Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Flashpoint Campaigns - Red Storm Player's Edition

I do too. It works really, really well IMHO. This game is alot like chess but with so much more. You should give it a try. You will love it.

How is the game in H2H play?
I bought Flashpoint Campaigns yesterday and I'm still learning the ropes...

Last edited by a moderator:
The game is pretty challenging I think. The C&C cycle is interesting, especially if you don't protect HQ's. Scouting is key, artillery is important, cover is important. Getting caught in the open and you pay dearly, but that can be said for any game you play. The Slithering/Matrix PBEM server is great, really makes PBEM play painless.

If someone is interested: hit me up. I've posted a public challenge on the PBEM++ system (as JacquesDeLalaing; scenario: Time to Dance). I'm new, so don't expect too much from me. ;)
EDIT: Already got a game running. Against a guy who has spent over 300 hours in the game. What can possibly go wrong? lol Forward, comrades!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
But the documentation leaves a lot to be desired. :(
How to know unit-delay (before you give an order)? There seems to be a huge, random variance here. What determines the "posture" of a unit? I can't see any consistency! Does readiness matter for the effectiveness of an artillery barrage? Does the type of artillery barrages only affect the chance to inflict losses or does it also increase the amount of readiness-loss? etc. etc.
Apparently, the devs plan to increase player control a lot for the upcoming title, Southern Storm.

Posture? Outside of moving or resupplying, I would think if you are in hold or standoff stance you are in combat posture. Readiness and morale suffer from casualties and also C&C integrity. You can co-opt or interdict your oppo's c&c by taking out HQ's, which arty is damn good at doing. Arty readiness is impacted by counter battery and movement, of course. Bottom line is this is a game of maneuver, recon, position, and conserving forces. I am not sure how much control one needs because as you are the overall force commander you issue the orders, your units execute them. Anybody accept your challenge yet if not, I'll track it down if you'd like. I also need to ping my old ATG buddy Nathangun and see if he's PBEM'ing yet. Good luck, I know that there is some black box going on with the game, but it's not a micromanager kind of game.

With posture, I was refering to dug-in/covered/exposed/very exposed. These obviously have a high effect on vulnerability, yes I can't see any consistency (except for "dug-in"). When my units move, their posture seems to switch from one posture to another without any apparent reason (cover on the current hex, type of order/movement). Also, the factors that the engine takes into account to resolve fires/engagements and how to determine order delay is a huge blackbox. And these are the most important core aspects of the game!

I's a pity. If it was better documented, it would really be an interesting game. Right now, it feels a bit random to me.

Well according to page 49(starting there) of the manual, your posture is very much dependent on the type of terrain you are in and the amount cover and concealment that terrain offers. Additionally, the type of movement order dictates how your units will act during the movement, bounding, and overwatch, in attack formation or column. Order delay is a function of if your units are engaged and if your HQ's are under fire or if a higher HQ has been destroyed and whether a subordinate HQ is now taking overall command. I agree that combat resolution is a blackbox process, but I believe that I read on the Slitherine/Matrix forums that they have extensively researched weapon performance and established some algorithms that take into account weather, the terrain in firing and target hexes and readiness levels, ammunition levels, etc., and you have to kind of take it on faith that they know their stuff. But given the operational scale of the game and units, I think the game engine does a good job of combat resolution.

I is a superb game and HOA_KSOP and I have been battling it out for several months now. Both winning and losing battles. I've got the time and spot to take on another opponent. Any takers?

Sure, we can start in a few weeks. I would suggest if you have the time to go over to the Matrix forums and look at the FlashPoint Campaigns thread, particularly the AAR section. You get a very good idea on how to play the game including strategies etc. PM me when you are ready and we'll start out with a nice introductory scenario. Cheers.

I have it also, I played sometime ago, but I want to go back to the cold war vibe. I would like to start an scenario with it as soon I go back from tutorials as Nathan.

Back