Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

FIFA World Cup Russia 2018

My wife is German and that they dropted out, made her very happy:ROFLMAO: . My wife dont like most Germans :sofa:

Australia out but no one here is really surprised.

There hasn't been that enthusiasm there was back in 2006 when we acually qualified for the first time in decades. That World Cup had a whole country staying up to watch games at 2am in the morning across public parks and in the streets - and to actually win a game at that Cup was a national celebration. (Came back from behind to beat Japan). This time it was more a formality - no magic. Only the 'soccer' tragics are zealously interested.

There are no more accessible rivals. We already saw the surprises that this tournament is giving us, South Korea, Croatia, Senegal, Japan... before it was easy to beat them and they are not.

@Louis gotta wonder at Maradona's celebration.

Yeah man, I recognize that Maradona is not the best example of private life. Yes as a player, there really has been highlighted. He only loaded the team and carried it forward. A leader on the field, something that Messi does not have.

today...
6kEbNoD.png

F3g05kh.png

p9GkHJq.png

jj6kbYf.png

Yeah man, I recognize that Maradona is not the best example of private life. Yes as a player, there really has been highlighted. He only loaded the team and carried it forward. A leader on the field, something that Messi does not have.

Messi seems to do that very well at Barcelona.

Uruguay - Portugal -- probably Portugal

France - Argentina -- safe money on France?

Brazil - Mexico -- gotta go with Brazil (but Mexico are possible giant killers -- but Germany might just have been rubbish)

Belgium - Japan -- calling Belgium for this one

Spain - Russia -- close to call, but Spain probably too strong on a good day

Croatia - Denmark -- think Croatia

Sweden - Switzerland -- no idea, too close to call

Colombia - England -- Colombia looking very good, England not too bad ... probably favour the S. Americans in this one

But then, anything can happen in this game...

Uruguay - Portugal -- probably Portugal

Hopefully it will be Uruguay. Portugal playing one of the ugliest types of footbal. Despite having (one of) the best and most narcistic player(s) in the world.

Well,
Spain lost on penalties.
They should have been a bit more adventurous during the 90 minutes and then would probably have won.

Credit to the Russians who were disciplined in their game plan to the end, and then strong in character to win the shoot out.

I wonder what other surprises the competition will hold.

Lots of glum locals here in Tenerife.

Steve

who

Also,
Though no one has mentioned it, De Gea was very close to saving a couple of the Russian penalties - such a fine line between victory and defeat.

Steve

Another cracking game, won by Belgium 3-2 against Japan.
The Japanese were industrious and technically savvy in the first half and frustrated the Belgians.
Start of the second half came two great goals for them (vertongen should have gone with the runner rather than try to block the through ball and what can you say about the second goal - a true strike that was simply unstoppable.)

Two substitutions turned the game, especially the physicality of Fellani, and this the Japanese could not challenge enough to stop the inevitable.

The 3rd Belgian goal truly was a dagger to the heart of the Japanese, precise and clinical.

Thanks to both teams for a great game to watch, and no doubt the Japanese can be very proud of their performance, they gave it all and it was so nearly enough.

Steve

Back