars will rely on mass, terrain and flanking.

Go camelry and irregulars. The camelry will surprise superior horse units. Irregulars will rely on mass, terrain and flanking.
Second round, I took every Camel I could.

Agreed. I plan to take all camels possible and thought I'd also take the rest as all the archers available.
It sounds like @olaf thinks we're better off with a good mix of Irregulars instead of all archers. Correct?

Well considering the opponent is armoured this time a standoff is less likely and therefore archers are less useful. He will try to close as fast as possible. As would I. The camerly has alot of archers though.

Back