Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

General concenus on Armour rules

Tell Battlefront to add rarity to ALL German tanks (even PZ IVs) while you are at it. That would resolve some of the issues discussed.

I think it would be nice if they added a rarity value to all tanks. Doesn't have to be a big value for all tanks - of course Shermans should still be much more common than Tigers. But even Shermans were not present at all battles.

Yeah, in a game with Titan I bought six cheap Soviet strafers to make his life miserable... but his German Hun hordes just keep coming... gad! :) The counter historically to uber tanks was air and lots of it but its expensive in these games. The Soviet air is cheaper and they had a tactic, the "circle of death" where a flight of Sturmovik would find uber tanks and just circle above them and come in behind the ubers to strafe and bomb their rear ends... in the latter part of the war there was no defense against this tactic unless you had German AAA available.

Another point to watch for is climatic conditions, i.e. if an opponent wants strong wind for example that will effect your smoke, mist your lines of sight (I.e. expect hordes of SMGs coming for your you LOL. Again best thing to do is ensure you understand the parameters so there are no unpleasant disappointments.

@Titan - I fully agree with your overall thoughts about balanced mixed forces as both a better reflection of how history played out and the way historical forces are generally organized. I concur with other opinions expressed about combined arms choices as well. But , we're both prior military and tend to think that way in general.

Blah, blah.

Talking about strafe planes... I've purchased 6 or maybe 8 strafe Pe-2 in the RT game I'm actually playing against Titan and I could say that 12 point looks expensive to me because they have caused more losses to my troops than in those of Titan :shocknaz:.
I look forward to when i see your planes fly over..They helping me alot

What about the historical solution to tank dominance: night battles. Tanks (and other large calibres) rule the day, infantry rules the night!
If you were to attack a prepared position with mainly infantry, you'd almost never do this in daylight. Unfortunately, it doesn't look that good in terms of eyecandy (also: flaaaaares please!).

What about the historical solution to tank dominance: night battles. Tanks (and other large calibres) rule the day, infantry rules the night!
If you were to attack a prepared position with mainly infantry, you'd almost never do this in daylight. Unfortunately, it doesn't look that good in terms of eyecandy (also: flaaaaares please!).

The way it works in CM, both infantry and tanks become equally blind in darkness, then once somebody fires, everybody spots him, both tanks and infantry. So they are mostly on equal footing.

Well if you (tank) have a weapon with a 2km range and I (infantry) have a weapon with 200m range, then equal blindness works in my favour, right? :) Especially when I have to cross open ground to get to the objective!
Of course I'm not supposed to fire too early and give my position away. So I need to take out enemy pickets as "silently" as possible (make the fire fight short and crisp to reduce time of exposure; and don't be bunched up during exposure).
Shortened LOS also forces pickets to be much closer together in order to prevent a slip-through, so the opponent would need to assign more troops to that task.

PS: A small compilation of night engagements with tank-participation (!): https://history.army.mil/documents/237ACY.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
@Titan and I are playing a night game with dense fog (random weather setting was used). Talk about playing blind. Our forces are often in adjacent action squares before either spots the other.

yes its rather intersting...Being my first game at night it does take awhile to get the hang of it..Certainly adds another dimension to FOG of war

Well if you (tank) have a weapon with a 2km range and I (infantry) have a weapon with 200m range, then equal blindness works in my favour, right? :) Especially when I have to cross open ground to get to the objective!

You're right. I cut my teeth playing CMBN for several years, so I'm still somehow stuck mentally in the hedgerows where tanks rarely get the chance to dominate at range. But yes that makes sense of course.

if there is anybody that ones to put all the scary crack German tanks to the test I would gladly help out:)
I've created a couple of maps I'm testing out:) you can bring whatever you want:)

Back