Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Greetings From a "New" "Old" Member!

V

Vet 0369

Well, this is my third or fourth sign up. I keep forgetting that I have to periodically login, so I keep getting booted.

A bit about me. Former Regular and Reserve U.S. Marine, Air Wing and Infantry (1969-1981).

My entry drug was Avalon Hill Squad Leader in 1978. From that, it was easy to progress onto the harder stuff of Advanced Squad Leader (ASL) in 1983 (mostly on VASL). From that addiction, it was easy to hit the really hard stuff when a friend introduced me to Battlefront's Combat Mission Beyond Barbarossa (CMBB), and of course CMBO and CMAK, and to all of the CMX2 games and modules except Afganistan.

Glad to belong to The Few Good Men. It is a great group.

Greetings, @Vet 0369! You should soon receive @Hedgehog's Welcome Wagon hand-outs! They make good reading.

When you are ready for H2H play, consider using CMHelper to manage your matches.
Then, post your first request for a match either here or at the forum for the game(s) you own.

Welcome back to The Few Good Men. Good luck and good gaming! Have fun.

Welcome to FGM. Enjoy being back.

Thank you for your time served. Tough time to serve. I hope you some nice memories.

Army Infantry officer 1983-1999 Reserve Army Infantry officer from 2003-2015.

Big welcome to the Club @Vet 0369 The Few Good Men are welcoming you!.... You will find a lot of interesting people here
Please check out the links which are there to help you

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/
http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/forums/site-manual.25/
http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/forums/combat-mission-x2-world-war-two.160/

If you have any questions or need some help with the site, please feel free to contact our official welcome committee member Hedgehog and Shorker. he will be happy to assist you. Just click on the names in the members list or underneath the avatar picture and then on "Start A Conversation" or reply

@Vet 0369 welcome buddy.

Many years ago a group of friends and I got our hands on a second hand (or third or fourth hand??) Squad Leader and its add-ons. Long out of print, and Avalon Hill was a ghost.
Great gaming sessions. Huge maps. Each player commanded a Regiment or more.
ASL and VASL never took. Life had gotten too busy, and a different rule set was too much.
They had a ring binder for the rules like the manual for a fighter jet.

Busy lives is what lead to Combat Mission. It had many similarities to Squad Leader, and could be played in quiet moments.

Squad Leader had its real life challenges beyond life's responsibilities like work and family...
I recall the frustrations of moving stacks of counters out of the way to test line of sight between hexes with a thread.
And more than once we reconvened a battle only to see to our dismay that the cat had decided the map was a lovely place to stretch out for a nap. :p
Good times nonetheless.

Last edited:
@Vet 0369

Busy lives is what lead to Combat Mission. It had many similarities to Squad Leader, and could be played in quiet moments.
Thank you sir!

You don't know how right you are about CM's similarities to ASL.When we started our CMBB PBEM's, I told my friend that I could see the underpinnings of ASL in the games I explained about "To Hit" and "To Kill" tables and dice rolls, etc. I even brought the 2nd Edition rules and binder into work to show him. He was amazed, and that's saying a lot for a Flight Test Engineer. Many players don't know it, but Steve and Charles actually began as software designers who were working for Avalon hill to develop a PC version of ASL. That effort didn't pan out, but they eventually created Combat Mission Beyond Overlord (CMBO) each game became better, and the rest is history.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's hoping you don't become another passing ship @Vet 0369 (Ouch - put the claws away Zinzan)

As you probably know it's a fun bunch of gamers here, mostly reasonable, nice people (with exceptions) so stop drifting off, we need blood fed to us regularly, the fresher and prettier the better.

Anyways, welcome.

Many players don't know it, but Steve and Charles actually began as software designers who were working for Avalon hill to develop a PC version of ASL. That effort didn't pan out, but they eventually created Combat Mission Beyond Overlord (CMBO) each game became better, and the rest is history.

Yep, I was around when BFC was known as Big Time Software (lol) and Combat Mission was supposed to be a computer port of ASL.

I actually still wish there was a viable computer port of ASL.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Well, this is my third or fourth sign up. I keep forgetting that I have to periodically login, so I keep getting booted.

A bit about me. Former Regular and Reserve U.S. Marine, Air Wing and Infantry (1969-1981).

My entry drug was Avalon Hill Squad Leader in 1978. From that, it was easy to progress onto the harder stuff of Advanced Squad Leader (ASL) in 1983 (mostly on VASL). From that addiction, it was easy to hit the really hard stuff when a friend introduced me to Battlefront's Combat Mission Beyond Barbarossa (CMBB), and of course CMBO and CMAK, and to all of the CMX2 games and modules except Afganistan.

Glad to belong to The Few Good Men. It is a great group.

WOW-Someone on this forum who is older than me!! I had a few AH games from the 70's also. I dont remember the names but I do remember one that was based on WW1 trench warfare. I used to PBEM using CMAK with an Army vet back in 2004 and am just getting back into gaming after I retired. Anyway, Semper Fi Marine and thank you for your service.

Thank you all for your warm welcomes and kind words, and yes, I'm older than dirt! I'm actually old enough that I get a bit uncomfortable when someone thanks me for my service "Just doing my job Ma'am," and respond with you're welcome.

If we really want to thank Servicemen and women, do it by voting!

Hi Vet 0369!

Welcome aboard from a Fellow Vet from your era as well!
You will find an active community here in both CM-1 and CM-2, so I am sure you will find plenty of opportunity to “Do Battle” on the CM Front with the FGM!
All the Best on your upcoming battles!
Adio!

Back