Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Greetings from lead of Burden of Command Team

@mTk I am quite shocked to hear there is such a thing as wargamers with opinions. SHOCKED.
@Rambler the Pacific is an interesting and tricky one. Honestly I had to stop several time and put the book down for a few weks when reading "With the Old Breed." It was just too horrific. Incredible book, very hard read. Feels almost masochistic, sadistic to make that a BoC game. A new youtube video (see rambj) analysis suggested a game from the Japanese standpoint for a different mindset. Maybe revisiting a campaign from both sides as was done with Letters from Iwo Jima and Flags of Our Fathers would be interesting.
So many possibilities. And @Bootie we're not in it for the money (or why would we do a wargame LOL) so while we do need sales so we can do more campaigns we are going to pick as much as what we and you think are interesting as on business.
Well, let opinions commence then! ;)
From the little I've seen and read so far, besides ETO and MTO, the Pacific and Winter War modules seem to align more with the thrust of your game; combat leadership decision processing in the crucible of war. Battlefront will likely never develop a Pacific Theater Combat Mission game because that theater is primarily about strategic logistics and the tactical grind of frontal assaults. Because "Burden of Command" seems to be driven more by the decision tree logic of combat's harsh dilemma's, I concur with @Rambler that the PTO offers much to develop. I agree that German Late War, Soviet Commissar, Chinese Civil War, WW2 Sino-Japanese theater (except for Vinegar Joe and Merrill's Marauders) probably don't because of rigid doctrine and draconian controls. Russo-Finnish "Winter War" would be very interesting if you have thorough access to original source materials. "Viet Nam" would be controversial (and difficult for me) but well worthwhile. Iraq and Afghanistan would offer great comparisons of different NATO doctrines confronting similar missions, similar conditions, and similar foes making for great leadership laboratories. I like BoC's design intent and wish all ya'all the best of luck and success.
Opinion <off>
I signed up to be a play-tester today. Please don't reject me just because @Meat Grinder can tear the stuffing out of me so readily in Combat Mission . . . :shocknaz:

@Zinzan that is a kind welcome. And a pretty groovy (trippy?) avatar. Thanks for the heads up on the writeup! In return I will alert you there are some youtubes analyzing the game at thehistoricalgamer and ramjb which be of interest.

Nice by lines. Mine I will try add now is from my favorite WWI poet Wilfred Owen: 'My subject is War and the Pity of War. The poetry is in the pity'.

@Badger73 I see clearly that these is a thoughtful gathering. Honestly, I hadn't thought about the doctrinal restrictions on the Soviet leaders as a restriction on general leadership decision making. Doh!. Not sure that would be true of Germans given emphasis on initiative. Also there is an interesting angle on trying to survive as a moral person in a repressive regime. An interesting game on that is "Papers Please" which I have not played but has had a good reception. An interesting book on that on the Soviet side is Life and Fate.
May I ask your opinion of Marlantes Matterhorn? If you are comfortable with the question. Or his "What It is Like to Go to War." Feel free to ignore the question.
Thanks for the signup too.
Luke

@Badger73 <snipped>
An interesting book on that on the Soviet side is Life and Fate.
May I ask your opinion of Marlantes Matterhorn? If you are comfortable with the question. Or his "What It is Like to Go to War." Feel free to ignore the question.
Thanks for the signup too.
Luke
@Luke Hughes, I am not familiar with Karl Marlantes writing. I will check him out and let you know. Thank you for mentioning him.
I found Tim O'Brien's Vietnam non-fiction memoir, "The Things They Carried" well worth my while. The Vietnam era fiction I hold high are oddly enough science fiction works; Joe Haldeman's "The Forever War" is good, any of David Drake's "Hammers Slammers" pieces but especially his "Redliners" superbly capture the gorgon face of war.
Appreciate the reading suggestions. Welcome to FGM!

@Bootie Might be an idea to move/copy this to it's own thread in the general gaming discussions? It's very interesting and I'd hate it to be lost to others in the intro thread.
(Possibly sensible suggestion from Zinzan? My gawd what HAS he been drinking? :shocknaz:)

@Bootie Might be an idea to move/copy this to it's own thread in the general gaming discussions? It's very interesting and I'd hate it to be lost to others in the intro thread.
(Possibly sensible suggestion from Zinzan? My gawd what HAS he been drinking? :shocknaz:)
I agree with @Zinzan!
<cough>/<gasp>/<moan> Woe is me! Now I am truly doomed . . . :eek:

Someone moves it or starts a new one I'll move with it. I'm Forum Mobile.
Just alert me here. Thanks.

I agree with @Zinzan!
<cough>/<gasp>/<moan> Woe is me! Now I am truly doomed . . . :eek:
@Badger73 Welcome to the dark side :) - Ah my precious, we is growing - feel the power, the influence, it is intoxicating is it not...... (errr Medic! errr losing signal here.... don't help him, please, I'm not so bad.......)

@Luke Hughes My pleasure for link. I'll continue following with interest.

You're the first for modern warfare, but it's a very good suggestion. Delicate topic of course. Good book (IMHO) "Outlaw Platoon." Vietnam would be an obvious one as well.
Whilst Vietnam, Afghan, Bosnia, etc all have similiar delicate problems the situations faced were very common during the Cold War

Not much time right now but have you considered a module on the lesser cold war wars eg. Congo, Rhodesia/Zimbabwe, Angola, Malaysia, various South/Central American wars. Whilst less well known they have a LOT of moral/ethical/troubling decision making for Commanders and were psycologically more intense in many ways.

Vasily Grossmans "A Writer at War" is also very inspirational - I'd assume you have already read due to reference to Life & Fate - A truly Great Book.

@Bootie .. I feel transported!
@Zinzan I have not. Very ignorant on those fronts but you are right they would pose a lot unusual non tactical leadership issues. In fact the whole counter insurgency aspect is something I stupidly have not thought about and should. So much time devoted to the non battleground. Ripe for our approach. "A Writer at War." I have not! It took fortitude to get through Life and Fate but I was glad I did. Will have to lok into "A Writer at War." His personal story is very moving. Thank God the Life and Fate manuscript survived.

I will not post simple new media hits but I will post ones that provide substantive new content if that is agreeable. The grogheads have posted an interview. New details and some new media. BTW, factual error, I am figurehead for team, not "main brain" LOL:

http://grogheads.com/interviews/15577

Let me know if inappropriate to do this.

Back