Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Fresh Meat seeks PBEM games(CMBN 3.11)

D

Dr_Powderfinger

What's up guys,

I'm a new member at FGM and anxious to face some human opponents in PBEMs.

I have CMBN(MG/CW) 3.11 but no vehicle pack. Open to any kind of parameters for battle.

Only played vs. AI with CMx2(Though I did play CMx1 PBEMs), so I might need a little handholding with the technical aspects of PBEM the first turn or two. Will install H2H and/or dropbox as needed...let me know.

I play frequently and should be able to kick out multiple turns per day.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi!

At the moment i cannot update my CMBN to 3.11 (i have other PBEMs running.. but they shouldn't take too much)..
Later i will be available for a battle.
Do you prefer Scenarios or QB ?
I can send my turn back at a good speed in defensive battles.

set something up and send the file Im up for a game if your still interested.

Kind Regards

Wildcard

Hi!

At the moment i cannot update my CMBN to 3.11 (i have other PBEMs running.. but they shouldn't take too much)..
Later i will be available for a battle.
Do you prefer Scenarios or QB ?
I can send my turn back at a good speed in defensive battles.

Sounds good jackal, Just let me know whenever you get fully upgraded and are ready to roll and send me a setup. Scenario or QB is fine.

set something up and send the file Im up for a game if your still interested.

Kind Regards

Wildcard

Cool thanks wildcard I'll get something set up and sent to you later tonight or tomorrow. Any preferences?

BTW are either of you guys using dropbox?

If you are still looking for another game I am available. I'm using dropbox with the email listed here.

I have no preference. Pick whatever catches your eye.

Thanks Puppet, I'm definitely down for another game.

I'll get something set up and sent your way in the next day or two.

If you are still looking for another game I am available. I'm using dropbox with the email listed here.

I have no preference. Pick whatever catches your eye.

Puppet-

Ack, as I mentioned in initial post I do not have the Vehicle Pack and can't open the game file you returned to me. I'd actually consider upgrading to the VP as well but I'm guessing that would mess up my current ongoing PBEMs with players that do not have the VP.

Am I understanding this correctly? Is there a way to play if we both have CMBN/MG/CW 3.11 but you have VP and I don't? And if I upgrade to VP, is there any way to continue my ongoing PBEMs with players that don't have VP?

So frustrating, BF seems to have made it difficult by design for owners of various upgrades to play each other.

Anyone else that has knowledge of these mysteries is welcome to chime in...

I thought not having the bp would be an issue paying someone who does.

If you want to send another game and just chooe a scenario then I think it shoud be ok. BuBut someone may know better than ne.

I'm not sure Puppet what works and what doesn't, but the file you returned to me is greyed out and the tooltip says it requires VP.

Do you think a scenario would work where a QB did not?

Could any vets out there give some insight as to what is possible as far as PBEMs between different versions? Is it possible for two 3.11 CMBN/MG/CW players to have a game if one has VP and one does not? And if I upgrade to VP, would it be possible to continue my current ongoing PBEMs with players that do not have the VP?

Hi guys - I don't really know enough to help, but my understanding would be the vehicle pack in itself shouldn't be an issue unless you chose a scenario using the vehicles from the pack. So perhaps the issue is more which version of the game you are running - and you are correct BF have made it much more frustrating to keep everyone involved in a game. Although I could arguably ditch some of them, I currently have three different installs of CMBN, two installs of CMFI, and fortunately only one install of CMRT though I could install the newest patch if I wanted to break the game (as some of my opponents have).

I am going to ask guys with more knowledge than me if they can correct me, and help you understand the issues...

@Mad Mike @Strachwitz @PhilM any advice for these guys?

Some short answers to your questions:

Is it possible for two 3.11 CMBN/MG/CW players to have a game if one has VP and one does not?

Yes, as long as you're not playing a QB or scenario which requires the VP (by using content - units - from the VP).
There has been some talk that actually it might be possible that you can play a game under such circumstances (one player having the VP and the other not). But no details or confirmations of this already being enabled have ever surfaced to my knowledge, so I guess it's save to say that this is not possible - at the moment.
You will always need to be at the same version though, for the game to continue.

And if I upgrade to VP, would it be possible to continue my current ongoing PBEMs with players that do not have the VP?

Yes, should be no problem, as long as you're at the same version as your playing partner.

Some short answers to your questions:

Yes, as long as you're not playing a QB or scenario which requires the VP (by using content - units - from the VP).
There has been some talk that actually it might be possible that you can play a game under such circumstances (one player having the VP and the other not). But no details or confirmations of this already being enabled have ever surfaced to my knowledge, so I guess it's save to say that this is not possible - at the moment.
You will always need to be at the same version though, for the game to continue.

Yes, should be no problem, as long as you're at the same version as your playing partner.

@Mad Mike beat me to the punch: I agree with what he says.

I'm not sure, though, if the "asymmetric game" (that is, playing a game using the VP for one side when the other player doesn't have it) IS possible yet or not? Needs testing!

It is to enable this type of activity that the activation and download arrangements have changed: e.g. the PC version of v3.11 patch - only, without the VP being bought - is such a large download because it includes the VP vehicle data. If you buy the VP after v3.11 patch, you don't need to download the VP, just activate what you already have "hidden" on you machine.

And, I'm assuming that it enables an asymmetric game because the player without the VP vehicles in his force needs the OTHER player's VP vehicles in his files, for the game engine to be able to draw the enemy vehicles as and when he spots them, etc. etc.

I did wonder at one point in the BF forum discussions on this whether the use allowed would be for BOTH players to have access to the VP vehicles - for both sides - as long as one player had bought the VP ... So the new activation system allows player B to use the content that player A has bought - but only whilst playing player A - and the content is "dormant" on player B's machine, able to be used in that passive sense but not enabled for player B's sole use until he buys it ... not a bad system, IF we get there.

It would be useful (well, seems like it to me anyway!) to try and start such a game now, with both players (as Mad Mike says) at the same version, 3.11, but one with and one without the VP ... and see if and how it works. Happy to test it out if anyone wants to ...

Don't know anyone who has actually tried that yet ...?

@Mad Mike beat me to the punch: I agree with what he says.

I'm not sure, though, if the "asymmetric game" (that is, playing a game using the VP for one side when the other player doesn't have it) IS possible yet or not? Needs testing!

It would be useful (well, seems like it to me anyway!) to try and start such a game now, with both players (as Mad Mike says) at the same version, 3.11, but one with and one without the VP ... and see if and how it works. Happy to test it out if anyone wants to ...

Don't know anyone who has actually tried that yet ...?

Phil - That's exactly what I was trying to do in my initial PBEM with Puppet. As I understand it, we both have 3.11 CMBN with MG/CW. Puppet has VP, I do not. I started a QB and sent the file to Puppet, who evidently had no problem with opening the file and sent it back to me. I am unable to open the return file however, with the file being greyed out and a tooltip saying "requires vehicle pack".

As mentioned by somebody else ~Mike I think~ it could be that Puppet bought some VP content in the purchase phase of our PBEM thereby rendering the game I sent to him unplayable when he returned it. This assumes the new functionality that Phil describes is not yet in the game...and I believe I saw a thread in the official forums a day or so ago saying so(that the new pro-compatibility functionality has not yet gone in effect as of 3.11).

Perhaps if I were to send another QB to Puppet, and he were to avoid VP content(or if I were to choose a scenario that has none), then we could have the PBEM continue. I'll give that a go(QB with no VP content first) and report back as soon as Puppet can chime in to let us know he's up to speed. I could also take on another game for experimental or non-experimental purposes if anyone else with/without VP wants a go as well...Phil?

Phil - That's exactly what I was trying to do in my initial PBEM with Puppet. ...

Perhaps if I were to send another QB to Puppet, and he were to avoid VP content(or if I were to choose a scenario that has none), then we could have the PBEM continue. I'll give that a go(QB with no VP content first) and report back as soon as Puppet can chime in to let us know he's up to speed. I could also take on another game for experimental or non-experimental purposes if anyone else with/without VP wants a go as well...Phil?

Apologies, I didn't read your posts closely enough to grasp that that (my bold bit of your post, above) was what you had already tried to do ... :oops:

Looks like the system isn't enabled yet: but you should be able to start your game with Puppet as long as he doesn't choose VP content for his side (or a scenario that doesn't have it).

I'm OK to take a game, experimental or not, if you'd like one: anything, any side ... you pick and send off a turn one file to a dropbox folder and invite me to share it :)

Phil - Sounds good, I'll set something up and send a dropbox link later this evening.

Puppet - Let me know when you have seen this thread and are ready to try again - we can try either QB(without VP content) or a scenario.

FYI update for anyone following the discussion earlier, Phil and I were able to successfully start a QB. Both have 3.11 CMBN/MG/CW. He has VP, I do not. He specifically avoided choosing VP content.

Of course Puppet and I failed earlier at starting a QB under same conditions, only I'm assuming(but can't be certain yet) he chose some VP content(he hasn't responded here yet to confirm).

Early conclusion: Games are currently possible if one player has VP and one doesn't....assuming matched versions otherwise and no VP content is used.

Still ready to rumble Puppet.

Back