Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Gary Grigsby's War In The Pacific: Admiral's Edition.

Sounds less like a game and more like a life commitment. Getting married, having children or WitPAE. Hmmmm...
Yes , u will be , must be committed to your pbem partner... imagine u take the plunge and play the Japanese in the campaign scenario, round 1200 turns, 4 years... and gentleman's code is u play the reverse of the scenario... there are those who leave in the first year...

You will keep notes, plan for operations that will come in months... taking notes as you travel in the subway, the guy next to you will look at you quizically... I once planned my counter-invasion of Bonin islands on a game map printout, flying next to a Japanese gentleman, going through my OOB and he did look at me .... differently

But if you play, imagine the satisfaction you will get as you reach the New Zealand as the Japanese army and cut Australia off or score an early Midway or stop the Japanese army in its tracks in Malaya saving Force-Z from destruction... peerless...

You were warned about this time vampire of a game...

GG games in general are in a class of their own. When the original War in the Pacific came out in the 90's I would wake up in the morning and play till the early morning hours. My arms and shoulders would ache. After playing the campaign game a few times and beating the computer and finishing off Japan I put it away and never played until the 2000s when a new version came out. I played the scenarios a few times h2h, then took up a full campaign game against a human opponent as the Allieds. I was new and didn't know the ins and outs of playing a real human. After a few turns he offered to restart after he wiped out my carriers. Once I knew what to expect we played till 1945. I was pumping out 2-3 turns per day on average and on the weekends 4-6 turns.

Soon after WiTP AE came out and we decided to start another campaign. Once again I was the allieds. I won't give it away, but any competent human opponent playing Japan knows what the drill is and as the Allieds you know what a competent player who is playing Japan will do and its cat and mouse for the first 6-12 months. After that it becomes a grind for the allieds. The end game is pretty grueling. To be honest by then it was more work than fun.

If you have the time, no commitments and willing to invest a good part of your life playing the full campaign against a human is something you should experience at least once in your lifetime.
5 full campaigns to the end, playing one more in 7 years - trick is to parallel play

5 full campaigns to the end, playing one more in 7 years - trick is to parallel play
How would you keep 'em straight if you played 2 games at once? I guess if you always played as Axis and Allies it would help.

How would you keep 'em straight if you played 2 games at once? I guess if you always played as Axis and Allies it would help.
start at the same , same or slightly different scenario, opposing sides taken...

I'm staying far away from these games... they'll cost me my work, marriage, kids, everything.... :LOL:

Oh believe me, I am planning for a raid to formosa now, year is mid 45... stronger Japan in the current scenario
I've seen a few AARs and noticed there is an auto-victory condition triggered depending on the score ratio. It seems to me that the late war is often not played because the Allies bomb Japan causing so much damage that they auto-win without having to invade the Home Islands. Is that true?
I'm curious how these simulated wars usually play out - having completed 5 campaigns you might have an idea...

I've seen a few AARs and noticed there is an auto-victory condition triggered depending on the score ratio. It seems to me that the late war is often not played because the Allies bomb Japan causing so much damage that they auto-win without having to invade the Home Islands. Is that true?
I'm curious how these simulated wars usually play out - having completed 5 campaigns you might have an idea...
only if u get the ratio ....not all get it, especially if Japanese player is adept at inflicting so much damage early on, the ratio is nevre achieved for an auto win. Soviet activation solves the problem though, they overrun Manchuria and Korea easily and can easily reach the main islands after...

only if u get the ratio ....not all get it, especially if Japanese player is adept at inflicting so much damage early on, the ratio is nevre achieved for an auto win. Soviet activation solves the problem though, they overrun Manchuria and Korea easily and can easily reach the main islands after...
Thanks - good to see there can be some variability in the outcome

Back