Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

German World War II Panzer Ace Otto Carius Dies at 92

Bootie

FGM OWNER
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Carius died at home in western Germany Jan. 24 after a short illness, according to a statement Friday on the website of the Tiger Pharmacy, which he founded in 1956.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-1979-064-06,_Otto_Carius.jpg

He was drafted in 1940 as an infantryman and volunteered for a tank unit, according to his autobiography, "Tigers in the Mud."

Eventually promoted to 1st lieutenant, he was wounded multiple times and received several awards, including the Knight's Cross with Oak Leaves.

In the foreward to his book's 2003 edition, Carius defended his service to Nazi Germany, saying combat troops shouldn't be painted with the broad brush of guilt.

Carius, Otto: Tigers in the mud : the combat career of German Panzer commander Otto
Carius / by Otto Carius ; translated by RobertJ. Edwards.- 1st ed. /
(Stackpole Military history series)

PM me if interested in this account

Carius with a Tamiya model.
SgW7oFD.jpg

I read his book and it was very educational. As his preface to the book stated (I am using my own words); do not judge every German by what "the Government" did. Having been a draftee, I do not feel that I could be classified as a "Government guy", just like all the soldiers who served Germany during the war. I have not done the research and do not know the statistics, but I would bet the majority of those who fought were not Nazi's.
Just my thoughts guys

Back